File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby pip » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:38 pm

Wow :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:43 pm

Beggars belief, doesn't it?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:48 pm

Dotsie wrote:For some strange reason, women sometimes stay with men who are absolute animals. Usually, they lose their children to social services because of it, a step which unfortunately came too late this time :(

Saw too many instances of that when I worked in the 'Family' courts :evil: There is a lot of forensic investigation done in abuse cases where there's hasn't been a fatality (and so the child is usually made a ward of court and in care by then, so no jury is involved in proceedings away from the criminal court). Because it's done separately in the civil courts the hospital and other expert witnesses can give evidence to the trial Judge only which means that speculative evidence can be given which couldn't be permitted in a criminal trial but can be used to establish likelihood as to how any injuries including mental and emotional harm were caused and sometimes who would have inflicted it.

As this little girl had 'older' rib injuries than the ones that contributed to killing her I expect that the timing of those must have co-incided with time frame for the perverts having access to her for the mother NOT to be in the frame for the actual abuse. As for 'not noticing' the injuries, again these can sometimes be hard to identify, especially if they're internal, unless there's massive bruising or scratches and, sadly in neglect cases, routine hygiene is often so bad or non-existent, it does sometimes go unnoticed even by community health professionals.

As for this Koran thing - shades of Brutha's granny or wot? :?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-20585033

Victims of sex crimes in Afghanistan often keep quiet about their attacks for fear of being stigmatised.

But after the defeat of the Taliban, many human rights organisations are striving towards attaining real justice for women.

An important part of that step is speaking out about the perpetrators of such attacks - in the courts and in the media.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:29 pm

I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Its funny because they're French.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:47 am

MongoGutman wrote:Its funny because they're French.

No, it's funny because a priceless historical house got bulldozed thanks to stupidity. You either laugh or cry, and I think, in this case, I laugh. Not because they're French, but the egregious stupidity of those construction workers is a sight to behold. :lol:

In other news, Julia Gillard, the Australian PM, welcomes the Mayan Apocalypse because there will be no more Q&A sessions...

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/OddSpot/2012/12/06/Gillard_warns_of_zombies_and_hell_beasts_823765.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L6-1_Gillardwarnsofzombiesandhellbeasts_RSS_061212
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Del » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:40 am

Julia Gillard has a brilliant sense of humour. And she delivers all her best jokes with a straight face ... "The carbon tax will NOT impact on Australian families.. in fact they will be financially much better off!"..... "Cutting sole parents benefits by a quarter will not impact on their children at all. In fact their children will thank us in future years." ... I had better stop before I split my sides with laughter...
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:00 pm

And you think Abbott the Maggot will be any better?

Face it, Del, a democracy, in the end, is voting for the lesser of two evils. Unfortunately, Queensland in general was pants-on-head stupid enough to vote for the greater of two evils. Which goes to show: voting means nothing because your opinion is never heard. It's lost in the morass of the great unwashed masses.

Which is why we need a totalitarian dictatorship. Run by yours truly. :mrgreen:

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:15 pm

Compulsory Doctor Who everyday?

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Ssshh! He doesn't know we don't already have that ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:28 pm

I have some standards, actually. Doctor Who will be on every day, but one episode only per day. There will be no soap operas on QuaterTV. And while complaining about Doctor Who won't be a capital offence (it'll just get you a few days in a gulag), complaining about the lack of soap operas will be. :D

Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:01 pm

And every Sunday you will all have to go to church to celebrate Quater Mass. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:17 pm

Tonyblack wrote:And every Sunday you will all have to go to church to celebrate Quater Mass. :lol:

Nah. No church. I wouldn't inflict regular church goings on anyone. Well, save for rapists, murderers, paedophiles, and those who piss me off while driving. :?

Quatermass

Postby raisindot » Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:39 pm

The accident was blamed on a little Frenchman in a beret waving a white flag out the window and shouting, "We surrender!" :D
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum