Reading Inspired by Discworld References

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Reading Inspired by Discworld References

Postby FredK » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:13 pm

Admittedly I am a geek and prone to tracing sources backwards, but I wonder if others of you have ever been inspired to trace books referenced by Sir Terry in Discworld works.

I came to Discworld through another of my favorite authors, Harlan Ellison. I had seen the Pratchett books in lines at Barnes and Noble for years but as I'm averse to the pablum which normally passes for Science Fiction/Fantasy at the big chains ("The Constipation of the Unicorn, Book 7 of the Gormless Saga" anyone?), I passed them by many times...until I finally cracked a cover. There was the blurb by Mr. Ellison and I had to plunge. Thank god.

So, when Sir Terry mentions books now I pay attention.

After "I Shall Wear Midnight" I tracked down a copy of "The Leaping Hare." I won't say it's the best thing I ever read, but it was a compelling and interesting read: one of those things that fills in the crooked corners of your experience with interesting details.

Now after "Dodger" I am absolutely JONESING for the 4-volume Mayhew work: "London Labour and the London Poor." I've seen a few digest versions but I'd love to have the full set.

Anyone else ever get inspired by Pratchett this way? What have YOU read? And have you seen a nice copy of the Mayhew set you can steer me towards ;) .
Quia Ego Sic Dico
FredK

Re: Reading Inspired by Discworld References

Postby =Tamar » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:43 pm

Not so much from the novels, but I found and read a copy of the G.K.Chesterton book Sir Terry mentions in his interviews, The Napoleon of Notting Hill (I think). I was less impressed by it than he is but it was interesting to get a different perspective on his reading choices.
=Tamar

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:48 pm

=Tamar wrote:Not so much from the novels, but I found and read a copy of the G.K.Chesterton book Sir Terry mentions in his interviews, The Napoleon of Notting Hill (I think). I was less impressed by it than he is but it was interesting to get a different perspective on his reading choices.

If you have one of those Kindle machines, you can download that book for free from Project Gutenburg. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Anyone interested in the writing of Henry Mayhew (as in Dodger) who happens to be in Manchester at the end of the month, you might find this event of interest. :)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby AgProv » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Again, to blow an L-Space Wiki trumpet: over the years we have compiled an impressive list of novels evocative of Pratchett, influenced by Pratchett or possibly influential on him, referenced by Pratchett, or in the same fantasy/scifi/absurdist humour vein.

Fancy a browse?

http://wiki.lspace.org/mediawiki/index. ... uggestions

"There's a life beyond Pratchett, and after triple-reading every book and map this is where you start that life"
Used to be too clever by half, but by virtue of consistent drinking, now only too clever by about a quarter. Banned from all BBC messageboards for being too much of an "uncceptable editorial risk".
AgProv

Postby Dotsie » Thu Jan 10, 2013 8:04 am

I daren't look! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Return to Discworld novels