One Book Recommendation

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby The_Discworldaholic » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

shoould really say on of terrys but everyone here alreadys reads them so theres no point really :) anyway i digress lol, i recomend and very highly, if u can get it as its very hard to get hold of.
In the shadow of the rainbow by Robert franklin leslie
The_Discworldaholic

Postby Catch-up » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:12 pm

Just one? :shock: Not fair! :?

Naked Came the Sasquatch by John Boston
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:57 pm

Just like when someone asks to name your 3 or 5 favorite discworld books or author.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Well I'll already recommended American Gods by Neil Gaiman, The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov and The People's Act of Love by James Meek in another thread :D . So the one book I will recommend here is The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón :wink:
A poster outside one shop urged people to Dig For Victory, as if it were some kind of turnip.
Sjoerd3000

Postby bikkit » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Dragons of the autumn twighlight by Tracy Hicman and Margaret Weiss. It's a brilliat book sort of David-Edddings-ish but better. It made me cry, in parts and laugh almost immediatly after. I LOVED it ( thogh terry's book are still better, of course ) :D

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Tiffany » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:40 pm

It is so unfair to only have one, there are so many I like, but this trilogy is good.......

Philip Pullman's Dark Materials.

Yes I know, it's three books, so, I'm a twit, but you do have to read them all to get the story.
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:21 pm

WeeKelda wrote:Dragons of the autumn twighlight by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss. It's a brilliant book sort of David-Edddings-ish but better. It made me cry, in parts and laugh almost immediately after. I LOVED it ( though terry's book are still better, of course ) :D

They are all very good, Weiss and Hickman are fantastic. I am not sure how many of you know that Margaret Weiss insisted that the characters Tasslehoff the Kender and Raistlin Majere had to be hers alone to write about. I found that to be pretty kewl.

Some of the Dragons are very scary, but a few are really, really kewl. I agree WeeKelda, that is a good choice.
Aha! So, Bob's yer uncle... very clever.
Tina a.k.a.SusanSto.Helit

Location: Byron IL USA and The Quirm School for Young People ... it's genetic, you know

Postby bikkit » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:36 am

Fireball...fireball...I know it's in here somewhere :lol:

I'm going to need a swat team, ready to mobilize, street maps covering the whole of florida, a pot of coffee, 12 jammy dodgers and A FEZ.
bikkit

Postby Exp. Date, the rat » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:08 am

Tiffany wrote:It is so unfair to only have one, there are so many I like, but this trilogy is good.......

Philip Pullman's Dark Materials.

Yes I know, it's three books, so, I'm a twit, but you do have to read them all to get the story.

I liked this series until about 1/2 way thru the last book. Just went too silly and preachy for me. Shame, had good potenial.

I would recommend World War Z, by Max Brooks (son of Mel Brooks) It is an account of what happended when the world was over run by zombies from key and not so key figures from before, during and after the 'war'. I don't knwo where he learned to write but the social breakdown of goverments, and people is so realistic to be scary! Great book. Had me up late most nights reading it. An off shoot to this book is the Zombie Survival Guide. B
A legal Feegle? How could there be such a thing?
Today I feel like I am soaring like a tortoise!
Exp. Date, the rat

Postby Danny B » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:52 pm

I've just recently bought and read The Zombie Survival Guide and loved it, it was great fun. I'll have to remember to pick up a copy of World War Z the next time I'm in Newcastle.

I recommend Chase The Morning by Michael Scott Rohan; a bizarre - yet curiously effective - mixture of horror, fantasy, swashbuckling naval adventure and magical realism. A yuppy (remember those?) has his life turned upside down when he turns the wrong corner in his local dockyard and finds himself drawn into a shadow world of magic, adventure and horror. The three sequels are rather good as well, but I can't recommend them due to the rules.;) However, the first novel was initially written as a stand alone story, rather than the opening of a series so can be enjoyed in it's own right.
Danny B

Postby Terry f » Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:55 pm

If this is a man Primo levi
Terry f

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:34 pm

there are two michael rohan books chase the morning and the gates of noon think i will have a look :)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:37 pm

should have said ive got not there are :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Lady Vetinari » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:24 pm

My recommendation

Schindlers List Thomas Kenneally

Should be on the national curriculum for fifteen years old upwards ... True story, vivid and harsh but full of hope and courage - this book strengthened me at a time when I most voonerable!
Who Watches The WatchMan?

Lady Vetinari

Postby mystmoon » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:43 pm

Eragon by Christopher Paolini, it is nothing like the film.
"Why is that gas stove wearing a hat?"
"He's going out"
mystmoon

Location: York, England, Europe, Earth, The Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books