Much as I love Terry & Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Much as I love Terry & Discworld...

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:06 pm

... why do I feel that all the "extra" books/maps are a cynical ploy to extract every last penny out of us?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Much as I love Terry & Discworld...

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:09 pm

I used to try to get all of these, and finally decided I only really need the books. I let go of the maps, the cookbook and some duplicate books (bought a couple of the special slipcover editions). I still have more duplicate books and the Art of Discworld book that need a good home,and I have a whole (I think) set of the diaries that I'll probably part with. They get stashed away and I'd rather they go to someone who would enjoy them.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:... why do I feel that all the "extra" books/maps are a cynical ploy to extract every last penny out of us?

I dunno. For all I know, the medical treatment and other Alzheimer's related things has taken a toll on Terry Pratchett's finances. Apparently Alan Moore needed to write a graphic novel recently because he had a big tax bill coming up. :?
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:54 pm

First off - no one is forcing anyone to buy any of these things. There is, it seems obvious, a demand for them. If there wasn't a demand then no one would make them.

I generally only buy the books, but I know that a lot of these items are very popular with people.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:16 pm

I don't think that would even make a dent in the money in his capital, and Alan Moore is way behind in the money stakes compared to Pterry.

The Map was the Discworld Emporium's effort and Ian has really laboured to get it just right, and also Bernard and Co. I think Terry's imput was minimal and apart from that his approval without which it would have been vetoed.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Molokov » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:32 am

I love all of the extra bits and pieces - books especially, because there's stuff to read. I have most of the published playscripts as well (only missing the musical version of Johnny & The Bomb), plus all diaries except the first one.

I'm sure that if I had had lots of spending money when Clarecraft were making models, I would have bought many more than I did [a few tiny pewter ones, and a Death of Rats].

In fact, the only Discworld-related stuff that hasn't interested me is the stamps... but that's because I've not really been much of a philatelist since I was about 8.
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby pip » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:58 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:... why do I feel that all the "extra" books/maps are a cynical ploy to extract every last penny out of us?

I dasagree and agree with Tony. If they didn't exist people would be screaming for them . Nothing wrong with pleasing the fans. :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:05 am

I stand corrected.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:52 am

You gave in that easy :shock: :shock: :shock:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:55 am

Just remember that without these things The Mad Collector would just be Mad. :lol:
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:58 am

You mean he'd still be Mad!

Bouncy Castle

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:25 pm

He'd be furious!
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:19 pm

pip wrote:

I dasagree and agree with Tony. If they didn't exist people would be screaming for them . Nothing wrong with pleasing the fans. :D

This might be the case, but Terry himself has commented a couple of times on how much money he makes, whilst simultaneously rubbing his hands together. At least, a couple of times at Con that I can remember. The audience seemed to appreciate it, maybe they also make obscene amounts of money and like to see it in others. I thought it was a bit odd to gleefully tell fans how much they're being taken for, but everyone has a right to spend their money as they wish. I probably won't be spending mine at con again though, I don't think I got my money's worth (Strangely Fascinating being the exception ;) )
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Sister Jennifer » Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:57 pm

You know, I'm not a big collector of objet d'art . I mainly have the paper stuff relating to DW.

There is nowhere around here that sells DW merchandice anyway. I will buy things online but, not alot. The only thing I've thought about getting is a tshirt. I'd love a Pink Pussycat Club shirt :roll: . But that's all I've done, thought about it.

Why not make money when you've got something good to sell.
Undead yes -
Unperson no!
Sister Jennifer

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:15 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:I stand corrected.

Are you sure you're not sitting when you said that Bouncy. :lol:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to Terry Pratchett