Breaking News : New Royal Babby

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Breaking News : New Royal Babby

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:42 am

You know, one of the reasons I got rid of my TV set was because I was getting fed up with the way so many programmes were devised to make people look stupid. All these "talent" shows and "reality" shows are basically sneering at the antics of people who think that being on TV will somehow make them famous, when what they generally end up looking, is stupid.

There is far too much getting laughs at other people's expense and pushing things as far as possible. I don't like that sort of show and, at least when I last watched TV regularly, there seemed to be far too much of it.

This whole thing is another case of entertainment by making people look stupid. Until this death those DJs were being applauded for what they did. People thought it was a huge joke. And the butt of that joke was the staff at the hospital. Try putting yourself in that situation and ask yourself how easily you could shrug off millions of people thinking you were stupid. Or that your job may be under threat because of that.

I find it very easy to understand how this might have been a major contribution to the death of this nurse. It may possibly have been the final straw in a series of events. Everybody has their breaking point.

If someone is happy to take the applause when a stunt like this works, they should be prepared to take the consequences when it goes horribly wrong. If nothing else comes out of this, at least it may make idiotic pranksters think twice before exploiting another people for laughs.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:14 am

To tell the truth, Tony, there was actually more than a little condemnation of what they did in Australian media before the nurse died. I myself thought it idiotic (and I detest idiocy), but non-malicious. Unfortunately, sh**'s gonna fly over this, and heads, one way or another, will roll.

Another point worth making is that this is the same radio station that hosted Kyle Sandilands, who is basically the Aussie bastard mutant offspring of Russell Brand and Simon Cowell. So they're no strangers to controversy.
Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:44 am

One question that was touched upon by a tv program I watch was just how much did the press hounding the nurse have an effect on her? :?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Alanz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48 am

With Royalty using that particular Hospital you'd think that they would have some sort of Phone system in place with trained operators so they could detect any unwanted calls 8-)
Alanz

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:07 am

If what the DJs said is true, and they thought they'd be hung up on right away, after they got as far as they did, surely to gods someone must have thought about the consequences of broadcasting it - the minimum consequence being that somebody might well lose their job over this "prank"?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:24 am

Alanz wrote:With Royalty using that particular Hospital you'd think that they would have some sort of Phone system in place with trained operators so they could detect any unwanted calls 8-)

What sort of training? It's a phone! Everyone knows how to use one ;) You might think that a password would help, but if it got out it wouldn't be much use. And if the royals wanted a password, shouldn't they have said so? Presumably the royals were perfectly happy with being put straight through to the ward until someone else tried it - if the queen herself got put off, wouldn't this be cause for a bollocking as well? This has arisen because the queen doesn't have to follow the usual rules - any other hospital, and they wouldn't give out info over the phone. So the fact that the royals use this hospital seems to have made their security more slack :?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Alanz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 am

if you ring Buckingham palace you don't get through to the Queen. so What i think because of all the high profile patients there they should have is a switchboard and operator to intercept allcalls and if they think it was a hoax call or were not sure they could pass the call on to a Supervisor or Manager to deal with 8-)
Alanz

Postby Batty » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:26 pm

Del wrote:I think anyone would agree any loss of life is tragic. Personally I believe there's more to this woman's situation.

The young DJs are being hung out to dry over this. Upper management at the station approved chestunt and are ultimately responsible. Yes you do need permission to record a person's conversation here in Australia . Seems they didn't get it. Thing is... until the death happened everyone thought twas funny...
Can't agree with you there, Del. Everyone did not agree it was funny.
To reiterate my earlier post:
Batty wrote:... However, Christian and Greig were not setting up a politician or someone in the public eye, who may need to be brought down a peg or two, they targeted members of the nhs, with no thought as to whether the nurse / receptionist could lose their job if they succeeded, and no thought given as to what consequences their actions would bring.

Even politicians, royalty, celebrities etc., have a right to have their medical files kept private, so no excuse can be given for Christian and Greig's actions.
I hope they get banned for life.

I also totally agree with Tony.
Tonyblack wrote:
There is far too much getting laughs at other people's expense and pushing things as far as possible. I don't like that sort of show and, at least when I last watched TV regularly, there seemed to be far too much of it.

This whole thing is another case of entertainment by making people look stupid. Until this death those DJs were being applauded for what they did. People thought it was a huge joke. And the butt of that joke was the staff at the hospital. Try putting yourself in that situation and ask yourself how easily you could shrug off millions of people thinking you were stupid. Or that your job may be under threat because of that.

I find it very easy to understand how this might have been a major contribution to the death of this nurse. It may possibly have been the final straw in a series of events. Everybody has their breaking point.

If someone is happy to take the applause when a stunt like this works, they should be prepared to take the consequences when it goes horribly wrong.
If nothing else comes out of this, at least it may make idiotic pranksters think twice before exploiting another people for laughs.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 pm

You'll get no argument from me Batty . I have never been a fan of the stunts.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:33 pm

And they usually bring out little in me barring indifference.

Of course, Dead Ringers is usually funnier. But I wonder if they get permission in advance? :think:

Here's an example...

Have you seen the size of human brains? They're hilarious!

-The Twelfth Doctor
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:21 pm

TMZ.com

There's some serious hypocrisy at the Australian radio station that pulled the plug on the Kate Middleton pranksters -- because the station has a history of setting up dangerous stunts ... some purposely designed to cause panic and mayhem.

2DayFM's "Kyle and Jackie O" show aired a segment called "Desperate Acts" back in 2009 ... where a listener was given $1,000 to call her sister and convince her their mother was injured, bleeding, and in need of medical attention.

It worked ... the sister called 911 and sent paramedics speeding to the mother, who was totally fine.

That hoax prompted a police investigation.

Later in 2009 ... Kyle and Jackie O hooked up a teenager to a lie detector while her mother grilled her about her sex life. The stunt blew up in their faces when the girl suddenly revealed she had been raped when she was 12.

That segment led to another police investigation, and got the DJs a week-long suspension.

Additionally, 2DayFM has reportedly been on probation multiple times for violating Australia's broadcast code.

Despite getting repeatedly slapped on the wrist for their stunts ... 2DayFM honchos still signed off on Michael Christian and Mel Greig pulling the Kate prank.

2DayFM's response to the nurse's death has been that "no one could have predicted" the tragedy -- arguably true -- but they've also broadcast stunts where tragedy is not only foreseeable, but desired.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:40 pm

The company that owns the radio station responsible for the Kate Middleton radio prank says it has "terminated" the show ... and will implement "a company-wide suspension of 'prank' calls."

Southern Cross Austereo (SCA) issued the statement this morning saying it still feels "deep regret" for the death of hospital nurse Jacintha Saldanha following the prank ... and "take the events of the last few days very seriously."

SCA says it has taken the following action:

- The suspension of all advertising on 2DayFM until further notice;
- The termination of 2DayFM’s Hot 30 show;
- A Company-wide suspension of “prank” calls
- A comprehensive review of relevant company policies and processes

SCA says it has tried to reach out to the hospital, but had "no success."

SCA doesn't believe it broke the law by making the calls ... but says it will cooperate with any police investigation.

SCA Chief Executive Officer Rhys Holleran added, "First and foremost we would like to express our deep and sincere condolences to the family of Jacintha Saldanha for their loss. We are very sorry for what has happened.”

He says SCA is also "providing support to our people who are deeply saddened by this tragic and unforseen event.”

As we previously reported ... before they were suspended, the DJs were actually BRAGGING about the call -- in which they impersonated members of the royal family to get information about Kate's medical condition.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Alanz » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 pm

Why make them in the first place, and why has something bad got to happen before anything is done about stopping it?
Alanz

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:50 pm

My thoughts exactly, but then again, I've never been into practical jokes or pranks.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:55 pm

You're funny enough ;)
But it is true. They push and push til something bad happens and then the reviews start. The station approved an illegal invasion of personal medical info and then suspends/sacks the DJs . The station is even more responsible.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum