The Third Person Thread - Part the first

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: The Third Person Thread - Part the first

Postby Docandie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:10 am

Jo, the topic was going for a very long time, years, on the other forum that is now defunct.

Docandie is amazed at how much it has stalled because there was a time, when there were quite a few more active boardies, where it was generating 100 pages (at which point a new topic would be generated) every two or three months, more activity at certain times of the year.

Docandie fondly recalls posts of Anna, Boo, RentaWitch and others whose names now escape her memory. She wonders where all these folks now are and wishes that they would return...
I'm NOT overweight, I'm undertall!

My Blog http://www.asenjigalblogs.com/
Docandie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:20 am

Renta is a member here, but she rarily posts. She posts more often on the Cunning Artificer's forum. Tony has noticed that some ideas that work fine on one forum, struggle on another.

The CA board used to have a Goodnight thread where boardies posted to say that they were off to bed and "goodnight". It was hugely popular at one time, but hasn't been posted on in years. :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby buxton3 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:21 am

Mac pops in she has been busy with coursework she has been on the forum but not posting :whistle: Mac noticed that the thread is slow but it seems everyone is busy with RL and other things get forgot. Mac is currenty trying to get all her christmas shopping done in the next few weeks and is going mad trying to think of stuff for people.

Mac has also decided (not sure why :roll: ) to make indiviual christmas cakes for friends but she has never made on and rarely decorates cakes hmm this may be a disaster :S oh well

Mac hops off as she should be doing work but leaves cookies and hot chocolate
'Ay, Nac Mac Feegles to the rescue' Then some drinkin', fightin' and stealin'!

Pan narrans
buxton3

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:32 am

Tony has just done a stack of ironing and now Tony is taking it easy. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Will of Lancre » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:16 pm

Will waves hello to Jo and wishes Mac good luck with her Xmas cakes.

The only time Will tried to make a cake it was a disaster... well, that is to say the crumbs were very tasty, but they didn't exactly cohere to form what could be described as a cake. :roll:

Will has just finished work for the week and is looking forward to the weekend. Will hopes he has enough energy to enjoy it...
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Docandie » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:40 pm

IRONING?? Wow, you are ambitious. My compliments!

Docandie does not "iron" but she does have a commercial steamer that allows "ironing" or de-wrinkling while a garment is hanging. Otherwise Docandie tries to buy things that never require ironing. Otherwise they go to the commercial cleaners for processing.

There is still an iron and ironing board in one of the bedrooms - left over from when Docandie had a live-in housekeeper who really liked to iron and also sewed and used the iron for her projects.
Docandie has used it twice during the past few years - both times to iron-on a decorative patch on a sweatshirt. One more time it was used to "hem" a garment with the fusible garment tape because the arthritis in Docandie's hand makes it difficult to sew.

Docandie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:35 pm

Tony enjoys ironing. He finds it a good way to relax and mull things over if he has a problem. :)
Tonyblack

Postby jaznbonnie » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:14 am

Bonnie hopes Mac isn't using a cake recipe from Mina-bird. :o ;) She tellsTony that she is definately siding with Docandie on the ironing bit. She only does it when forced to. :roll: If Bonnie wants to be productive while mulling over something, she usually ends up working on a crochet project. It is also useful for keeping her hands busy while watching tv so she doesn't snack. :D
Be careful what you wish for as you just might get it.
jaznbonnie

Postby chillicamper » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:25 am

Chillicamper waves to Jo and advises that he also felt a bit silly with the third party stuff initially. But now he speaks like this all the time :D

Chillicamper would like to ask everyone what this mysterious 'ironing' is? He has heard the phrase used before in his life, but had always assumed it was some terrible medieval torture - but it seemingly relates to clothing??? ;)

Chillicamper sympathises with Mac for having to do Christmas shopping. Chilli is trying to get his done early this year - and has about half bought already. Chilli also wonders if he should be incredibly cheeky :oops: and remind people to visit the i wood love that site in his signature as there is a wealth of lovely little christmas pressie ideas there at bargain prices.......and thats cutting me own throat dontcha know ;) :oops: :lol:

Chilli is also wondering whether to make some cakes this weekend - or at least do some baking - cookies maybe???
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Jo of the Gates » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:22 pm

For Jo, "ironing" is what she calls "pressing" (seams and hems) when constructing clothing. Never iron anything afterwards - life is too short!
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Docandie » Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:05 am

Docandie decided some time ago, as she aged, that having something ironed too smooth, too close to the face, just points up the wrinkles.
Wrinkles in the clothing may make wrinkles in the skin less obvious... At least it's a theory that intrigues Docandie.

Docandie

Postby cheery_j. » Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:35 am

Jules likes docandie's theory! However, she's a bit too young to use it as a reason for not ironing - yet.
The Juleses have lots of bird feeders this winter - it's a way of making sure not much work is being done when Jules is sitting at her desk. At the moment she can watch the finches fight for sunflower seeds. For some reason the concept of sharing seems to be completely strange to the little buggers.
cheery_j.

Postby Will of Lancre » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:08 pm

Will has got some bird food to hang on his apple tree when the weather gets colder. For the moment there are still enough berries on the hedges to keep them fed.

Will likes to hang the bird food from a thin branch which is too fragile for big aggressive birds like magpies. And cats. Not that Will's cats could be bothered to go catching birds at their advanced ages (Will has worked out that both cats are older than him in cat years).
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby AuntyVague » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:23 am

Aunty has noticed that a few volunteer sunflowers are growing out of the compost she used in her vegetable patch. She is going to let them grow as she hasn't yet managed to sow any sunflowers for the birds herself and she loves to see the rosellas dangling under them in late summer trying to reach the last seeds! Aunty clearly didn't let her compost bake long enough as it as is shooting up pumpkin, tomato and sunflower seedlings everywhere, but she is pretty happy with an instant if random garden :)
AuntyVague

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:59 pm

Tony remembers when he was a young lad and had a couple of guinea pigs. There were always interesting plants growing from their discarded food - including sunflowers. :)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum