The maps of A-M

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

The maps of A-M

Postby Kangxi » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I've been comparing the new map with the older version. Anyone know why the arrows pointing to Widdershins & Turnwise in the new map are opposite to those in the old one? (Or, indeed, why arrows pointing to the normal of the turning circle are used at all, since they can't indicate direction of movement.)
Kangxi

Re: The maps of A-M

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:50 pm

Hello Kangxi and welcome to the site. :)

I don't have the new map, but I seem to remember that Widdeshins is anticlockwise - at least in Discworld terms.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:41 pm

Perhaps that's the DW variety of reversed polarity - reversed spin? :lol:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Molokov » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:30 am

Tonyblack wrote:Hello Kangxi and welcome to the site. :)

I don't have the new map, but I seem to remember that Widdeshins is anticlockwise - at least in Discworld terms.

Widdershins is anti-turnwise in Roundworld terms as well :)
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:24 pm

On Roundworld widdershins is turnwise (or the opposite way to the motion of the Sun in the northern hemisphere). But it also described as anticlockwise.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby simmonds91 » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:40 pm

I always thought the disc if A-M was to the right of Leshp moved anti-clockwise, like everyday clocks. --->
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Sat Nov 17, 2012 3:37 pm

If you think of the Hub as the line of polarity of Roundworld then clock(turn)wise equates with moving west and widdershins/anti-clockwise with eastwards - this also matches the movement of the DW sun moving from rim to rim over the hub as the north/south equivalent... I think... :shifty:

The Disc is a literal 2D map with the third spatial dimension provided by the spin so turnwise is the constant for clockwise, on the planetary movement rather than the sun ;)
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Return to Latest books