Explaining your avatar and/or signature.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:50 am

i agree with jamara the smurfs are just little polite nac mac feegle
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:54 pm

:o I just had a thought - I wonder if Terry was thinking of Smurfette when he created the Keldas of the NMF? :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Sat Aug 30, 2008 2:44 pm

it does seem likely . little blue men single female all with different traits. is there a hidden kelda somewhere in smurfland coz didnt see any stretch marks on smurfette :P
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby nevermind » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:56 pm

Tonyblack wrote:Image

This is one that Jenn, the artist did for me. :D

My twin Brother from Wales :?
nevermind

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:54 am

:lol: Uncanny! :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Jinx » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:28 pm

I've given myself a signature since I explained my avatar, so I thought I'd come back and explain that now. ;)

I'm sure you all recognise where the quote comes from, so I'll skip that bit and get straight onto the Why.
Basically life has been throwing hurdle after hurdle at me. I'm due to get married in November. We're getting married in St. Thomas, USVI. If I listed everything that has happened to threaten this you would be here all day reading it. Minus the details what has happened is multiple unexpected expenses (car problems, property damage, etc.), family quarrels (some who are going along, some who aren't), lost contact with the planners (they changed web address without telling us, so email adds were void), problems with flight bookings, and now I'm under consultation in work and expecting redundancy and have a few potential health issues. Every one of these challenges we've met so far and been more than equal to it (except I still have to get to docs).

So, the signature isn't so much for informative purposes like Granny Weatherwax. It's there to mock and even antagonise any forces conspiring against us.
It's a bit childish, like sticking your thumbs in your ears, wiggling your fingers, sticking your tongue out your mouth and saying "Nah nah nah nah nah nah! You can't get me!", but that's me all over.
Jinx

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:31 pm

:o Good grief! Best of luck Jinx, looks like you need it. Terry does seem to have a quote for all occassions and that one certainly works! :D
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Jinx, hubby and I organised our own wedding. At first set for New York and the Empire State Building which completely fell apart and was rescheduled for nearer to home. Quite stressful, especially as we had a budget of just £3000 for the whole shebang but take heart, we're almost 6 months on from the big day and all turned out wonderful, as I'm sure yours will.
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby Nausica » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:24 pm

My avatar is a cybermat, from Doctor Who! I chose it because I like robots and this one seemed cute...

No sig yet. Maybe later.
Nausica

Postby Pita » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:46 pm

Heh
Me opposite
Me only have sig
Sig awesome cause TP have flamethrower fixation, much like me
There will always be a light at the end of the tunnel. It will usually be a flamethrower.
Pita

Postby Tonyblack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:43 pm

My new signature "Someone had to eat the first oyster, you know. Someone looked at half a shell full of snot and was brave" is from Nation by some bloke named Pratchett. :D
Tonyblack

Postby Casaninbetween » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:00 pm

Jinx wrote:The image is something I use a lot, originally I was gonna print a T-Shirt with it, but now it's on everything. My avatars, icons for programs I write I've even been working on a small watermark to put in the corner of graphics I make now.

I was gonna go with "Jinx" under a ladder, but then changed my mind and settled on a black cat because of the debate about whether a black cat crossing your path is good luck or bad luck.

Jinx, I think that with a tiny amount of tweaking, your avatar could be made to look both like a black cat, and the silhouette of an old lady sitting in a rocking chair, depending on your frame of mind when looking at it. You know, like that picture of an old lady, who at the same time is a picture of a young woman turning her head away. Actually, at first glance, I really thought your avatar was the silhouette of an old lady in a rocking chair.

Not that an old lady in a rocking chair has anything to do with you... I just think it's a fun idea. :)

RayScollen wrote:I don't have an Avatar as none of my pics are small enough but my signature is my life :lol:

Do you have the program Paint? If so, you can shrink your pictures. It's easy, you just choose "change size" somewhere in the top panel, if I remember correctly.

ColinEdwards wrote:PS: If I had an avatar it would probably be my daily inspiration - a blank sheet of paper.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. That's a really good idea. Would you mind if I stole it?

After I watched the movie Sin City, I really felt like drawing a black-and-white picture of myself, similar in style to the classical Che Guevara t-shirt. For this, however, I needed a relly high-contrast picture of myself - preferably one where I looked cool. After some search, I found a great spot in the town at night under a bright light and in front of a reflective window, and took a picture with my camera phone. This was easily traced into what is now my avatar, which is actually made by hand, in acrylic paint, I think. I guess it would be easier to do in Photoshop. I certainly would if I could.

My signature is my entire CV.
The World's Most Mediocre Lover
Casaninbetween

Postby no___0ne » Mon Sep 15, 2008 7:04 am

Dotsie wrote: it feels like commiting to a tatoo!

i'm with you Dotsie, although the notion of quoting 'THERE'S NO JUSTICE, JUST US.' has a certain appeal.
no___0ne

Postby Jarmara » Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:28 am

THERE IS NO JUSTICE, THERE'S JUST ME

Was my sig on a forum I modded :lol:
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Postby rentawitch » Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:54 pm

This av was from a description by me and done by Zephyr - a very talented artist from Texas.

My signature is self-evident i think?

:D
I love my computer, all my friends live in it.
rentawitch

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum