What made you smile today? 6

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What made you smile today? 6

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:36 pm

Yeah, because he really is the only German speaker here... :roll:

He's the only one I could think of. And anyway, his English is so good (and he uses our slang) that I'm convinced he's actually English!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:48 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
cheery_j. wrote:Yeah, because he really is the only German speaker here... :roll: ;)

Cheery - the funny thing is that for ages I thought you were from Australia.*

Oh well, a taxi driver in Ireland once asked me if I was from South Africa... to give you an idea how I must have sounded after spending 5 weeks in New Zealand... :think:

@Bouncy: It's not that I feel ignored,unappreciated or anything - I only thought this was (mildly) amusing since our posts were right below each other.
cheery_j.

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

To be honest, Cheery. I had no idea you were German. :oops:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:30 pm

I knew you were from forn parts, but I couldn't tell which ones. Guten tag! :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby wicked woman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:09 pm

Well done, Christian. I thought you were English too cheery, you speak it so well.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:53 pm

:oops: 'anks.

@Dotsie: Ich wünsche einen wunderschönen Abend und eine gute Nacht. Have you already made plans on whet to see and do in Berlin? Have you been there before?

Oh, and: when can we start showing you our weird rashes and ask you for advice (and free cream samples), Christian? ;)
cheery_j.

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:36 pm

Que? :shock:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 21, 2012 7:44 pm

cheery_j. wrote:@Dotsie: Ich wünsche einen wunderschönen Abend und eine gute Nacht. Have you already made plans on whet to see and do in Berlin? Have you been there before?

Danke! You too ;) We've been before, so we know we want to eat a lot of sausage, drink beer, visit the Reichstag (the queues are always so long we've not made it before), go into lots of markets, and beyond that I'm not sure yet. Any recommendations gratefully received :D
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:05 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Que? :shock:

What what?
Do you refer to "Ich wünsche einen wunderschönen Abend und eine gute Nacht."? That's "I wish you a wonderful evening and a good night".
If you're referring to the rashes and cream samples, I guess Cheery is hinting at my becoming a pharmacist. So, actually you can show me your rashes whenever you feel like it - but I can't promise I can diagnose what their cause is. This is actually a doctor's work.
As for cream samples - last week I made a "wool wax alcohol ointment" (had to look this one up - not sure if it is correct) with 5% urea (Eucerinum cum aqua et urea 5 per centum). Good for dry skin (or against dry skin). I still have some left :D.
The week before that we made rectal and vaginal suppositories. Didn't take the former with me, since I wasn't allowed to take the ones with paracetamol and have absolutely no use for thyme suppositories (although thyme suppositories do exist and are used for coughs :D). Since I'm missing the anatomical prerequisites for the latter, I left them there, too. Moreover, they contained ichthammol which is a bit smelly. Was fun making them, though.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:20 pm

Dotsie wrote: We've been before, so we know we want to eat a lot of sausage, drink beer,

Sounds like a good plan so far. ;)

visit the Reichstag (the queues are always so long we've not made it before)

I know - they're terrible. You could try to register for a guided tour (http://www.bundestag.de/htdocs_e/visits ... fuehr.html), that way you don't have to queue. The other option would be to steal someone's children, because there's a side entrance for families - I'm afraid bunnies don't count.
If you manage to get up into the cupola this time, I hope you have a fine day, because the view really is great from up there.

My sister used to live in Kreuzberg and whenever I visited I could happily spend a couple of hours looking through interesting little shops there. They also have many many nice little cafes and bars

And have you been here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackesche_H%C3%B6fe Lots of galleries and shops with pretty (and expensive) stuff, but the restored art nouveau buildings are well worth looking at.

Oh, and do go to the natural history museum! I love it and want to live there!!!!* It's partly old fashioned natural history museum (dinosaurs! stuffed animals!! old books!!!) and part supermodern science fun. And it's not too big, so you can see everything in a day. And - again - the building alone makes me squee with excitement:
I mean: isn't that exactly what a NHM should look like?

Sorry for longish off-topic.

*note use of multiple punctuation
cheery_j.

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:27 pm

Oh, and you can get one of the best pizzas I know in Kreuzberg at the "Cassolare". The place looks a bit weird, since the owners seem to be into punk/ hardcore and thus the walls are covered with posters and the parts that are not may be used by the guests to paint or write on.
The Pergamon-Museum is also very interesting.

ChristianBecker

Postby KingCarrot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:29 pm

NHM looks beautiful.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:30 pm

ChristianBecker wrote: I can't promise I can diagnose what their cause is. This is actually a doctor's work.

Get used to it. ;)

As for cream samples - last week I made a "wool wax alcohol ointment" (had to look this one up - not sure if it is correct) with 5% urea (Eucerinum cum aqua et urea 5 per centum). Good for dry skin (or against dry skin). I still have some left :D.
or I could just cuddle a sheep and pee on my hands... :o

Since I'm missing the anatomical prerequisites for the latter, I left them there, too. Moreover, they contained ichthammol which is a bit smelly.
Do I want to know what they're for/against?

I found the Pergamon museum a bit of a disappointment, thought the exhibits are impressive.
cheery_j.

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:40 pm

cheery_j. wrote:
ChristianBecker wrote: I can't promise I can diagnose what their cause is. This is actually a doctor's work.

Get used to it. ;)

Yeah, prolly will have to.

or I could just cuddle a sheep and pee on my hands... :o

Might work, too. :D
I often wonder if they're putting "Urea" instead of "Harnstoff" on creams so people won't think it's something disgusting.

Since I'm missing the anatomical prerequisites for the latter, I left them there, too. Moreover, they contained ichthammol which is a bit smelly.
Do I want to know what they're for/against?

Dunno. Eczemas and boils, mainly.

ChristianBecker

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:51 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:I often wonder if they're putting "Urea" instead of "Harnstoff" on creams so people won't think it's something disgusting.

I'm absolutely sure that's the reason.
cheery_j.

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum