What Are You Reading 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:28 am

You also missed the point of my review, Pip. :roll: I didn't say that the book was bad. I said it was good. Not stellar or great, but good. I deliberately didn't include the numerical score I had given it, due to the controversy my scoring system caused in the past, but I gave Rivers of London 8.5/10. Okay, that's probably a skewed numerical scale, should be a 7 or a 7.5, but in my reviews proper, I have to nitpick.

[EFF!] me tender with a pogo stick, sideways. :roll:

I just found it run of the mill. And keep in mind that I gave one of Aaronovitch's Doctor Who books (The Also People) the same score. And quite frankly, it's an improvement over Transit which, good though it was, was a tad too grungey and dark at times. In addition, as I point out in my review, I'm not that big a fan of the mystery genre, really. I tried it, mostly, because everyone here loved it, otherwise I may never have even heard of it, unless I happened to look at Aaronovitch's Wikipedia page.

It was enjoyable, but it didn't reach the heights I hoped it might. Maybe I set my expectations too high. Who knows? But this was not an indictment of the book. And quite frankly, the villain of the story was one of the most original things I have read in fiction.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!


-Weird Al Yankovic
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby pip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:30 am

Fair enough. I'm too used to people coming back raving about the books that its a shock to o the systemm when there is criticism .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:39 am

pip wrote:Fair enough. I'm too used to people coming back raving about the books that its a shock to o the systemm when there is criticism .


Thank you.

Rivers of London was a good, decent book. It just didn't have the wow factor for me. Or maybe I've been spoilt by too much Neil Gaiman. I mean, look at Neverwhere.

Have to say, though, Molly was perhaps the most interesting character. Surprising, considering that she didn't say anything. And if she's not a vampire, then I have to wonder what the hell she is.

Out of all the books by Ben Aaronovitch, my personal favourite is his novelisation of his Doctor Who story, Remembrance of the Daleks. And keep in mind that I've never reviewed it. My read and review shtick only began a few years back, as an incentive for me to branch out and read authors and books that I wouldn't normally. Like Dickens, or Austen, for example. But that aforementioned novelisation had a wonderful, dark lyricism.

Of course, I also heard that Aaronovitch has the same attitude to deadlines as Douglas Adams... :lol:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!


-Weird Al Yankovic
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:42 am

Blimey - I love the Rivers of London series, but gave up on Neverwhere about a quarter way in.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 12051
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby pip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:48 am

Quatermass wrote:
pip wrote:Fair enough. I'm too used to people coming back raving about the books that its a shock to o the systemm when there is criticism .


Thank you.

Rivers of London was a good, decent book. It just didn't have the wow factor for me. Or maybe I've been spoilt by too much Neil Gaiman. I mean, look at Neverwhere.

Have to say, though, Molly was perhaps the most interesting character. Surprising, considering that she didn't say anything. And if she's not a vampire, then I have to wonder what the hell she is.

Out of all the books by Ben Aaronovitch, my personal favourite is his novelisation of his Doctor Who story, Remembrance of the Daleks. And keep in mind that I've never reviewed it. My read and review shtick only began a few years back, as an incentive for me to branch out and read authors and books that I wouldn't normally. Like Dickens, or Austen, for example. But that aforementioned novelisation had a wonderful, dark lyricism.

Of course, I also heard that Aaronovitch has the same attitude to deadlines as Douglas Adams... :lol:


Have to say that while i love Gaiman, Neverwhere is a bit of a patchwork quilt of a book cobbled together in sometimes strange ways. I enjoyed it but not his best work at all.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:06 am

I gave Neverwhere the same score, but partly because it was weird and a little inaccessible at times. Whereas Rivers of London was accessible, but it didn't quite have the same flavour.

Different tastes, I suppose.

Anyway, I'm already partway through the novelisation of Metal Gear Solid 4, and I'm going to try and read Bitter Seeds after that. Or maybe I Am Legend.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!


-Weird Al Yankovic
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

All you fast readers make me sick lol.

I take ages with discworld, not because I am a slow reader - but because I suffer from intense brain-fog over the last year or so. I don't think I will ever complete the discworld series and move on to other books.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
User avatar
KingCarrot
Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Alanz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:21 am

i'm about half way through Dodger at the moment it's very good. :D :D
Alanz
Member
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:33 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Dotsie » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:33 am

Would I offend pip massively if I said that Rivers of London was OK, but not anything special, and I might read the sequels at a later date if nothing else presents itself? :shifty:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
User avatar
Dotsie
Member
 
Posts: 9413
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:43 am

Dotsie wrote:Would I offend pip massively if I said that Rivers of London was OK, but not anything special, and I might read the sequels at a later date if nothing else presents itself? :shifty:


Well, that was what I said (save for the 'if nothing else presents itself', as I want to try and continue the books before long), and I'm currently sewing my head back on. And I dunno how I'm gonna get these bite marks out... :|

BTW, this is meant in jest.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!


-Weird Al Yankovic
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby pip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:58 am

Quatermass wrote:
Dotsie wrote:Would I offend pip massively if I said that Rivers of London was OK, but not anything special, and I might read the sequels at a later date if nothing else presents itself? :shifty:


Well, that was what I said (save for the 'if nothing else presents itself', as I want to try and continue the books before long), and I'm currently sewing my head back on. And I dunno how I'm gonna get these bite marks out... :|

BTW, this is meant in jest.

You're ok dotsie, and Q . I've had a sleepless week so i enjoyed my brief venting :D
Q , i really enjoyed I Am Legend so definitely worth a read. Much better thyan the film.
:D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
User avatar
pip
Member
 
Posts: 9385
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:20 am
Location: KILDARE

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:05 pm

Which film? There are three of the buggers. :think:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!


-Weird Al Yankovic
User avatar
Quatermass
Member
 
Posts: 5661
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:58 am

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:16 pm

KingCarrot wrote:All you fast readers make me sick lol.

I take ages with discworld, not because I am a slow reader - but because I suffer from intense brain-fog over the last year or so. I don't think I will ever complete the discworld series and move on to other books.

It depends what sort of mood I'm in as far as speed is concerned. I have read a book and a half a day, or, as now, it's taking me ages to read one.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29023
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby KingCarrot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:32 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
KingCarrot wrote:All you fast readers make me sick lol.

I take ages with discworld, not because I am a slow reader - but because I suffer from intense brain-fog over the last year or so. I don't think I will ever complete the discworld series and move on to other books.

It depends what sort of mood I'm in as far as speed is concerned. I have read a book and a half a day, or, as now, it's taking me ages to read one.


It don't help when I have to read a lot of the sentences twice nowadays for them to sink in. Each time I read I need to go back a few pages to remind myself what's going on. I also look at the name's of main characters and think "who on earth is that?". I really am in no state to be reading, but I love it too much to stop. I either have some form of dementia or chronic lyme disease - I don't think it's solely M.E anymore lol.

I will fight (by reading books) until I die... :lol:
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
User avatar
KingCarrot
Member
 
Posts: 154
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:33 pm
Location: UK

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:50 pm

As far as Discworld books go - I don't think any of us ever get everything the first time of reading. I have read some of the books a dozen times and I still find new stuff that I missed before. ;) Terry's books are often multi-layered and you read one and it may be quite some time before you realise there's a lot more to it than meets the eye. It's what i love about the books.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 29023
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests