red dwarf x

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: red dwarf x

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 am

I watched a couple of eppys yesterday, and they're not bad. Better than Back to Earth, but then again, Back to Earth was ten times better than most of the stuff they dish us up today.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:06 am

Which isn't saying much. It's like saying that Kingswood Country is the best Aussie comedy show of all time. But then again, its only serious competition, IMO, is Kath & Kim and Double the Fist. :roll:
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:45 am

Since I've only ever heard of K&K, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

:lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:06 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Since I've only ever heard of K&K, that doesn't mean a lot to me.

:lol:

Well, I heard that Kingswood Country was very much like Till Death Us Do Part, with Ted Bullpitt being an Aussie Alf Garnett (you know the type, a blustering right wing bigot). BTW, dunno whether you have ads for Mortein in the UK, Bouncy, but the guy who plays Bullpitt also does the voice for Louie the Fly.

Double the Fist, well, it can best be described as the basic concept of Jackass (you know, idiots doing idiotic stunts) and taking it to ridiculous (and fictional) levels. The first episode has to have them jumping off a cliff and surviving without the help of ropes. One tries to long jump into the ocean to avoid the rocks, another uses a batman style outfit to glide, and another uses a ridiculous amount of bubble-wrap to shield his body. Surprisingly, it's the last one who survives. Yes, the contestants die (sometimes more than once per episode). So you see that it is a ridiculously macho comedy, rather than a real-life stunt series, though there are one or two real life segments, like daring people to drink bin juice. I kid ye not. :|
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Boss in office so can't watch YouTubettes today.

That programme sounds like one I'd avoid like the plague.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:09 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Boss in office so can't watch YouTubettes today.

That programme sounds like one I'd avoid like the plague.

Which one? Kingswood Country or Double the Fist?

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Fist.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:00 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Fist.

The saddest thing is, it's also one of the more funny thngs on Aussie TV. The first series was (mostly) funny, but the second series, not so much. Hell, it beat Kath & Kim once at an awards ceremony, much to many critics' disgust. :lol:

I think that there's some more intellectual comedies out there, but I read the scripts for Frontline, and they weren't my thing. Fast Forward is okay, but variable. The Chaser's War On Everything is a crock of mean-spirited sh**. The Librarians was cringe-inducing. To be perfectly honest, I prefer British comedy, and even that hasn't had anything good come out of late.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Molokov » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:56 am

Quatermass wrote:I'm just hoping Red Dwarf X is an improvement. Anyone want to reassure me that Red Dwarf X is a return to form?

YES, It definitely is. So much of what I've seen of RDX so far is incredibly funny - it harkens back to some of the early series in terms of humour. [Don't worry too much about the plot, though, it's not like they ever really did in RD]
Nullus Anxietas V - The Australian Discworld Convention
10-12 April 2015
Novotel Parramatta, New South Wales, Australia
http://ausdwcon.org
Molokov

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:14 am

Molokov wrote:
Quatermass wrote:I'm just hoping Red Dwarf X is an improvement. Anyone want to reassure me that Red Dwarf X is a return to form?

YES, It definitely is. So much of what I've seen of RDX so far is incredibly funny - it harkens back to some of the early series in terms of humour. [Don't worry too much about the plot, though, it's not like they ever really did in RD]

I'm not worried about plot as much as, if they're going to have one, then they should make it half-decent. I mean, I've looked at the ones for Red Dwarf X. Lemons might be a look-in, if only for its central conceit, and I'm hoping that Trojan and Fathers and Suns are good too.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:17 pm

Okay, just watched Trojan. I have to admit, it was better, or at least funnier, than Back to Earth. Best bits? The resentment crashes and the phone line subplot. It was also nice to see that Rimmer wasn't the only failure of his family. A pity they look so old now, though... :|

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:32 pm

Not much can be done about that, I'm afraid.

Lister and Cat would age, so that's OK, but Rimmer and Kryten wouldn't.

Mind you, Danny John Jules looks just the same, as far as I can tell.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:14 pm

Rimmer can age, depending. Remember Out of Time. But then again, he spent over five centuries stranded on another planet in Rimmerworld. Chalk it down to computer corruption. And for Kryten, wear and tear around his eye sockets.

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:03 pm

But Krytie has several heads, doesn't he? He can rotate their usage!!

Bouncy Castle

Postby MongoGutman » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:13 am

Like everyone else I find X far better than Back to Earth, more like regular season 6,7... but... to be honest I find it a bit stale, past its sell by date
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre