Abridged Series...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Abridged Series...

Postby Quatermass » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:02 am

I didn't know where to put this, but I decided, given that we have a YouTube thread in the Broken Drum, to put it here.

I'm wondering, does anyone else here like Abridged Series?

For those of you not in the know, an Abridged Series takes (usually) an animated TV show, usually anime, and does an edited dub that is meant to be funnier than the original. Although there is usually just one or a few voice actors working on the show (which gets awkward when female voices are voiced obviously by a guy), some have a ridiculous amount of voice actors who make it feel like a quality dub, albeit one where everything is lampooned.

My personal favourites are:

Dragonball Z Abridged (Team Four Star): This is the first abridged series I watched, and it's certainly one of the best, based on the martial arts anime Dragonball Z. Though not as fourth-wall breaking as some, it has some pretty high quality, particularly in the later episodes, and has some pretty good quality of writing. It also has a larger cast than most Abridged Series, which means that the voices are all varied.

Hellsing Ultimate Abridged (Team Four Star): By the makers of Dragonball Z Abridged comes this adaptation of Hellsing Ultimate. They take a very violent anime, and basically turn it into the darkest of comedies. Lots of swearing, violence, and sexual references, but it can be riotously funny.

Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged (LittleKuriboh): The first Abridged Series (though not the first ever to use the re-edited gag dub concept), LittleKuriboh established much of what was to come. Although he does all of the voice acting for most of the episodes, and the quality lags at times, the dialogue can be very funny, with many postmodern jokes and satire of the fact that the fate of the world revolves around a children's card game.

Anyone else?

(Oops, bolded instead of italicised Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged...)
Last edited by Quatermass on Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Re: Abridged Series...

Postby ChristianBecker » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:08 pm

Ah, that's what "abridged" means - you post about something or other from abridged series quite often. I was wondering why anyone would watch a series that was just shortened.
Well, since I'm not much of a series watcher (I've discovered Big Bang Theory recently but I don't think it has to be abridged) I can't say I like abridged series.
There's something similar made for TNG, only a few episodes and in German, so you probably wouldn't like it. It's more of a parody, too, so the plot doesn't resemble the original plot. It's called "Sinnlos im Weltraum" (Mindless in space).
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 4:00 pm

A number of abridged series are like that. changing up the story for comedic purposes. There used to be a series on tv that did that for movies years ago. redubbed them with odd dialouge. can't remember the name. think it was a british series cause I remember the channel 4 logo at the end. the only ep i can remember though was for Night Of The Living dead. The main one I follow now is Friendship Is Witchcraft. very dry, but has some amusing moments. turned two of the characters into war veterans, another is a cult leader trying to bring about the end of the world, and one into a robot that everyone thinks is real, but she speaks with a clearly synthetic voice. Started out as a simple abridged series, but later started using multiple eps for footage and even new animations.

Need to finish DBZ abridged though. forgot where i left off. :/
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:04 am

Well, they've done up to the end of the Frieza Saga now, raptornx01. Team Four Star have their own website, so if you want to look it up, go ahead.

ChristianBecker, an Abridged Series is generally with animated series, probably because the animation can be edited to suit the dialogue better, particularly anime (which generally has simple mouth flapping). There are Abridged Series of live action shows, yes, but anime tends to work best for the purposes of a gag dub. Anyway, it's also more of an internet-based phenomenon.
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Jo of the Gates » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:05 am

This exchange makes me think of RiffTrax. They make full-length comic commentaries of popular movies. Pretty funny stuff, most of it. When I've seen a movie several times, adding the RiffTrax soundtrack puts it in a funny new light!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:10 am

An Abridged series differs from a RiffTrax commentary (or an MST3K-style thing) in that it actually redubs and re-edits the series. For example, a RiffTrax commentary may have the commentators poke fun at the story or characters, but an Abridged series actually has the characters poking fun at the conventions.

Here's an example in the form of the remade version of the first episode of Yu-Gi-Oh! Abridged.

Quatermass

Postby gm1k » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 am

That was hilarious ;)
Made my day, and I expect annoy most of the people on the mass email I sent out :P
gm1k

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:28 pm

The later episodes get better, and tend to break the fourth wall.

Quatermass

Postby Del » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Cant say it really "abridged" .... but I do admit to having watched a movie or two that has been pushed on me and that I really have NO interest in watching... but yanno... there WILL be a test on this in the morning people!!! (ie.. Ehmegawd!!!! Didnt you just LUV that movie? what did you think of it? wasnt tom cruise just adorable! Didnt you just LUV what she wore at the White House?, etc" in FAST FORWARD!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I mean really FAST fast forward.... you would be suprised how many movies you can get the full story of this way without actually having to lose any real time in dogs years from YOUR life. :D
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 pm

I've done it :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:11 pm

Dotsie wrote:I've done it :lol:

Me too! Someone insisted that I simply MUST watch The Rocky Horror Picture Show. I know it's considered a cult and some people love it, but I thought it was awful and thanked however invented fast forward buttons. :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby KingCarrot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:32 pm

I couldn't tolerate Rocky Horror Picture Show, there is only one musical that I will watch over and over again; Repo! The Genetic Opera... Absolutely amazing - but you have to be pretty twisted to enjoy it.

Blood, guts, organ-stealing and singing... lol
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 pm

KingCarrot wrote:I couldn't tolerate Rocky Horror Picture Show, there is only one musical that I will watch over and over again; Repo! The Genetic Opera... Absolutely amazing - but you have to be pretty twisted to enjoy it.

Blood, guts, organ-stealing and singing... lol

Well, then, you'd probably like Team Four Star's Hellsing Ultimate Abridged. It takes the violent vampire-hunting series Hellsing Ultimate and makes it not only funny, but very blackly comic. Initial lines after a false intro...:

Inside a house, filled with bodies, 'Edward' and 'Bella' are embracing.

Bella Swan: Oh, yes. I love you, Edward.

Edward Cullen: And I...love you...Bella.

(There's a knock at the door)

Edward: Hold on. (goes to the door) Who is it?

Alucard: Oh, you know. (Mulches Edward with a ridiculous amount of shots from a Big Effing Handgun) A real f***ing vampire!!!

So, fair warning. NSFW for violence, sexual references, and language. Think of it as a 15 under the BBFC ratings. But it is also extremely funny, if you like black comedy.

Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:26 am

:| I like black comedy. Although I liked the priest I dunno about that ^ stuff. :roll: Bloody Nazis.

''I was dying to sink my teeth into something. Get it? Cause I'm a vampire.'' I don't know about this explaining jokes. I do get it.

I didn't know Rocky Horror was meant to be black comedy. I was thinking more schlock.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 20, 2012 8:27 am

Sister Jennifer wrote::| I like black comedy. Although I liked the priest I dunno about that ^ stuff. :roll: Bloody Nazis.

It helps if you watched Hellsing Ultimate, though the violence is played more straight.

Sister Jennifer wrote:''I was dying to sink my teeth into something. Get it? Cause I'm a vampire.'' I don't know about this explaining jokes. I do get it.

That's part of the joke. Alucard (in the Abridged series, anyway) is basically like a big naughty boy, albeit one who is a complete sociopath. Seriously, in the next episode, he gets his boss, Sir Integra Hellsing (yes, she is called Sir Integra, don't ask), to bribe him with a 70-inch widescreen plasma TV with Netflix, all so he could watch Adventure Time, which is a cartoon if you didn't know. Of course, when the TV is shot by an enemy, Alucard is far from happy...

Sister Jennifer wrote:I didn't know Rocky Horror was meant to be black comedy. I was thinking more schlock.

He was referring to Repo!: The Genetic Opera when he meant black comedy, I think.

Quatermass

Next

Return to The Broken Drum