Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

Postby Joolz » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:14 pm

Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby raisindot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:10 pm

raptornx01 wrote:And don't forget the important issue. Washington and Colorado passed measures to Legalize pot. :twisted:

I'll bet your writing this while you're STILL waiting in line to vote, eh, Raptor? :D

But as our resident Floridian, can you give us any insights from your experience? Was it true that the ballot was longer that War and Peace and that a number of couples got married and had children waiting to vote?
raisindot

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:59 pm

And Roseanne Barr came 5th.

That's too close for comfort! :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby pip » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Her wiki page says she came fifth but when i saw the news it had her sixth so i think she was a little further off thankfully :D

Obama (Democratic) 303 25+DC 60,662,601 50.40%
Romney (Republican) 206 24 57,821,399 48.01%
Johnson (Libertarian) 0 0 1,139,562 0.95%
Stein (Green) 0 0 396,684 0.33%
Goode (Constitution) 0 0 108,195 0.09%
Barr (Peace and Freedom) 0 0 49,426 0.04%
Anderson (Justice) 0 0 34,521 0.03%
Others 0 0 151,360 0.13%
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby raptornx01 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 3:31 pm

Nah, wasn't so bad. the thing about homestead exemptions was a fricking tome though. i'm like, ok, so you want that taxes on homesteads won't go up if the value of it has gone down. (homesteads being a place someone has owned and lived in for more then 25 straight years) ok fine, but you didn't need PAGES to say that.

my fav though actually a small one called religious freedom. i'm like, yeah, i believe in religious freedom. "The right to believe in whatever religion you choose, or to believe in none", sure. "And you shouldn't be denied rights based on faith or lack thereof" yeah, right on. "Ok then, then churches should be able to get funding from the government" Wait, wut?

yeah, they basically put in a thing trying to overturn separation of church and state. -_- and i was paraphrasing but they basically worded it like that.

http://www.browardsoe.org/SampleBallot. ... nctID=1866

in the end it was pretty much dems across the board that won except where one wasn't available.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Thu Nov 08, 2012 7:54 pm

Isn't it true that whole purpose of putting all those 70-page ballot questions on the Florida ballot was a Republican ploy to make voting such a time-consuming process that it would discourage minorities in urban areas (most of whom would have voted for Obama) from staying in line and thus lower turnout for him? Certainly the two ballot questions you mentioned seem to have been slipped in there by conservative interests.
raisindot

Postby raptornx01 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:27 pm

maybe. i know they got voted down anyway.
"The reason an author needs to know the rules of grammar isn't so he or she never breaks them, but so the author knows how to break them."
raptornx01

Postby jtrhoades » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:01 am

I would like to point out that a lot of people I know don't vote because they want to avoid jury duty, not out of protest for bad choices.

Yes, that's right, people care more about avoiding jury duty than choosing who the President is.
That being said, we ought to stop running jury duty based on voter registration, would be just as easy to go off of taxes, or driver's licenses.
jtrhoades

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 1:07 am

odd that, since i had got picked for jury duty before i ever registered to vote.
raptornx01

Postby Penfold » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:46 am

Maker of You Tube Clip wrote:My wife and I went to the voting booths this morning before work. There were 4 older ladies running the show and 3 voting booths that are similar to a science fair project in how they fold up. They had an oval VOTE logo on top center and a cartridge slot on the left that the volunteers used to start your ballot.

I initially selected Obama but Romney was highlighted. I assumed it was being picky so I deselected Romney and tried Obama again, this time more carefully, and still got Romney. Being a software developer, I immediately went into troubleshoot mode. I first thought the calibration was off and tried selecting Jill Stein to actually highlight Obama. Nope. Jill Stein was selected just fine. Next I deselected her and started at the top of Romney's name and started tapping very closely together to find the 'active areas'. From the top of Romney's button down to the bottom of the black checkbox beside Obama's name was all active for Romney. From the bottom of that same checkbox to the bottom of the Obama button (basically a small white sliver) is what let me choose Obama. Stein's button was fine. All other buttons worked fine.

I asked the voters on either side of me if they had any problems and they reported they did not. I then called over a volunteer to have a look at it. She him hawed for a bit then calmly said "It's nothing to worry about, everything will be OK." and went back to what she was doing. I then recorded this video.

There is a lot of speculation that the footage is edited. I'm not a video guy, but if it's possible to prove whether a video has been altered or not, I will GLADLY provide the raw footage to anyone who is willing to do so. The jumping frames are a result of the shitty camera app on my Android phone, nothing more.

I heard about this on a tv program (I think it was 'Russell Howard's Good News' (?)) but it seems to have been more widespread than just one machine. If I recall correctly, wasn't there something similar during the last elections where there was a problem with the machines casting votes in favour of the Republicans? :?
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby raptornx01 » Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:58 am

Even if true, didn't work.
raptornx01

Postby jgharston » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:50 am

raptornx01 wrote:http://www.browardsoe.org/SampleBallot.aspx?eid=136&PrecinctID=1866
'old on, you still have an election if there's only one candidate? That's a non-contested election.
jgharston

Postby raptornx01 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:39 am

they have the write in option
raptornx01

Postby raisindot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm

jtrhoades wrote:Yes, that's right, people care more about avoiding jury duty than choosing who the President is.
That being said, we ought to stop running jury duty based on voter registration, would be just as easy to go off of taxes, or driver's licenses.

This is an Ohio thing. In Massachusetts, jury duty isn't based on whether you're registered or not. I know a number of people who never registered to vote who have been picked for jury duty.
raisindot

Postby simmonds91 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:59 pm

Great, obama is president yet again :). Hopefully this time people will give the guy a CHANCE to better america instead of complaining when he doesn't mend years and years and years of damage all in one go. A mere 4 years and people expect him to change things just like that? even with near half the country who don't stand for the same things as one another? HA!!!!!
Well, you know what they say. The past is a foreign country - - With an outdated military and huge oil reserves!
simmonds91

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum