What made you smile today? 6

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 6

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:15 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Cheery the museum looks fabulous! Reminds me of the Field Museum in Chicago - my favorite.

Yes the Field Museum is good Catch up, but we did not have to queue outside because we all had a Chicago Go ticket it let's you bypass the queues and there was just a short one inside. :mrgreen:

Luckily we've never had to deal with too long queues while we were there, but I'm still really glad you told me about the Go ticket. We'll definitely try that next time.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 pm

Dotsie wrote:Flipping heck, everyone here speaks German except me! :lol: I've downloaded a couple of apps, but they're not much good. I'll have to do it the old-fashioned way, and actually work at it :oops:

You'll be fine. When we were there everyone was so nice and seemed to appreciate our efforts at a few phrases.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby wicked woman » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:25 pm

meerkat wrote:Hi Wicked! You need the Science Museum for hands on! ;)

Yeah, we had only been in there half an hour and one of my grandkids - age 6 - was pushing buttons to set off explosions. You should have seen her huge smile. :lol: Disclaimer - this was during a talk on fires and explosions.

The Science Museum is great, they had to throw us out so they could close.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:35 pm

Catch-up wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Cheery the museum looks fabulous! Reminds me of the Field Museum in Chicago - my favorite.

Yes the Field Museum is good Catch up, but we did not have to queue outside because we all had a Chicago Go ticket it let's you bypass the queues and there was just a short one inside. :mrgreen:

Luckily we've never had to deal with too long queues while we were there, but I'm still really glad you told me about the Go ticket. We'll definitely try that next time.

Order it online we picked ours up from an outlet in Macy's lots of free admissions to various sites and that includes the sight seeing tour by boat 1,2 & 3 day ones. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:21 am

Batty wrote:Take photos on your mobile of various objects that you may need - coffee, wine, toilet, restaurant, rabbit food etc., and then show someone the photo when you need that particular item.

And download a German/English/Mancunian dictionary as an app on your phone. ... And then ask any question, very carefully, only once ... :whistle:

Or just assume everyone speaks English* and if they don't seem to understand repeat A BIT LOUDER! :mrgreen:

*which very many people do, especially in the more touristy places.
cheery_j.

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:06 am

:lol: True, I usually try to get a few words out, but they very quickly put me out of my misery. I have a feeling that some of my words are made up anyway :oops:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:49 pm

Dotsie wrote::lol: True, I usually try to get a few words out, but they very quickly put me out of my misery. I have a feeling that some of my words are made up anyway :oops:

:lol:

That's a different type of fluency I believe.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:52 pm

It's called "speaking the language like a native" - a native of the Um Bongo tribe in this case. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:02 pm

The Feegle has landed :D
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:The Feegle has landed :D

:lol: :clap:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 1:32 pm

Have a great time! :D
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:19 pm

Dotsie wrote: I have a feeling that some of my words are made up anyway :oops:

That made me laugh. Thank you so much Dotsie! (see frustration thread) It reminded me of a day long long ago, when in Rome one of my friends started chattering at (I really mean at, not to) a young man in a shop in what sounded to me like perfect Italian. He however looked at her as if she was completely mad - which I understood when I finally realized that she was speaking a fantasy language that had no actual meaning and was completely incomprehensible to the poor guy. *sighs* Happy days! :mrgreen:
cheery_j.

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:20 pm

:lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby cheery_j. » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:25 pm

Going down memory lane inspired me to her and now I know where she works. :D
cheery_j.

Postby Broccolee » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:08 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:Wie Geht's Broc. :greetings-wavegreen: :mrgreen:

:D Sosolala. 8-)
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum