What are you listening to 2

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What are you listening to 2

Postby high eight » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:53 pm

STILL the greatest rock band on the planet (Well, they were in 2007!)

"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:41 pm

I watched the reunion show at the O2 on BBC 2 IT WAS ON LAST NIGHT with Bono's son on the drums he certainly did his old man justice with his playing. :D :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby high eight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:48 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:I watched the reunion show at the O2 on BBC 2 IT WAS ON LAST NIGHT with Bono's son on the drums he certainly did his old man justice with his playing. :D :mrgreen:

He sure did. A couple of times I could have sworn it was old Bonzo himself come back to play with his mates one last time. :clap:
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby The Mad Collector » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:56 pm

I have the DVD and double CD package so watched it when it came out. There are quite a few comments out there from people who were at the concert or have bootleg recordings that the reason it took 5 years to be released is that it took that long to fix the dodgy playing and singing, with Plant singled out for barely hitting most of the notes. The concert as released is excellent but I'm glad I didn't go.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby high eight » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:06 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I have the DVD and double CD package so watched it when it came out. There are quite a few comments out there from people who were at the concert or have bootleg recordings that the reason it took 5 years to be released is that it took that long to fix the dodgy playing and singing, with Plant singled out for barely hitting most of the notes. The concert as released is excellent but I'm glad I didn't go.

Sounds like sour grapes to me - and anyway, they can fix dodgy singing live. How do you think most boy and girl bands of today get away with it? :twisted:

Also, I noticed Jimmy Page hit a couple of bum notes during 'Black Dog' in the BBC film last night - Bum notes that remained resolutely unedited. (It was the second number at the 02 concert and the band were still getting into their stride).

And the keys of most of the songs were changed to take Plant's lower register (common with most singers as they age) into account. He still managed that howl at the end of Kashmir, though.
high eight

Postby Jo of the Gates » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:57 pm

high eight wrote:And the keys of most of the songs were changed to take Plant's lower register (common with most singers as they age) into account.

I have always heard that a singer's vocal range drops as they age, but I have experienced the exact opposite. Since the age of 14 I have always been in choirs, singing alto and occasionally pinch-hitting as a mezzo-soprano. A few years ago I complained to one of my directors that my throat would ache every time I sang, and I could no longer sing the lower notes in my range. I was afraid I was losing my voice altogether! She took the time to listen to me vocalize, and then pronounced I was not an alto, but a soprano. Now I sing happily in the upper range. I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:58 pm

He did smoke and drink a lot which did not do his throat and lungs any favours in the long run.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby high eight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:22 am

Jo of the Gates wrote:
high eight wrote:And the keys of most of the songs were changed to take Plant's lower register (common with most singers as they age) into account.

I have always heard that a singer's vocal range drops as they age, but I have experienced the exact opposite. Since the age of 14 I have always been in choirs, singing alto and occasionally pinch-hitting as a mezzo-soprano. A few years ago I complained to one of my directors that my throat would ache every time I sang, and I could no longer sing the lower notes in my range. I was afraid I was losing my voice altogether! She took the time to listen to me vocalize, and then pronounced I was not an alto, but a soprano. Now I sing happily in the upper range. I guess I'm the exception that proves the rule.

You might well be - I have noticed that Maddy Prior (Folk/rock singer: Steeleye Span and others) has dropped from (fairly close to) soprano to a pretty deep alto as she has got older. Mind you, I believe (as Dug noted about Robert Plant) that she was a smoker in her younger years.
high eight

Postby Jo of the Gates » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:00 am

High eight - do you have a source for the quote under your posts?
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:09 am

“And that's when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”

― Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals
;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby high eight » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:52 am

Tonyblack wrote:
“And that's when I first learned about evil. It is built in to the very nature of the universe. Every world spins in pain. If there is any kind of supreme being, I told myself, it is up to all of us to become his moral superior.”

― Terry Pratchett, Unseen Academicals
;)

Yep, dat's der bunny.
high eight

Postby Jo of the Gates » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Thanks. It rang a bell, but I wasn't sure it was Terry or not.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby ChristianBecker » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:11 pm

Dark Tranquillity - Misery's Crown

Great song. :D
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby Penfold » Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:43 am

I thought I would share this from German tv a long, long time ago. The guitarist on the right (as you're looking at it) is my mate Dave from the camera club. They never really made it in the UK. :lol:

The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Joolz » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 pm

Ashton Lane... :D
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum