The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Terry Pratchett Prize, Round Two...

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:25 pm

I like going over editorial comments and seeing what's been done through someone else's eyes even if I don't always go with the suggestions :lol:

As for cracking on - the stuff I've been writing recently has been hard to do because some of it's coming from very negative personal experience so I've not been so keen on the splurge method. This next bit's more action-based and character-led and really I've already got it mapped out mostly so it'll be fun and so my speed will pick up - when I'm on a roll I can do 2000 words a day easy... ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:I like going over editorial comments and seeing what's been done through someone else's eyes even if I don't always go with the suggestions :lol:

As for cracking on - the stuff I've been writing recently has been hard to do because some of it's coming from very negative personal experience so I've not been so keen on the splurge method. This next bit's more action-based and character-led and really I've already got it mapped out mostly so it'll be fun and so my speed will pick up - when I'm on a roll I can do 2000 words a day easy... ;)

Well, may the best person win.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:45 pm

Anyway, just managed to do review and revision of about a third of the book. The rest should be easier: I noticed some glaring continuity errors (partly because I had copied and pasted from previous drafts of the book, and partly stuff that I had written in that was meant to have a payoff later, but didn't), so I fixed those. And I've implemented some changes my critiquer suggested, and made other changes myself to help make the speech of characters seem more natural. :think:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:15 pm

Continuity's a problem for me as well, but mainly because I tend to write in spurts with gaps in between - this year's been hard for me to keep writing with the housemate having to go to hospital for various stuff so some of the action I haven't worked on for several months and it is hard to remember what's going on sometimes. :|

As for 'naturalness' I tend to go over every chapter as I finish and read any dialogue out loud (well in a whisper mostly as there's a lot of accents and I sound terrible :? ). I find it easier to fish any really silly-sounding bits that way ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Continuity's a problem for me as well, but mainly because I tend to write in spurts with gaps in between - this year's been hard for me to keep writing with the housemate having to go to hospital for various stuff so some of the action I haven't worked on for several months and it is hard to remember what's going on sometimes. :|

As for 'naturalness' I tend to go over every chapter as I finish and read any dialogue out loud (well in a whisper mostly as there's a lot of accents and I sound terrible :? ). I find it easier to fish any really silly-sounding bits that way ;)

Regarding continuity: that can be a problem too for me, not because I write in spurts, but because I forget details that were in the murky past of writing the novel.

Regarding dialogue: I don't do that. I'd probably look stupid doing so. But I tend to write in one of two styles of dialogue: Keanu Reeves, or Brian Blessed. :lol:

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:23 pm

:lol:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:48 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote: :lol:

The scary thing is, apparently Blessed taught Reeves how to meditate. Think on that for a mo.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:21 am

Welp, I've finished the first big sweep of my revision. I'll probably only add bits here and there, but the novel is all but done. All that needs to be done before the submission is the changing the font and the size and formatting.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:07 pm

130,200 and a bit words :o

Actually getting close to finishing now - hopefully another 5000 tops to go including a short Epilogue. May even finish it this weekend. Just as well there's only the 2 chapters that need editing - rest is done already :roll:
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:33 am

Well, my book is essentially done. I just need to get one bit of revision back from my friend, and then send it off.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:09 am

Submitted my entry to the TP Prize. :D

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:30 am

Quatermass wrote:Submitted my entry to the TP Prize. :D

Best wishes, Q! :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:46 am

Tonyblack wrote:
Quatermass wrote:Submitted my entry to the TP Prize. :D

Best wishes, Q! :)

Best wishes not needed, but duly appreciated. But then again, I get the feeling that, come March 31st, I'll have the exact same reaction that Rimmer had in Red Dwarf: Trojan when, despite telling Kryten that he was ready to accept a potential failure in his astronavigation exams, he reacts...badly to the actual failure.

I get the feeling that I'll be yelling the same thing at the computer screen.

"CAN YOU NEVER EVER SUCCEED AT ANYTHING, YOU USELESS RANCID CANCEROUS SACK OF SICK?!"

*bangs computer screen with hammer repeatedly in a fit of rage*

:lol:

But seriously, I am in with a chance, I hope.

Still, good omens today. I've sent off my TP Prize novel, I finished reading I Am Legend, and I finally got the Doctor Who Big Finish audio story I had ordered, Zagreus. Four Doctors, three epic episodes, two pierced hearts, and one seriously [EFF!]ed up story.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Dotsie » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 am

Well then I will wish you good luck, whether you want it or not ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:27 am

Whether I want it or not is irrelevant. I still appreciate the sentiment, even if wishing luck is a load of dingo's kidneys. :)

-the Master
Quatermass

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett