Remembrance Day.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Remembrance Day.

Postby Watchman44 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:23 pm

Tomorrow is Rememberance day in the UK, when we remember those who gave their lives in conflict. This weekend I would like to remember my great uncles,
Alfred George Edwards, died 18/7/16 aged 20,
Patrick Petticrew, died 11/4/17 aged 19,
Albert James Drew, died 13/6/18 aged 19 and
Francis John Drew, died 3/2/17 aged 22.
We will remember them.
Who watches the watchman.......
FABRICATI DIEM, PVNC
Watchman44

Re: Remembrance Day.

Postby Batty » Sat Nov 10, 2012 2:49 pm

And for anyone who wears a poppy, the leaf is supposed to point to to the 11 o'clock position. ImageImage
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:43 am

You lot in the UK have a "set" poppy for your Remembrance Day I have noticed. We tend towards the silk type sold by the RSL (Returned Soldiers League). It looks like a real poppy. And because every one bought is a donation to the RSL you can even buy gold and enamelled ones. Or you can buy specific badges commemorating a war. Loads of choice. Most people opt for the poppy.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:01 pm

The poppies sold here go to the Haig Fund, a charity set up to help ex service people from all conflicts.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Del » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Oops. My bad. RSL is the Returned and Services League.

Legacy is another group here who looks after the Returned Service personnel and thier families...... Amazing amazing group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legacy_Australia

They get my money every time. (Dad always supported them) When Dad died, they turned up with a Naval as well as an Army Honour Guard for his funeral. (He had been in the Navy before the war then joined the Army when the war started). They quietly paid for mum's phone bill (as they understood her phone bill had skyrocketed in the last few weeks he was ill and knew she would have been calling all of us far flung sons and daughters while he was failing).

We found out later too that they had consistently approached Dad every time one of us kids had finished High School to offer a scholarship to send each of us to university but Dad had been too proud to accept... saying that the money needed to go to families with more pressing needs.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:18 pm

I bought a poppy brooch from the Royal British Legion on-line shop. It's made in Wales and you can add a donation to the order, if you want to.
The British Legion do so much to help families, I support them whenever I can.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:43 pm

This was the 1st year I only had to buy one poppy, I normally lose a couple of them.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

i bought another rubber band one, the same as i had last year :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Return to The Broken Drum