4%

Total votes : 49

Re: The Hobbit is finally greenlit!

Postby Alanz » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:24 pm

I really enjoyed the book so hope the film is just as good :D
Alanz

Postby michelanCello » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:03 am

Was late and only caught the end of the premiere, but was just in time for Peter Jackson's speech and Ian McKellen's video greeting from London... :D
Can't wait to see the movie!
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:19 pm

three films eh? tricky. i suppose the third would have to be the journey home which tolkein kinda glosses over if i remember right... not anti the idea, just... tricky...
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:25 pm

If I remember correctly, there aren't any epic battles in The Hobbit. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:24 pm

Tonyblack wrote:If I remember correctly, there aren't any epic battles in The Hobbit. :?

There's the Battle of the Five Armies right at the end in the Hobbit (Dwarves, Elves, Men v Orcs & Wargs) that's in the main canon. Also Smaug's attack on Laketown which promises to be a CGI firefest :lol:

In one of the other 2 films there'll be a really pivotal unwritten in mainstream canon battle between the Elves and the Necromancer which is to do with what Gandalf was up to (with Elrond and Galadriel's husband Celeborn) while the Dwarves and Bilbo were in Mirkwood that should be pretty spectacular in that there ought to be some serious magic flinging going on which could well instigate some academic/merchandising outrage with the Tolkien Estate if they get it scandalously wrong. :P

There may also be some 'prequel' action with a rendition of how Smaug drives the Dwarves and Men out of the Kingdom of Erebor in the first place that could be very exciting indeed - knowing how PJ likes his battle action I have high hopes for all of those with a justifiable tinge of concern for some of the Legolas action where the Mirkwood Elves are concerned... :shifty:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:28 pm

I don't really care if there is some extra action in it, I will take as it is and as it comes I know he will make a good job of it, getting a little bit excited now just over two weeks to go :D I'm going to see it in an IMAX cinema to get the most out of it. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:55 am

Reviews : Good But Not Great.

MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... great.html

Critics were predictably divided over the decision by Jackson to film The Hobbit using high-speed 3D cameras that capture twice the normal number of frames per second, with some early audiences reporting that the filming techniques made them feel nauseous and even caused migraines.

The movie is shot at a camera speed of 48 frames per second - double that normally used.

'The results are interesting and will be much-debated, but an initial comparison of the two formats weighs against the experiment; the print shown in what is being called "high frame rate 3D," while striking in some of the big spectacle scenes, predominantly looked like ultra-vivid television video, paradoxically lending the film a oddly theatrical look,' says The Hollywood Reporter.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Weeeeeell - it's a £ extra for the 3D at our local flicks so I'll risk the headache :P
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:23 pm

I don't really care what the critics say, their opinion is no more valid as yours or mine, just like the yorkie Barry Norman who slagged off Bill & Ted film years ago on his TV show and had to come back on the next week to say sorry and eat humble pie, when the box office proved otherwise. :lol: need to get my ticket for the Imax booked soon. :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby michelanCello » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:10 pm

I don't care about the critics either, can't wait so see it! :D
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby konnichiwa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:25 pm

I'm going to the premiere on 12.12.12 at 0:12 :D

But I must say, at first I was hoping to see it so much but now, after I found out more about it I've gotten very critical about it and I'm a bit doubtful if it's going to be so great or not.

Still, I'm going to be super happy in the premiere I think 8-)
konnichiwa

Postby Penfold » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:38 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing what they have done with all the extra content and how understandable it is to people who haven't read 'Unfinished Tales', 'The Silmarillion', and the other published side stories. :D

As for critics, well I'm sure I heard one of them say 'Robin Hood' with Russell Crowe in the lead role was good (that's a few hours of my life I won't be getting back anytime soon). :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby konnichiwa » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:58 pm

But what I've understood they're not taking much from "The Silmarillion", mostly from "Unfinished Tales" (of course mostly from "The Hobbit" but you know what I mean ^^')...

I don't listen to critics either, since I remember they said that Narnia movies were ok :shock:

But as far as I'm concerned I hate it when people add extra characters in to the movies, especially when the character would be impossible in the book...
konnichiwa

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:31 pm

konnichiwa wrote:But what I've understood they're not taking much from "The Silmarillion", mostly from "Unfinished Tales"

That's right and some from Peoples of ME with the timelines in there, particularly relating to Gandalf's activities with Thrain (Thorin's Oakenshield's father) in what will presumably be 'prequel' flashbacks at some stage. There's plenty of largely unwritten, as opposed to 'not outlined very much', territory to explore though and I'm v. interested to see how they deal with the offshoot sequences in western Mirkwood around Dol Guldur in the expulsion of the Necromancer. Also we might see some more of Gollum's backstory which should be good as Andy Serkis is always worth watching :D

What I'm keen to see is what part Barry Humphries will be taking! As usual there's not a lot of girlie roles in there so perhaps it'll be a rare straight role out of drag :lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:09 pm

Perezhilton.com

Some cinema lovers were granted a sneak peek at the new and hopeful December blockbuster, The Hobbit, but many left with mixed, slightly sick feelings afterwards. No, LITERALLY!

According to reports, the film's 48-frames-per-second tech triggered nausea in more than one moviegoer!

Here was how some described feeling after seeing the movie:

"My eyes cannot take everything in, it's dizzying. Now I have a migraine."

"I left loving the movie but feeling sick"

"You have to hold your stomach down and let your eyes pop at first to adjust. This is not for wimps."

OK, wait. How do you make your eyes pop? We'll try it right now, and — oh gawd!!! Oh no!!! Get it back in!!! For the love of all that is–phew! It is OK everybody! We are GOOD.

Well, at least it seems like the actual movie is pretty decent! Bring some ginger ale with ya when you go see this flick — it definitely seems like you are going to need it!!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre