What Are You Reading 2

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: What Are You Reading 2

Postby Catch-up » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:37 pm

Still haven't picked The Woman Who Died A Lot back up. Instead I've started The Devil in Silver by Victor Lavalle. Really good so far!
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:25 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Ahh.

Doesn't it get a tad heavy, carrying all these books over to the US?

Yes, but these days I have so much stuff already over there that I don't need to take much in the way of clothes. And even if I have to pay for an excess bag, it's still cheaper than posting it all. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Selkie » Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:00 pm

Finished Rivers of London and now back to Game of Thrones.
Selkie

Postby spideyGirl » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:48 pm

What's Rivers of London Selkie? :think:
spideyGirl

Postby chris.ph » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:58 am

its a book :whistle: :whistle:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:00 am

its in a series by an author called ben aabromovitch.magical detective sort of thing and the three of them are v good spidey :D
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby spideyGirl » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:54 am

:roll: :D

I'm reading The House of Silk at moment (a Sherlock Holmes story by Anthony Horowitz), not normally into detective novels (although watched all the films when I was a kid) but really enjoying it :D

EDIT: the weird thing is I keep visualising Watson as Jude Law and Holmes as Benedict Cumberbatch :think:
spideyGirl

Postby Quatermass » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:32 am

chris.ph wrote:its in a series by an author called ben aabromovitch.magical detective sort of thing and the three of them are v good spidey :D

And just to clarify, Ben Aaronovitch is also a noted writer for Doctor Who. He wrote the acclaimed Remembrance of the Daleks, as well as the less-acclaimed but still interesting Battlefield. He also wrote several books for the New Adventures: Transit, The Also People, and So Vile a Sin (the latter with Kate Orman).

Yo, Chris.Ph, I've asked you before, but you've never answered, would I like the Rivers of London series? I mean, having read two of his Doctor Who books, I find his output a little variable, so would I like it?
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Selkie » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:04 am

*I* really enjoyed it. It's certainly better, in my opinion, than the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher which I just couldn't get in to. It's contemporary, yet has echos of tradition and the past. Would you enjoy it? I have no idea :)
Selkie

Postby Quatermass » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:11 am

Selkie wrote:*I* really enjoyed it. It's certainly better, in my opinion, than the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher which I just couldn't get in to. It's contemporary, yet has echos of tradition and the past. Would you enjoy it? I have no idea :)

Well, I've never really gotten into occult detective stuff. Oh well...
All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:23 am

Quatermass wrote:
chris.ph wrote:its in a series by an author called ben aabromovitch.magical detective sort of thing and the three of them are v good spidey :D

And just to clarify, Ben Aaronovitch is also a noted writer for Doctor Who. He wrote the acclaimed Remembrance of the Daleks, as well as the less-acclaimed but still interesting Battlefield. He also wrote several books for the New Adventures: Transit, The Also People, and So Vile a Sin (the latter with Kate Orman).

Yo, Chris.Ph, I've asked you before, but you've never answered, would I like the Rivers of London series? I mean, having read two of his Doctor Who books, I find his output a little variable, so would I like it?

I think the Author prefers it anyway . The Doctor Who stuff paid peanuts and he worked in Waterstones to get by . The Peter Grant books are a lot better than his Doctor Who stuff by all acounts :D
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I am a big fan of the Dresden series, maybe I should download one for my Kindle to try him out, he went down well at Fantasycon this year.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Sjoerd3000 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:50 pm

Started with Johnny and the Bomb :D
On lofty Beysitoun the lingering sun looks down on ceaseless labors, long begun.
Sjoerd3000

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 pm

Not a bad little book that one. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:47 am

I like the Dresden books, and I like the Aaronovitch books too. They're very clever, and it helps if you know the layout of London.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to Non-Discworld books