RIP Sir Patrick Moore

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: RIP Sir Patrick Moore

Postby Ghost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:17 pm

He'll always have a place in my heart as the games master

Rest In Peace
Last edited by Ghost on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm

I fixed your link, Ghost. :)

Gamesmaster was classic! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Ghost » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:26 pm

thank you
Ooh you cheeky little sea winkle
Ghost

Postby Del » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:49 am

We didn't get his show here but knew of him. My father sat us on the front steps most nights and showed us the stars. I still think it's the most spectacular show on earth.

Most people don't have a father like mine to show them the universe . For them they had Patrick Moore

RIP
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:56 pm

He was a real war hero - 5 years as a navigator in the RAF- won the Military Cross - Some have questioned whether this sickly teenager was an unlikely candidate for the RAF, and suggested he actually worked as a spy. Tantalisingly, he let slip that the war meant he learned ‘enough Norwegian to get by’. - ‘I got involved in things one doesn’t write down or talk about. Things? All right, intelligence. I’ll say no more than that,’ he admitted last year. He hated the Germans right up to the end - "if I saw the entire German nation sinking into the sea, I could be relied upon to help push it down." - (2003) "The only good Kraut is a dead Kraut" - (2012)
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:42 pm

He didn't seem to like many foreigners, perhaps not one of his more endearing features.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby simmonds91 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:31 pm

Can't say I blame him considering he went to war, makes sense you'd end up hating a type of person/s who tried to kill you and your friends at some point.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby pip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:50 pm

Also his Fiance was blown up by a german plane while driving an ambulance. He never married so she meant a hell of a lot to him.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm

There was a difference between Germans and Nazis that he couldn't really appreciate. He didn't much like women either (or certainly had no respect for them). I don't think women can be blamed for that.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:50 pm

my great uncle was a japanese pow on the railway, he wouldnt even have anything japanese in his house, im not condoning this behaviour but i can understand it to a certain extent

the woman thing is just a bloke thing :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 pm

The POW thing I definitely could inderstand, but Patrick Moore actually worked with a scientist after the war (Von Braun), who was in the Nazi party and made bombs. And he counted him as a friend. It was just a bit of an odd attitude, is all I'm saying. Not that I would be in a completely normal frame of mind if someone dropped a bomb on Mr Dotsie, but still, odd.
Dotsie

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:38 pm

Patrick served with distinction and under age as a navigator with Bomber Command during the war. I believe (on the basis of dark hints made during late night conversations) that he also spent time on special operations in occupied Poland, where his youth and assumed Irish identity afforded him a plausible (but surely high-risk) cover story. An encounter with what he referred to as ‘a working concentration camp’ led to his lifelong professed dislike of Germans (“apart from Werner von Braun, the only good German I ever met”). ~~ David Rothery

- an encounter with a working concentration camp. Did he see Germans herding people into "showers"? We'll never know.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby high eight » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Dotsie wrote:Patrick Moore actually worked with a scientist after the war (Von Braun), who was in the Nazi party and made bombs. And he counted him as a friend. It was just a bit of an odd attitude, is all I'm saying.

I don't think it is odd: It is very human to say "I hate all [whoever] except my friend [Fred Bloggs] who is the only good [whoever] I have ever met. I know plenty of prejudiced people with that sort of attitude.

Personally, I'm with Tom Lehrer on the subject of Nazi scientists:
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum