Solar eclipse...

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Solar eclipse...

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:13 pm

So, I've just seen my first solar eclipse. Not a total eclipse, that's happening up north, but even where I live, there's a partial eclipse. Managed to see the sun obscured partially by the moon thanks to a bit of Macgyvering with polarized lenses, though I restricted my viewing to a few seconds at most, just in case. BTW, DNTTAH*. :?

*Do NOT Try This At Home.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Re: Solar eclipse...

Postby Penfold » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:01 pm

I hope you enjoyed it Q. According to Wiki, we have to wait until March 20, 2015 for our next partial one here in the UK. However, it promises to be a biggun. :D

Wiki wrote:20 March 2015
An eclipse which is total across the north Atlantic including the Faroe Islands will result in a large partial eclipse across the UK, greater than 80% everywhere.

Our next full solar eclipse will be 23rd September 2090. I think I shall give that one a miss. :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:03 pm

Penfold wrote:I hope you enjoyed it Q. According to Wiki, we have to wait until March 20, 2015 for our next partial one here in the UK. However, it promises to be a biggun. :D

Wiki wrote:20 March 2015
An eclipse which is total across the north Atlantic including the Faroe Islands will result in a large partial eclipse across the UK, greater than 80% everywhere.

Our next full solar eclipse will be 23rd September 2090. I think I shall give that one a miss. :lol:

I dunno. Maybe you can have your head chopped off and frozen in liquid nitrogen. Maybe they'll be able to revive you. :lol:
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:33 am

The wonders of the universe eh? Missed seeing it :| .

Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:04 am

Just watched it on BBC digital news channel. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Del » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:50 am

Sister Jennifer wrote:The wonders of the universe eh? Missed seeing it :| .

I missed seeing it toooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( :( :( We had a 88% here I think.

BUGGER! We are a HUGE astronomy family. I darned well texted everyone and had some stuff to do and stayed up late and then FELL ASLEEP !!!!!!!! Morgan said she woke up just before 7am and it was dark and thought a storm was coming so went back to sleep for a bit.... she is so mad at me for not telling her :roll: I DID!!!!

And you are right Q.... Optometrists dont trust those cheap glasses either.... neither do I. I had frieds who watched it through the sons welding mask. You know.. you THINK you will never NEED a welding mask.....

I am so glad the clouds parted enough for all the 60,000 sun watchers who flew to Cairns up north.

Personally I have never got over Haleys comet being a dud the ONE FREAKING TIME IT CAME OVER IN MY DAMN LIFETIME!!!!!
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:04 pm

I just saw the eclipse on the news. I always think that they look wonderful and mysterious ... Is that as stone age emotion resurfacing, I wonder?? :think:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby spideyGirl » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Batty wrote:I just saw the eclipse on the news. I always think that they look wonderful and mysterious ... Is that as stone age emotion resurfacing, I wonder?? :think:

Possibly, have you felt any urges to sacrifice anyone or yell at it really loudly? ;)
spideyGirl

Postby Batty » Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:37 pm

spideyGirl wrote:
Batty wrote:I just saw the eclipse on the news. I always think that they look wonderful and mysterious ... Is that as stone age emotion resurfacing, I wonder?? :think:

Possibly, have you felt any urges to sacrifice anyone or yell at it really loudly? ;)

I could easily choose someone to sacrifice to the Gods... :whistle:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:41 pm

Del wrote:
Sister Jennifer wrote:The wonders of the universe eh? Missed seeing it :| .

I missed seeing it toooooooooooooooooooooooooo :( :( :( We had a 88% here I think.

BUGGER! We are a HUGE astronomy family. I darned well texted everyone and had some stuff to do and stayed up late and then FELL ASLEEP !!!!!!!! Morgan said she woke up just before 7am and it was dark and thought a storm was coming so went back to sleep for a bit.... she is so mad at me for not telling her :roll: I DID!!!!

And you are right Q.... Optometrists dont trust those cheap glasses either.... neither do I. I had frieds who watched it through the sons welding mask. You know.. you THINK you will never NEED a welding mask.....

I am so glad the clouds parted enough for all the 60,000 sun watchers who flew to Cairns up north.

Personally I have never got over Haleys comet being a dud the ONE FREAKING TIME IT CAME OVER IN MY DAMN LIFETIME!!!!!

Del was probably so knackered after building the stone table and bonfire that's why she fell asleep, just as well really. ;) :whistle: :whistle: :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:29 pm

Del wrote:I had frieds who watched it through the sons welding mask.

It's the ones who watched it without appropriate protection who were fried Del :roll:
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 pm

fried Del sounds del-icous. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Return to The Broken Drum