Genetically enhanced sharks and other silly science

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Genetically enhanced sharks and other silly science

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:49 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20563841

Comedians Marcus Brigstocke, Josh Widdicombe, Ed Byrne, James May and Jessica Hynes share their thoughts on how science is presented in films and on television.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Genetically enhanced sharks and other silly science

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:52 pm

I'm thinking that Q would like this one.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:07 pm

Watched it. Meh. Though it was interesting to see James May taking part in a relatively intellectual discussion. Then again, isn't he the smartest one on Top Gear?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:26 pm

I don't have my earphones with me so I can't watch it now, but I don't actually mind silly science. Otherwise, how could I enjoy blockbusters like Planet of the Apes?

It's a bit annoying though when it's implied that lab results come back quicker if you know the right people, or if you charm the lab technician. No, science just takes a really long time I'm afraid. Thinking it takes seconds to get a result just makes people annoyed if they don't get an immediate result from their doctor. And I laugh when you can see germs 'eating' human cells down the microscope. Tee hee!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:49 am

I tend to get invested in the movies/games/tv shows i watch. Which is mostly why i can find enjoyment and be forgiving of less than stellar forms of visual entertainment. Just give a reason, thats all i ask, even if its utter tosh. its when they don't explain thing, either directly or through implications, that i get annoyed. I'll swallow it, just try to sell it to me. It those ones that try to be all metaphorical, deliberatly leaving out details to make their work seem all artsy-fartsy, and more significant than it really is. (yeah, i'm looking at you kubrick)
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Return to TV, film, theatre