Science of Discworld 4

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Science of Discworld 4

Postby Dotsie » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:47 pm

That's cos it's all true! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KnightOfFewWords » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Fantastic news - I had no idea there was going to be a 4th until I saw this thread.They serve the dual purpose of feeding my discworld addition and helping top-up my quota of popular science reading. I found the idea of "narrative pre-dating language" to be a particularly interesting one: story as a mental tool for comprehending and anticipating the world of processes and entities.

I look forward to seeing what the 4th instalment has in store.
KnightOfFewWords

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:01 pm

raisindot wrote:[I worry, for example, that non-Jews will conclude from his bunkum that Jews 'evolved' to become more intellectual because hundreds of years ago Jewish women only married Jews who had done well at Bar Mitzvahs (when, in fact, the Bar Mitzvah didn't exist until a couple hundred years ago and that, historically, the vast majority of Jews were uneducated, illiterate, and poor) or with this assertion that circumcision is a form or ritual torture (it isn't; the purpose of torture is to cause pain; that isn't the purpose of circumcision, any more than the piercing of ears or a tattoo), or that the genetic makeup of Cohenim are due to their women having sex with both their 'rich' Cohenim husbands and their servants (not true either, since the "Cohenim" priestly class became completely meaningless after the Romans destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem in 69 CE and they quickly became absorbed into the general population and were neither significantly wealthier or poorer than any other Jews.

I don't rcognise any of this crap from Jacks writing if you are going to libel someone I suggest you include quotations to back up your assumptions or shut up
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Previous

Return to Latest books