Can anyone 'splain Fifty Shades of Gray to me?

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Can anyone 'splain Fifty Shades of Gray to me?

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:42 am

Who's Wee Dug wrote:All after their 15 minutes of fame :roll:

Her fifteen minutes of fame netted the author of 50 Shades around £4million, plus it's going to be made into a movie.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:12 pm

Got your tickets booked Bouncy ;)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:33 pm

:roll:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:17 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:

Her fifteen minutes of fame netted the author of 50 Shades around £4million, plus it's going to be made into a movie.

I was talking about the fan fiction that has sprung up around it Bouncy.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:32 pm

So they might get rich too, what's wrong with that?
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:59 pm

Did not say there was anything wrong with it.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Dotsie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:02 pm

You did the rolly eye thing :P

What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:04 pm

Sheesh sufferin succocats, :roll: well they could be a little more original instead of poncing off and jumping on the bandwagon. :shifty:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:18 pm

I'm not the biggest fanfic fan, but most fanfic authors aren't doing it for fame or money. they just enjoy writing and have stories they want to share. and at most see it as practice. that article makes them out to be lowlife scum. find that kind of offensive cause its basically saying all fanworks are evil.

And I'd hardly call it plagiarism since they aren't claiming the characters and/or locations etc are their own.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby high eight » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:29 pm

raptornx01 wrote:I'm not the biggest fanfic fan, but most fanfic authors aren't doing it for fame or money. they just enjoy writing and have stories they want to share. and at most see it as practice. that article makes them out to be lowlife scum. find that kind of offensive cause its basically saying all fanworks are evil.

And I'd hardly call it plagiarism since they aren't claiming the characters and/or locations etc are their own.

It is the fan fiction writers that say: "the author of this book got it wrong: Here is what they should have written" that really annoy me.

And the characters usually aren't their own. They just recycle the author's characters. Saves having to think up their own, I suppose.
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby raptornx01 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:02 pm

high eight wrote:
It is the fan fiction writers that say: "the author of this book got it wrong: Here is what they should have written" that really annoy me.

And the characters usually aren't their own. They just recycle the author's characters.

They never claim the characters are their own (unless they are) that's the point.

Saves having to think up their own, I suppose.

kind of missing the point of fanfiction there. that's like looking at a period historical piece and going "god, these people are so lazy, why couldn't they make up their own characters instead of using real people"
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby high eight » Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:06 am

raptornx01 wrote:
high eight wrote:

And the characters usually aren't their own. They just recycle the author's characters.

They never claim the characters are their own (unless they are) that's the point.

Saves having to think up their own, I suppose.

kind of missing the point of fanfiction there. that's like looking at a period historical piece and going "god, these people are so lazy, why couldn't they make up their own characters instead of using real people"

But a good writer of historical fiction does make up their own characters. They might be based on real people but they are very rarely slavish copies.

By comparison, fanfiction writers are just saying (for example): "how about some Nelson/Hardy slash? It's canon. He did ask for a kiss....." :D
"If there is any kind of supreme being it is up to all of us to become its moral superior."
high eight

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:01 pm

Lol, not going to say there isn't alot like that. but even that is all in good fun and nothing to get riled over. some do strive for more though. something with a bit more substance. whether they achieved that is up to the reader.
raptornx01

Previous

Return to Non-Discworld books