Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Barack Obama 44th US President - Yes We Can!

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:27 am

Lemme ask you this, Dotsie: would it have been any worse than under Dubya?

Even so, seeing this re-election result has restored a tiny sliver of my faith in humanity, whose condition has been upgraded from 'terminal' to 'critical'.

And Del? Voting isn't compulsory for the Poms either.

You may now start screaming.
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Del » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:50 am

Yeah... I know Q.

It just seems wrong NOT to vote when some people in this world put their lives on the line to have the right to vote and to exercise that right.... and particularly the American government who wages war on foreign soil amid cries of "These people DESERVE the right to democracy and the freedom to vote in their governments!" :roll:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:59 am

I know. But I don't know whether voting being made compulsory or not will affect the quality of the top people, especially those with their fingers on the nuclear button.

I think part of the problem is choice. Seriously, it's an [EFF!]ing two horse race in the USA. Okay, so it is in Australia too, but we still have variety, and parties other than the Coalition and Labour can get seats in Parliament. In America? No such [EFF!]ing chance. Might as well flip an [EFF!]ing coin.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:04 am

I agree Del, too many people gave their lives or freedom in order for people like me to vote. I do sometimes wonder whether voting should be made compulsory over here and definitely feel that you shouldn't have any right to criticize the government, be it national or local, if you haven't voted.

Plato wrote:One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Congratulations Barak! :D (I still find it hard to believe that he got criticised for leaving the campaign trail in order to concentrate on the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. :? )
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:12 am

Penfold wrote:I agree Del, too many people gave their lives or freedom in order for people like me to vote. I do sometimes wonder whether voting should be made compulsory over here and definitely feel that you shouldn't have any right to criticize the government, be it national or local, if you haven't voted.

Plato wrote:One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.

Congratulations Barak! :D (I still find it hard to believe that he got criticised for leaving the campaign trail in order to concentrate on the aftermath of Hurricane Sandy. :? )

But refusing to vote can be a means of participating in politics, albeit as a means of expressing your contempt for the system.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Penfold » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:41 am

I have been a counting officer at local elections when I was involved in politics during my youth so I can remember a little of this. Refusing to vote over here only indicates apathy as there is no record of your refusal/protest but spoiling the ballot paper itself in this country can be construed as a protest vote (I have done this myself when I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the candidates or party). Spoilt papers are included in the voting figures. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:56 am

Penfold wrote:I have been a counting officer at local elections when I was involved in politics during my youth so I can remember a little of this. Refusing to vote over here only indicates apathy as there is no record of your refusal/protest but spoiling the ballot paper itself in this country can be construed as a protest vote (I have done this myself when I couldn't bring myself to vote for any of the candidates or party). Spoilt papers are included in the voting figures. :D

I can only bring myself not to do so in order to make sure that the wrong party doesn't get into power. Unfortunately, my vote means sweet [EFF!] all.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am

Del wrote:Yeah... I know Q.

It just seems wrong NOT to vote when some people in this world put their lives on the line to have the right to vote and to exercise that right.... and particularly the American government who wages war on foreign soil amid cries of "These people DESERVE the right to democracy and the freedom to vote in their governments!" :roll:

Del , you are forgetting that in fighting to vote you are fighting for choice and that includes the right to choose not to vote. In a two horse race the only form of protest can be not to vote.
In ireland we had the same referendum voted on three times for some EU change and basically it would keep coming back until we gave the right answer . In this case a lot of people didn't vote resulting in the lowest turnout in the states History and discrediting the outcome in a huge way.
There is something a bit medievil about forcing people to vote in my opinion as it removes part of what people fought and died for.
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:45 am

And yay Obama. the world is safe for a little longer :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:09 am

pip wrote:And yay Obama. the world is safe for a little longer :D

You mean, we've delayed the point beyond which we're [EFF]ed.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:59 am

Quatermass wrote:

Pretty much.
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:40 pm

pip wrote:
Quatermass wrote:

Pretty much.

And night will fall but the sun also rises :roll: Life goes on in spite of politics, war and famine and indeed, economic catastrophes - even if it's only cockroaches and vultures. Oh - hang on a minute they can be Republican and Democrats, Labour and Conservative, Social Democrats and the *insert name of country here* National Party :evil:

V. glad Obama's won his second term - sometimes the system works. Just. :clap:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Catch-up » Wed Nov 07, 2012 12:52 pm

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Once again we dodged a bullet! :clap:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Jan Van Quirm wrote:Life goes on in spite of politics, war and famine and indeed, economic catastrophes - even if it's only cockroaches and vultures. Oh - hang on a minute they can be Republican and Democrats, Labour and Conservative, Social Democrats and the *insert name of country here* National Party :evil:

So true.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Batty » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm

Barack gave a really good acceptance speech. :clap: I'm glad he won. Now - at least - we can breathe a sigh of relief that no laws will be passed to force planes to fit windows that can be opened!! :lol:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum