red dwarf x

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: red dwarf x

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:16 pm

Watched Fathers and Suns. Good Lister plot and Chinese whispers subplot, Pree plot was pretty meh, as she had all the personality of a gyprock wall. Hoping Lemons will be better.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:30 pm

You're halfway through the series, Q. We had the final episode here last week.

There was no announcement at the end as to whether there'd be another series.

Fingers crossed.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:19 pm

I think they may anylze the reactions and ratings first then decide if there is going any more.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Actually, I'm a third of the way through the series. Fathers and Suns was the second episode of this series.

I have to admit, funny though they are, they're less fun to watch.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby KingCarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:08 am

I thought Red Dwarf X was fantastic, it felt like the old series. I really hope they make another one, I would definitely be watching it. I do miss the old holly though (Norman Lovett?)

As for Back To Earth - I thought that was awful. The lack of canned laughter ruined it for me. I know some people say canned laughter is annoying, but it prompts laughter in my opinion - it felt too serious without it.

Anyone have an all time favourite? Mine is definitely Gunmen of the Apocalypse. Also, the one where they went to another spacecraft and tried to eat with them telekinetic green things (can't remember what episode) - that made me laugh so hard.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Quatermass » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:22 am

All-time favourite? A bit difficult, but I will say either Quarantine or The Inquisitor. Series five was, in my opinion, the best series of Red Dwarf.

And Back to Earth was more serious in general. The lack of laughter track only served to enhance that.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 am

I really enjoyed the series as well and filming in front of a live audience, like the earlier series, made all the difference (imo). I hope they do make another. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:39 pm

KingCarrot wrote:Anyone have an all time favourite? Mine is definitely Gunmen of the Apocalypse. Also, the one where they went to another spacecraft and tried to eat with them telekinetic green things (can't remember what episode) - that made me laugh so hard.

That was Legion I think - if it had Stephen Fry voicing the vampire robot :lol: That whole series was brilliant - the very top of their game as the following series (7?) where Rimmer left halfway through and they brought Kochanski back just wasn't the same for me somehow although the girl was pretty good :? It just upset the ambience to lose such a key character after such a long time.

I think the Back to Reality episode is my fave (the Despair Squid was inspired and Dwayne Dibbley is just so wonderful! :lol: )
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:04 pm

It's not canned. They're filmed in front of a live audience.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby KingCarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:06 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:It's not canned. They're filmed in front of a live audience.

Learn something new everyday.

Lol, thanks for correcting me.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby Molokov » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm

Or rather... everything except S6, S7 and Back to Earth was filmed in front of a live audience.

Obviously, the location stuff (outside in a forest sort-of-thing) is shot beforehand, and some of the fancier special effects shots are also shot in advance, but *most* of it is shot with an audience.

I believe chris boote was in the audience for at least one show of RDX, he can tell us of his experience :)
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby MongoGutman » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:04 am

I think there's strong indications that this is the end of Red Dwarf

Spoiler: show
1) The last episode is called The Beginning. Episode 1, season 1 was called The End.
2) In the last episode Rimmer is the hero. Rimmer. Hero. It breaks the mould.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

Postby KingCarrot » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:25 pm

MongoGutman wrote:I think there's strong indications that this is the end of Red Dwarf

1) The last episode is called The Beginning. Episode 1, season 1 was called The End.
2) In the last episode Rimmer is the hero. Rimmer. Hero. It breaks the mould.

*Covers his eyes and plugs his ears*
KingCarrot

Postby Quatermass » Sat Nov 17, 2012 11:23 pm

Maybe not, MongoGutman, but it means that it's a better high to go out on than Only the Good..., so if they don't come back...

Also, keep in mind that Rimmer may very well still be cowardly and disdainful. The only thing he has boosted is his self-esteem. It might make him into even more of a prick than before... :shock:

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby MongoGutman » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 am

The symmetry of the titles is very compelling, though, going from The End to the Beginning... I mean, what would you call the next episode? Foreword? Title Page? Artistically it appeals. This season they went back to basics and did the old jokes but it all seemed a little stale and the crew were clearly past their best - it was better than the Back to Earth miniseries but from here it can only go downhill.

And I think the Rimmer thing was deliberate - the rest of the crew had to act a little out of character in order to shoe-horn it in: the way they assigned him the task and trusted him with it didn't ring true.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre