Re: Discworld News just in

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:46 am

Like Pip, I'll reserve judgement.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:00 pm

Ditto.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Just wait to see how it goes, when it happens there will be a bit of a fanfair to publicise it .
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby ShadowNinjaCat » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:00 pm

Wow,the atrial fibrillation news is a bit scary. :(
“We are all in the gutter,but some of us are looking at the stars.”- Oscar Wilde
ShadowNinjaCat

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:58 am

I think McCaffrey co-wrote a Pern book with her son as a way of handing the series over, maybe Terry will do the same.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby =Tamar » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:02 am

ShadowNinjaCat wrote:Wow,the atrial fibrillation news is a bit scary. :(

Should be all right for a while once they get his meds adjusted.
=Tamar

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:09 pm

No no no! I haven't shaken his hand yet! (though I never go to conventions etc. or have the money to anyway but still...) If Terry dies a large piece of me dies with him :( As for Rhianna taking over, the books she creates will never compare to her fathers, though the worst that would happen is mediocrity in my opinion. I doubt I will hate them, I just wont think much of them, granted that will still kill off the series for me but I don't think i'll throw her creations in the bin for example.
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Well we just don't know. What if she's better? :P Most people have a preferred 'era', if she can reproduce that then I'll never say never.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby KingCarrot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 pm

She obviously has potential to be as good as Terry, if not better - she is his child afterall and may have inherited his uniqueness. Terry will also give her a lot of his ideas so at least the novels will be going in a similar direction story-wise.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:50 pm

Rhianna must be good - she's a member of this site. :mrgreen:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby FredK » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:06 pm

If and when Rhianna takes over writing DW novels, I have only two hopes: 1. That she writes what SHE feels is important, interesting; in short, that she writes her OWN stories. 2. That she is judged on her own merits.

Literary offspring have more than once taken their parents' written legacy and the results have seemed--at best--like an ill-fitting suit. Brian Herbert springs to mind as another someone who probably should have left off his father Frank's notes and written his own ideas. Some have unfairly been judged harshly simply because they're not their parents.

I hope to be able to keep an open mind. I wish her the courage to follow her own path. :)
Quia Ego Sic Dico
FredK

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:49 pm

It's occurred to me that she might not want to do this, but can't admit it. I'm sure Terry knows his own daughter better than me though.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:23 pm

I think this is partly speculation/wishful thinking in the article. Terry's mentioned before about her perhaps writing for Discworld 'if she wants' before Narrativia was formed. At the con the focus was all on The Watch and her contribution to the writing for that and working with Guy Burt in the driving seat - I think really that's all this is to do with for the time being.

Writing for games/TV/comics/film (remember she's lead writer for the Tomb Raider reboot) is a different discipline to writing books after all. She did say at the con that she had ideas for new characters like a forensics Igorina for The Watch, so that's something new she wants to do and maybe this will have a knock on effect when her Dad leaves it, but she's not actually said anything about taking on the books side of things, so perhaps the article's making assumptions on Terry's blessing being there for her to pick it up 'if she wants' when he's done?

Or maybe it'll be just be her writing Discworld for a continuing visual media franchise which she is after all known for and obviously excels at, leaving the classic novels to stand as a memorial to her father?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby RSoak » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:32 pm

1. I was truly worried for him when I read bout the incident in NYC. Although I'm hopeful it's a situation of correcting the medications that caused it and not one of a general health deterioration.

2. I've read both articles and no where do I see that Rhianna will be writing Discworld books. Both hint at that, but what they both actually say is that he is handing over Discworld to her and that she's involved in the BBC show. She may not even attempt to write a DW book, and to be perfectly I honest, who would?
Last edited by RSoak on Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not who you know, it's who I know. - Dad

The enemy of good is perfect. - Mom
RSoak

Postby Molokov » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:38 am

RSoak is right - people are reading more into it than what Terry actually said. Yes, he will hand Discworld over to Rhianna when he goes, but it's never said that she will be writing novels.

I think there's a quote in another interview (with both Terry and Rhianna) where she says she doesn't really want to write Discworld novels as it's her father's creation, not her own.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

PreviousNext

Return to Terry Pratchett