File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby raisindot » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:58 pm

There's a great book about America's meth problem--Methland: The Death and Life of an American Small Town, by Nick Reding, that examines how meth became the drug of choice in rural America and how it has devastated so many small towns in the late 80s and 90s (and probably still does today). One of the more interesting stories is that the sister of Tom Arnold (the mediocre comedian once married to Rosanne Barr) was one of the largest meth dealers in the midwest.
raisindot

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:15 pm

Dotsie wrote:I have sympathy that their lives have been devastated by something like this, they can't have had any idea. That, or their lives were so bad to begin with, addiction feels like a step up.

sorry dotsie i disagree, they know wot this drug will do to them, theyve seen it on the streets for years and the outcome of it, now i do sympathies with the causes of this epidemic but there are plenty of people around that dont break into houses, mug people and steal anything that isnt nailed down to feed a habit, i recognize that these people have an addiction, so do i, i smoke and i know the harm it is doing to me but yet again i wasnt forced into smoking so its my choice as is taking crysmeth for them
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm

But if you got ill chris, I would still feel sympathy for you ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:03 pm

god im always bloody ill :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Dotsie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:31 pm

And I'm always sympathetic :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:18 am

I have sympathy for addicts who want to try and give it up. But I also understand that giving up an addiction is [EFF!]ing hard. I've studied this at university. I studied drug addiction for my Masters. Drugs kick the reward mechanisms into high gear, and kick other considerations in the testicles, and while they DO have a choice taking a drug in the first place, Chris.PH, it can be hard, especially when it comes to crystal meth, to kick the habit. And unfortunately, shock images like the ones posted on the Daily Mail website don't always work. We have smoking-related ones on cig packets here in Australia, but I doubt that it stops people smoking. Drink-driving shock ads also only go so far.

Anyway, that whole 'they had a choice' schtick is probably used by more than one drug dealer to justify their selling drugs.

BTW, those images are [EFF!]ing freaky and [EFF!]ed up. Are those average meth-heads? Or do the drug council people trawl the files looking for the worst ones?

Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't go anywhere near a meth-head. Paranoia, conniptions that would put tennis players to shame, and looking like an extra from a George Romero movie. *shudders* No thank you.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Del » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:36 am

Just once.... famous last words.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:16 am

Del wrote:Just once.... famous last words.

Sorry? I don't get it. :|

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:08 am

As in, they'll just try drugs once. But of course you can't.
Dotsie

Postby ChristianBecker » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:10 am

Perhaps what confused Q is the fact that they wouldn't be last words.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:59 am

Indeed. I usually associate different phrases with last words. Like 'I wonder what this button does', or 'hey, watch this!', or 'what bus?', or 'I divided by zero. Oh sh-'. :|

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby MongoGutman » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:41 pm

or hey guys, lookit this!
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:42 pm

I did say "Hey, watch this!" in my list.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:46 pm

The words of a rape victim - "If only I had teeth down there" - have inspired the design of a new anti-rape device.

Rapex - dubbed the 'rape trap' - is a product worn internally by women. The hollow inside is lined with rows of razor-sharp hooks, which are designed to latch on to a rapist's penis during penetration. They can only be removed by a doctor.

The product will be on the shelves of South African chemists and supermarkets later this month. South African mother-of-two Sonette Ehlers developed the original prototype in 2005 but has struggled to get it patented and approved for sale, not least because of staunch opposition from feminist groups.

"Vengeful, horrible, and disgusting," was the response from Charlene Smith, one of South Africa's leading anti-rape campaigners. Lisa Vetten, of the Centre of Violence and Reconciliation in Johannesburg, says: "This is like going back to the days when women were forced to wear chastity belts. It is a terrifying thought that women are being made to adapt to rape."

Some also fear that the sudden infliction of pain on the rapist could incite him to even greater violence.

Ehlers, however, is adamant that desperate times call for desperate measures. South Africa has the world's highest rate of sexual assault: a staggering 1.7m women are raped each year. She believes the product, priced at one Rand, will be particularly useful for poorer black women who walk long distances to and from work.

With state intervention frustratingly slow, Ehlers argues this ugly version of empowerment is justified. "I don't hate men," she says. "I have not got revenge in mind. All I am doing is giving women their power back." ·

:o
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:45 pm

God. I remember that farmer's daughter joke. didn't think someone would take it seriously.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum