File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Dotsie wrote:

And in keeping with my reputation for being a cynic, that thing was a man in dark clothes taking a "comfort break" :P

That was my thought! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Catch-up » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:51 pm

:lol: I did not think of that! Now I'll have to watch it again.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:
Quatermass wrote:More pointless Aussie political crap...

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/11/05/Treasury_used_as_political_tool_-_Oppn_813170.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1-3_TreasuryusedaspoliticaltoolOppn_RSS_051112

The thing that makes me speechless, the thing that gets my goat, is that the very things the Opposition are whinging and bitching about are the very things they would do in office. :x

Welcome to politics.

The sad thing is, I sort of realised this some time ago. Voting's more about the lesser of two evils. :|
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Del » Mon Nov 05, 2012 5:46 pm

I dread to look in this thread sometimes.

On a more local note:

News has come out that the three aged care nursing homes that Campbell Newman (our glorious Premier) closed down a few weeks ago.... may be sold off to be DEVELOPED! Suprise suprise! :roll:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:42 pm

Tonyblack wrote:
Dotsie wrote:

And in keeping with my reputation for being a cynic, that thing was a man in dark clothes taking a "comfort break" :P

That was my thought! :lol:

Definitely a bloke in a big 'puffa'-style anorak doing what bears of any shade do in the woods - see this vid :lol:

"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Quatermass » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:40 pm

Del wrote:I dread to look in this thread sometimes.

On a more local note:

News has come out that the three aged care nursing homes that Campbell Newman (our glorious Premier) closed down a few weeks ago.... may be sold off to be DEVELOPED! Suprise suprise! :roll:

Frigging Campbell Newman. The problem is, the majority of people voted in that maggot and his party. (Nice to see you're still around as well, Del :) )

Anyway...

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/TopStories/2012/11/06/Sam_Worthington_arrested_in_US_813330.html?cid=ZBP_NEWS_L_L1_Sam_Worthington_arrested_in_US_061112

Ugh...
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:30 am

Paramedic Jeff Gaglio responded to a house fire in Detroit.

An elderly victim was brought out of the house wearing only his underwear, so Gaglio gave him a blanket. Two weeks later the paramedic was brought up on charges "for failing to follow department policy related to inventory accounting for an ambulance," said Detroit Fire Commissioner Don Austin.

Um, what?

EMS chief Jerald James explained medics need "prior approval" before "giving away" department property. Where did the blanket come from? It was one of many donated to the department by Firefighters Support Services, a charity to help the victims of fires.

After a huge outcry when the story went public -- and hundreds of blankets were donated to the city's ambulance service from all over the country -- the fire department announced that Gaglio would not, after all, be suspended.

:doh:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:32 am

:doh: :doh: :doh:

Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:50 am

We're sorry, but there's no BigPond News page that matches your request. You may find what you're looking for from one of the links below.

Looks like the charges were dropped.

http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Enterta ... 13356.html
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

That firefighter story is completely insane, but so totally Detroit. :roll:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:48 pm

And talking of Detroit...........

Idiots For Lawyers

No. 1

When Brian Hardman, 22, allegedly tried to carjack an older man in Detroit, Mich., he picked the wrong target: Leonard Turner, 47, is a retired middleweight boxer. Turner had pulled into a gas station to put air in a tire. "I was squatting near the tire and he comes up and says, 'I ain't trying to rob you -- but give me what you got, and tell that [expletive] to get out of the car," Turner testified in Hardman's preliminary hearing.

The robber had a gun, so "I grabbed his arm and threw him to the ground," Turner said. The man's finger was on the trigger, so he aimed the gun safely and forced him to pull it. "After I shot the gun off until it was empty, I grabbed it from him," Turner continued. "He got up and said, 'Give me my gun back; I got a [permit].'"

Turner wouldn't have any of that: "I hit him with the gun," he said. And with that, Hardman's attorney Jonathan Jones made his move: the charge for his client should certainly not be carjacking, he told the judge, because Hartman didn't have a gun during the entire crime.

"The reason he didn't have the gun on him," Judge Shannon A. Holmes replied, "is because the defendant got his butt whipped, and Mr. Turner took the gun from him." He ordered Hardman to stand trial for carjacking, armed robbery, and assault.

No. 2

Samuel Cutrufelli, 31, broke into a home in Greenbrae, Calif., and tied up the resident, Jay Leone, 90. Leone escaped and grabbed a gun, but Cutrufelli opened fire first, shooting the elderly man in the face.

Leone returned fire, hitting the burglar several times. Cutrufelli got Leone's gun away, put it to the man's head, and pulled the trigger -- but it had run out of bullets.

Both men survived ...and Cutrufelli has sued Leone, calling him a vigilante. The suit says the victim "negligently shot" the burglar, which caused "great bodily injury, and other financial damage, including loss of Mr. Cutrufelli's home, and also the dissolution of Mr. Cutrufelli's marriage."

Cutrufelli's attorney, Sanford Troy, defended the tactic, saying it's "definitely a six-figure case. It may be a seven-figure case," speculating on the possible winnings for the burglar.

As far as the criminal case, "We, in the defense, have to prove zip," Troy told the jury. "El Zippo, as they say in Spanish." Later, he noted that "This case stinks like fish that hasn't been in the refrigerator for a week."

After just a few hours of deliberation, the jury convicted Cutrufelli of all charges, and he faces life in prison.

:doh: :doh:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:13 pm

When the Iowa State Patrol pulled over a car for driving 92 mph, the driver identified herself as Shelia Davis; her driver's license matched that name.

Later, when police determined the car was stolen, they arrested Davis, a mentally challenged woman from Davenport, Iowa, who had since moved to Kansas City.

Police quickly learned they had the wrong person, and tracked down Paul Cannon, 44, also from Davenport. He had known Davis and used her birthday and Social Security information to open a bank account, get a driver's license, and hold two jobs in her name -- all while dressed as a woman.

Cannon pleaded guilty to several counts of fraud, theft, identity theft, forgery and malicious prosecution, and was sentenced to 10 years in prison. "I'd like to apologize to the court, society," Cannon said. "I'm willing to accept my punishment."

:shock:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:47 pm

TMZ

Who knew ... Sam Worthington is a method actor ... because right after he was pepper sprayed in Atlanta this weekend, he claimed he was a DEA agent and threatened the bouncer who maced him -- so claims the very pissed off bouncer.

The bouncer -- Jerry Link -- tells TMZ, he maced Worthington when the actor went belligerent outside the bar ... and Worthington screamed, "I'm a DEA agent! You f**ked up now!"

FYI -- Worthington is playing a DEA agent in the movie he's currently filming in the ATL.

Link tells us, Worthington rolled up to Vortex Bar and Grill in Atlanta, wearing a dirty hoodie and carrying a bunch of clothes ... and everyone thought he was a homeless person. Link says he refused to let Worthington inside because he was too drunk.

TMZ broke the story ... Worthington was arrested for disorderly conduct after allegedly pushing Link in retaliation.

The charges were dismissed this morning because Link was a no-show in court. Link is calling BS ... because no one asked him to be there.

And this is funny ... Link (clearly not a movie person) tells us, he had no clue Worthington was famous until today -- "I've never seen 'Avatar' or 'Terminator."

You're not missing much.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:00 pm

Jeez. People are crazy.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:35 pm

A man who confessed to a murder on his deathbed has survived and will now serve a life prison sentence.

James Washington from Nashville, thinking he was going to die as he was suffering a heart attack, was clearing his conscience.

He confessed to killing Joyce Goodener in July 1995, reports WSMV.

However, Washington - who was already in prison for a different crime - survived the scare and has since been found guilty of the murder.

Prison guard James Tomlinson recalled to the jury: "He kind of got as best as he could, motioned and said, 'I have something to tell you. I have to get something off my conscience and you need to hear this'.

"He said, 'I killed somebody. I beat her to death'."

Washington had tried to retract his statement in court before the verdict was delivered.

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum