Happy St Nicholaus Day!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Happy St Nicholaus Day!

Postby Conforumist » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:45 pm

Did St Nick' come by anyone's house today?
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Re: Happy St Nicholaus Day!

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:23 pm

Bit too early here. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chillicamper » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 am

Checked my shoes........no sweets here :( :lol:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:21 am

I know they celebrate it in the Netherlands - and get presents too, but I don't think it has ever been celebrated in the UK. :?

Still . . . Happy St Nicholas Day to anyone who does celebrate it. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Will of Lancre » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:42 am

Happy (Belated) St Nicholas Day from Luxembourg! 8-)

Here St Nick (locally called Kleeschen) delivers presents for the good children.

Traditionally his evil sidekick Housécker brings sticks to beat the naughty children, though nowadays he tends just to stand there looking scary.

Here is an article (in English!) from our local/national paper explaining the background. It has to be said, though, that Globalised American Christmas (with Santa in a bobble hat instead of a bishop's mitre, coming on the 25th instead of the 6th) is tending to get the upper hand now.
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:48 am

He didn't come to our house, because we already had a visit from Saint Martin (Pelzmertl in the local dialect) in November. In Germany it's usually either the one or the other who brings some sweets to make the waiting for Christmas a bit easier.
cheery_j.

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:06 pm

I have always found it fascinating the different ways that different countries celebrate Christmas. I know, for example that presents aren't given until January 6th in Spain. Having spent Sinterklass in the Netherlands, I found that very interesting indeed. I liked the chocolate initial letters that are given. I know that non-Dutch people find the idea of the black-face Zwarte Piet, somewhat disturbing and there are calls that the character should be banned, but it seems to me that it has become more of a tradition than Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer is in America. :D

Con, you started this thread - do you do anything special for St Nicholaus Day in Canada?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 1:19 pm

Tonyblack wrote: I know that non-Dutch people find the idea of the black-face Zwarte Piet, somewhat disturbing and there are calls that the character should be banned

His cousin here is called Knecht Ruprecht, and we have the same debates...
cheery_j.

Postby Conforumist » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:28 pm

cheery_j. wrote:
Tonyblack wrote: I know that non-Dutch people find the idea of the black-face Zwarte Piet, somewhat disturbing and there are calls that the character should be banned

His cousin here is called Knecht Ruprecht, and we have the same debates...

I won't speak for the other countries, of course, but between Knecht Ruprecht and some of the other fairy tales Germans tell, they're pretty sick bunch. Our tales of Red Riding Hood, The Fox and the Rabbit (or whatever it's called) are very gruesome; specially for children.
The greatest things in life are not things.
Conforumist

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:02 am

I did see him coming in by motorboat to the harbour with his black elf, in Belgium Nov/Dec. When I was at a bike rally.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby cheery_j. » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:01 am

Conforumist wrote:I won't speak for the other countries, of course, but between Knecht Ruprecht and some of the other fairy tales Germans tell, they're pretty sick bunch. Our tales of Red Riding Hood, The Fox and the Rabbit (or whatever it's called) are very gruesome; specially for children.

You know what? I only started minding that when I was older. For some reason most children I know are totally okay with the most terrible fairy tales. I had a couple of fairy tale books and the only one that frightened me was one that had modern, somewhat abstract illustrations that I found terrifying.

What fox and rabbit story do you mean?
cheery_j.

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:53 am

Yeah, kids are generally ok with that kind of stuff. I know I was.

(didn't terry have bits about that in the books?)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Will of Lancre » Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:12 pm

For some reason H C Andersen's "Snow Queen" freaked me out as a kid. Probably because of the ice splinter in the heart thing. :shock: At that age you don't know it can't happen to you too.

However, the gorier the things that happened to the bad characters, the better as far I was concerned. :oops:
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby cheery_j. » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:09 am

Oh yes - that was terrible! I still don't like the tale... :roll:

btw: I was lying when I said we didn't get anything from St. Nikolaus: he put a chocolate image of himself on my desk at school and he gave me a rubber duckie Christmas tree ornament and this:

Which is quite cool because when I bought a couple of those as souvenirs for friends last summer, I completely forgot to get one for myself. :D

Bf got another rubber duckie and a playmobil ancient German warrior as a friend for the one he already has.
cheery_j.

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:24 pm

Conforumist wrote:Did St Nick' come by anyone's house today?

I don't know about ST Nick but I am hoping I'll get a sausage or two from the hogfather this year.... that may have come out wrong.... also your avatar is going to give me nightmares conforumist..........
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Next

Return to The Broken Drum