Five Reasons To Still Use a Typewriter

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Five Reasons To Still Use a Typewriter

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:50 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-20410364

The end of an era has been marked, with the last typewriter built in the UK rolling off the production line at Brother's north Wales factory.

The firm donated the last machine to London's Science Museum - but, it seems, there are plenty of writers and fans who think a museum is the last place their beloved, indispensable tool should be.

So, who still uses typewriters? And why do they choose to use them?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Five Reasons To Still Use a Typewriter

Postby The Mad Collector » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Last used a typewriter over 20 years ago, frankly I don't miss it :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:50 pm

I can remember getting terrible finger ache using a manual, but electric/electronic are OK.

Every office should have one, just for one-off things like typing an address label.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:51 pm

They're hard to type with, you can't change your mistakes or edit later, and why would you risk losing your work? Some people just don't like change.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:54 pm

Will Self says in the article that it makes you think more about what you're writing.

Instead of "she wore a red dress" then going back and changing the colour several times, you have to think about exactly what colour dress she wore as you can't go back and edit.

Makes sense I think.

I was thinking about Robert Rankin the other day, and the fact that he supposedly hand-writes all his manuscripts. I bet the poor bugger at his publishers who has to put it on computer reallllly loves him. :lol:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:00 pm

Shame I can't find the whole sketch. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:31 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Will Self says in the article that it makes you think more about what you're writing.

Instead of "she wore a red dress" then going back and changing the colour several times, you have to think about exactly what colour dress she wore as you can't go back and edit.

Makes sense I think.

But then maybe you don't change something that would make your work better, because you don't want to re-type the whole thing. Imagine how much better some books could be if the author had used a computer. ;)
cheery_j.

Postby raptornx01 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:42 pm

I guess i was the only one that had those eraser sheet things? :?
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Batty » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:07 pm

By over typing and changing the line margins, you could 'draw' a picture on a typewriter.

I have one (somewhere) which has a cartridge ribbon with an in-built correction tape, so that you could back space and remove any typing error.
Mind you, I lost the manual some time ago, and wouldn't remember all the short-cut keys to use the thing!! Image
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Will Self says in the article that it makes you think more about what you're writing.

Makes sense I think.

I was thinking about Robert Rankin the other day, and the fact that he supposedly hand-writes all his manuscripts. I bet the poor bugger at his publishers who has to put it on computer reallllly loves him. :lol:
That's true Bouncy!! I can tell you it's normally in school type jotters and 40 or more is normally enough for a book, the publisher did not type up he had them typed by some one else then and submitted as normal.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby KingCarrot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:52 pm

I do a lot of grip work and finger strengthening exercises as I am really into unharnessed climbing and stuff... I may have to get a typewriter so I can write my book and exercise at the same time.

Other than that - I really can't see a benefit to them lol.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:01 pm

I was surprised to see someone using a typewriter when I was at the vet's office a few days ago! My b.i.l. is a writer and an editor and while he switched over to a PC a long time ago, I know he held on to the typewriter for a long time.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby MongoGutman » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:12 am

They're only good if you're a really good typist - I used to use the correction paper 20 times a page - and the only reason to become a really good typist, which takes a lot of work and practice, is so you can use a typewriter. If only there was, I dunno, some electronic gizmo you could use that would enable you to make corrections and check your spelling and so forth before you committed it to paper then you wouldn't need to become a really good typist.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:15 pm

There is/ was.
Last time I used (or played with) a typewriter (20 years ago or so) in a shop that sold them, they had those half-computers. They had a small display and you could enter your text there and when you were satisfied hit a button and the machine would print it.
I think you could also use a type directly mode, though.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Return to The Broken Drum