What Are You Reading 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Selkie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:38 pm

Txam wrote:<snip> It is a little hard to explain to your mates at work that you spent your vacation on Discworld.

Can't think of anywhere better to spend a holiday!

I have put aside Game of Thrones again to read Moon over Soho and possibly Whispers Under Ground.
Selkie

Postby KingCarrot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:28 pm

Thief of time.

I recently finished "The Truth" and I am missing it already.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:26 pm

That's a lie! ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:27 pm

Selkie. I hope you enjoy them. I think they're great.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 pm

I've already preordered the fourth one Selkie :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:27 pm

as above :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Quatermass » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:13 am

I've started reading the first one, Rivers of London, and may be finished either tomorrow or Saturday (I read fast). Meanwhile, earlier today, I read The Tales of Beedle the Bard, and the 13th manga volume of Neon Genesis Evangelion. Both pretty damn good, even if the latter is pretty [EFF!]ed up.

I've got a lot of books on my to-do list, at the moment. I want to dip my toes into The Walking Dead graphic novels, Bitter Seeds by Ian Tregillis, On the Beach by Nevile Shute, I am Legend by Richard Matheson, Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke, and the novelization of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots by the late Project Itoh (aka Satoshi Ito).
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:05 am

Blimey. :shock:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:18 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:Blimey. :shock:

And those are just the books I have out from my local library. :)
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:48 am

I don't remember not having a big to be read pile :D
its what keeps us going :D :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm back to The Woman Who Died A Lot, enjoying it. Next up is Rivers of London, but it's called something else here. Can't remember the title of it at the moment.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby pip » Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Its called Midnight Riot for some really odd reason . And the American covers are awful.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:47 pm

Yes, terrible covers and weird changes are par for the course, unfortunately. I have no idea why they'd change that title. The original is much better. And, thank you! Now I know I packed the right one. :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:13 am

Hmm, the title isn't too bad a one, Midnight Riot, given what happens and who the villain is, but you're right about the cover.

Anyway, just finished Rivers of London. Here's my review that I posted on another BBS...

REVIEW: Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch

I am familiar with the works of Ben Aaronovitch through his work on Doctor Who. Writing the critically acclaimed TV story Remembrance of the Daleks and the less acclaimed but still distinctive Battlefield, he also wrote several spin-off books, like Transit, The Also People, and, with Kate Orman, So Vile A Sin. However, until recently, I was unaware that he had also written an urban fantasy series, and so, because I knew Aaronovitch was a fairly good writer, I thought I would give the first book in the series, Rivers of London, a shot...

Meet Police Constable Peter Grant. Unlike his friend, Lesley May, he is about to be shuffled aside into the Case Progession Unit of the London Metropolitan Police, not the most exciting of careers. But after seeing something he shouldn't, Grant is recruited by Detective Inspector Thomas Nightingale, the head and, until now, the only member of the Folly, the section of the London Metropolitan Police that deals with crimes of a magical and supernatural flavour. And it's no piece of cake, as Grant will learn how to cast spells, stop vampires, negotiate between the warring deities of the River Thames, and stop a supernatural murderer who is a puppet master in more ways than one...

Of all the faults of Rivers of London, the main one is that technically speaking, the concept is far from original. While the cover quote by Diana Gabaldon about the book being 'what would happen if Harry Potter grew up and joined the Fuzz' is something of an exaggeration, this book does take many similar archetypes, though I am more likely to compare it to the not dissimilar Laundry series by Charles Stross. What matters more than anything else, then, are the differences. Certainly, the culprit behind the main conflict in the book is a startlingly original one that I didn't see coming, and there is a lovely, semi-sardonic tone throughout, though it's not quite at the level of Stross' Laundry series. Part of the problem, too, is that I am not as familiar with London as more of Aaronovitch's audience will be.

Even so, the characters are fine enough, with Peter Grant being a good, if not excellent, narrator, and Lesley a decent friend character. Nightingale is a fairly standard mentor type, though the character of Molly, the Folly's maid, is rather more intriguing. So too are the deities of Mama Thames and Father Thames, not to mention the bitchy Lady Ty. However, of the other characters, only the main villain seems truly interesting enough to engage and hold my attention, simply because who and, more to the point, what they are is so surprisingly and startlingly original.

In the end, while not spectacular, Rivers of London was good enough for me to continue with the series. So, once I get further books off my plate, who knows?

To be perfectly honest, I much prefer Charles Stross' Laundry series, probably because that series works in the dark sense of humour better. And maybe I prefer spy-fi to mystery novels. But Rivers of London was still pretty good.

Quatermass

Postby pip » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:46 am

Harsh and in my opinion unfair review.
Lack of originality is an unfair criticism if you are in the same breath praise a writer such as Charles Stross whos work, good or bad is esentially a rip off of Lovecraft.
Try a bit of consistency at least.
the difference in the two series is wide enough and I'll have to disagree with you in that I found Stross unreadable at stage , essentially talking crap for large sections of the books.
The main character and Nightingale for me are very well done. Peter is very likable, very funny and is very accesible lead .
The urban occult thing has risen as a very definite subgenre so there is quite a few similar books. This is up there as one of the best.
Sadly i feel you missed out on properly enjoying it by going in with the critics hat especially with the amount of good feedback and recomendations given here.
Are we a tad upset that Ben turned his back on churning out obscure doctor who novels for a tiny audience and wrote something accesible for a wider audience. ;)
I have to conclude that you've missed what the rest of us have gotten for various reasons sadly
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books