Discworld News just in

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Discworld News just in

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:47 pm

He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Re: Discworld News just in

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:03 pm

:shock: In the NS article it also says about Terry having an atrial fibrillation in New York and Rob having to give CPR in the back of a taxi!

Great as it is to know Rhianna will be there to sit down at Terry's writing desk eventually it's really sad to hear about him going downhill now - I thought at the Convention that he seemed a lot frailer than he was in 2010 :cry:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:59 pm

Ohmygosh. :shock: Very scary news about the heart attack. So glad he recovered quickly. And way to go Rob!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:12 pm

I hope he will make it Hogwatch this year. :pray:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tiffany » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:24 pm

Great to hear that, like the Son of Anne McCaffrey, who's carrying on the Pern series, an offspring of Terry's is going to carry on writing the books about the Discworld. :clap: :clap:
Best wishes,
Tiff
Tiffany

Postby michelanCello » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:28 pm

I don't know... it's probably me, but it somehow doesn't seem right... :?
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:31 pm

Very scary news about the heart problems. :o
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:02 pm

He does do a lot of running about to various functions and events, even more so now.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chillicamper » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:44 am

I don't know if this has been posted elsewhere, but here's a TP interview with Fiona Phillips about Alzheimers.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/te ... ps-1434665

Scary news about the atrial fibrillation :shock:
Wooden stuff at www.iwoodlovethat.co.uk
chillicamper

Postby Quatermass » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:16 am

Very startled to hear about the atrial fibrillation. :shock:

As for Terry Pratchett handing things over to his daughter, well, I know she's already a writer, but save for one novella, she's really only written for media other than books, specifically video games. This is one of those things where anything can happen, from being spectacularly bad to being so spectacularly good, she would equal, or even surpass her father. The latter, obviously, is what I hope for. But even then, such a decision isn't going to be free from controversy. I heard that Albert Uderzo's children are objecting to him allowing the continuation of Asterix after he dies, and of course, we have the controversy over Brian Herbert and the new Dune novels.

I hope Terry Pratchett knows what he is doing. It's his decision, of course. And he's still got enough of his faculties left to know that this is one of those 'sound mind' deals.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby pip » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:32 am

I'll reserve judgement here. As Q said it might just work. If the books are useless i won't read them and if they are great we have a continuation to the series :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby KingCarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:47 am

I wonder if he has been thoroughly tested for chronic lyme disease. Some study I read the other day said that 80% of people with Alzheimer's have lyme spirochetes in their body...

Chronic Lyme Disease is evil, and what's worse is that most doctor's say it doesn't exist after the initial antibiotic treatment for it... unfortunately, it's good at hiding and turns into cysts to avoid treatment.

Obviously I am not saying this is the case, but I am just clutching at straws.
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:52 am

Bad news about the heart condition, not seen anything about that before. We may well get a pointer as to what Rhianna would be like with the series when The Watch TV programmes are made, but only a pointer as she is just part of the writing team. I'm not sure about her taking over, Tiffany mentioned the Pern books which frankly nosedived in quality when Anne stopped writing them, we can only wait and see and hope that the time when a change comes is still a long way off.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Quatermass » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:04 am

Look at it this way: Terry Pratchett can help bring his daughter into Discworld gently, as it should be some time before his faculties go. Okay, the same thing happened with the McCaffreys, and that didn't quite work out, but it has worked before. It's common practice (or was, I dunno) for replacement producers and script editors in the BBC to trail their predecessors in the job for some time to learn what to do. If Rhianna Pratchett loves the Discworld, then that's a good start. She's just got to be unafraid of giving the characters hell if need be.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby KingCarrot » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:15 am

Quatermass wrote:Look at it this way: Terry Pratchett can help bring his daughter into Discworld gently, as it should be some time before his faculties go. Okay, the same thing happened with the McCaffreys, and that didn't quite work out, but it has worked before. It's common practice (or was, I dunno) for replacement producers and script editors in the BBC to trail their predecessors in the job for some time to learn what to do. If Rhianna Pratchett loves the Discworld, then that's a good start. She's just got to be unafraid of giving the characters hell if need be.

Amen
It's hard to be optimistic when there are all these clouds attached to my silver lining.
KingCarrot

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett