Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Digital ink vs paper - your current thoughts

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:06 pm

raisindot wrote:
Tonyblack wrote:
Bouncy Castle wrote:I think that's a tad mean to Mr Willis, that he won't be able to leave them to his daughters. Then again, are his tastes their tastes?

I think that's kind of not the point and suspect this is Bruce making a point that is relevant to this thread. If they had been paper books then there would be no problem whatsoever of him leaving them to his daughters, or giving them to friends, or loaning them or whatever. Digital media says you can't do that. Well why not? If you pay money for something it should be yours to do with as you wish - shouldn't it? :?

Actually, this isn't true. When you buy digital media you're not buying the media itself--you're buying a LICENSE to use that piece of media on whatever device or devices the licenses allows you. It's the same with software. You're just buying a license to use that software on however many machines the license allows. The license is yours and is generally non-transferable. That's why it's technically illegal to sell copyrighted software (at least here in the States), since it's a violation of copyright laws. The laws on 'possession' of books, printed matter and other 'physical' items with copyrights are different, although it's also illegal to copy books or copy tracks from LPs, records or anything else and make mix tapes or MP3 disks or whatever. Of course, the existence of these laws has been nearly completely ineffective in preventing people from copying and distributing pieces of protected property. The difference with E-books is that Amazon and Apple have ways of building verification into the files themselves to prevent unauthorized copying (or at least identify it when it is occuring).
Yes, that's what I thought. And that's why I think Bruce Willis is challenging it. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:14 pm

I understand what you are saying Raisin....

When I was working for the Inclusive Learning Technologies company this is what happened to their software and fair enough... the programs had to be developed and written and that costs time and money and so the license agreements for the programs covered the campus or organisation that brought it and at a high cost for the product and of course it should be valid that the consumer doesnt pass it on for free, yes.... but these were interactive programs, programs that could have students or peoples work entered and saved, evaluated, tailored to an idividuals needs, etc.

I understand that. Its the same as with games you buy on disc.

But with things like books and music you dont change the program. You dont interact with the actual data.

Thats why I think books and music should be exempt from those laws.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby pip » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:47 am

Bookshelf arrived and fitted on friday. Because they cocked up first time and it was late we got it for 70 euro :D
Had great fun Saturday filling it. :D We/re getting another one custom made for the other side of the fireplace to replace a much smaller one :D
We've put little items in front of certain books and collections relating to the books in some way :D

Books waiting to go on
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Selkie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:53 am

*sighs* What lovely neat shelves! I have a run of book cases on my landing. They are stacked 2 deep with more books squished in on top on their sides. I want your bookshelves!!! One day, when the kids move out, I will have my library :)
Selkie

Postby pip » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:59 am

Selkie wrote:*sighs* What lovely neat shelves! I have a run of book cases on my landing. They are stacked 2 deep with more books squished in on top on their sides. I want your bookshelves!!! One day, when the kids move out, I will have my library :)

We bought them for that very reason . We were two deep and had books slid in on top of others. Now we can see what we have . we have another bookshelf in the room which is the one we're going to replace , Mrs pip and myself share another set of shlves in our utility room room with History books for teaching for her and all my geography,environmental and mapping stuff and wee Harry has two shelves in his room for his collection :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:28 am

2 shelves of books, and he can't even read yet!!

That kid is going to be a busy boy when he gets his letters and numbers figured out. No time for an X-Box, eh, dad? ;)
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:30 am

He can share my xbox. we'll decimate zombies together :D
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:55 am

Nice!! I still haven't picked up bookshelves. It's on my list.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:51 pm

pip wrote:He can share my xbox. we'll decimate zombies together :D

Quality time! :lol:

I still can't fit all my books on the shelves I've got, and I'm thinking if we redecorate the spare room for any reason, I'll be down to two tiny shelves in the office. Time for a cull, lucky I have a Kobo ;)
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:14 pm

Nice shelfs pip, is that a kindle you're hiding on the top shelf Bouncy will be so proud of you. :lol: :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:54 pm

Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 pm

On monday I had to work from home, but I needed some textbooks that I'd left in my office. Happily, I was able to access the same books digitally through the library website. Hurrah for digital!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Jo of the Gates » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 am

jtrhoades wrote:Not sure if it's been mentioned(I only skimmed) but one significant point, you can't get an autograph on a digital copy of a book.

I had a dream about that very thing! I was in a large store and none other than Terry P was there signing books, and I got in line, only to realize I only had my Kindle. But he had a Sharpie and signed the back anyway. Too bad it was only a dream.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Postby Jo of the Gates » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:20 am

I jumped right on the Kindle wagon, gradually replacing my favorite dead tree books where possible (still a great number of them not digitized). I dislike how they keep making newer and newer models. I have a Gen2, and I don't see ever needing anything fancier or newer. But try to find a cover that fits a Gen2! Still, my K goes everywhere with me. I highlight and add notes all the time, and also download lengthy articles to send to myself on Kindle - my pet name for it is L-Space. At any rate, I think the debate is moot. Think back a century or so to the folks who refused to get one o' them new-fangled auto-mobiles. Too much to go wrong, I'll keep my horse, thank you very much! I love horses, but thank gods for my Toyota! Samesame.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
--Douglas Adams
Jo of the Gates

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum