How crafty are we?

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:16 pm

just had a nose at the site jamara and i liked the celtic pendant . i wanted to get her the witch pendant but she hit me.she couldnt work out the thors hammer pendants until i explained what mjolliner was(sorry about spelling as normal)
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby chris.ph » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:24 pm

sorry jarmara spelled your name wrong :oops:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby Jarmara » Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:25 pm

Cheers guys :D

Indeed Chris, Hogfather is coming :wink:

Oh don't worry about the spelling, people do that all the time
Contains Strong Language, Fantasy Violence and Mild Peril

Image The Sunshine Sanctuary says - Click to keep the dragon alive!
Jarmara

Re: How crafty are we?

Postby barrie » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:57 pm

Jarmara wrote:I do silversmithing in my spare time, making stuff like this -
Let me know what you think of my stuff if you like, but what do you guys make?

Nice ring and I like the raw natural state of some of your jewellery.
And there is nothing wrong with shamlessly plugging your talents.

I dont have any talents at all :shock: No nothing at all, I'm serious...

Oh one small thing, Silver smithing is making cutlery and plates and bowls and stuff. You are a Jobbing Jeweller, Note the capital 'J' its important, I should know I've been one for the last 30 years. Its a small point but the humble Jobber has been around a couple of thousand years longer than the silver smith....

I do have one small talent. :oops: I'm the worlds only licensed Discworld Jeweller. Nothing SPECIAL eh :wink: :wink: :wink: Jason our wonderful Moderator named me special :lol:
barrie

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:00 pm

:lol: You should blush saying you don't have any talents! :lol:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jason » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:04 pm

Ah, Barrie, but you really are special.
TCOM-12 - Ludeum in tympanus
Editor Discworld Monthly
Jason

Postby Quilpusha » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:47 pm

Jason wrote:Ah, Barrie, but you really are special.

. . . Jason, STOP IT.
You know what happens to Barrie when he thinks that we think he is special. :wink: :lol:
"If a little knowledge is dangerous, where is the man who has so much as to be out of danger?"
(T.H.Huxley - 1877)
Quilpusha

Postby saphyress » Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:20 am

Ooooh Jarmara I love the ring you put in the post! I love fun twisty jewelry like that, great job!
saphyress

Postby Catch-up » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:29 am

Beautiful ring Jamara! My sister would love it. And love your drawings Sharlene!
Catch-up

Postby angiel » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:01 pm

loving your silver pendants Jarmara, I may have to forward it to my husband and drop subtle himts like " THATS THE ONE I WANT. BUY IT FOR ME" D'ye think that subtle enough?

I myself have the manual dexterity of a Camel but i do have some great ideas.
F'rinstance last night I dreamt of Manda ... sorry thats wrong.
Last night I had a weird dream, it involved Guest houses and tiny cats and smelly public conveniences.BUT in the dream someone had a discworld bag. An embroidered green and yellow Great A'Tuin swimming through the cosmos (or black canvas) with black sequins for eyes. 4 bluey grey elephants stood on his back (must have been special sparkly thread) supporting the disc which was sewn in a swirl of bright jewel like colours with Cori Celesti standing out in rhinestones. I begged the girl to buy this bag but she wouldn't sell it to me, even though she didnt want it and had never heard of Discworld. I think this was my subconcious telling me I would never have this bag nor the skill or knowledge to make it :-(
If only I had learnt to be a seamstress (hem hem) or rather a needleworker. Nevermind, maybe I will dream about learning to sew tonight. Don't mock, I once had a dream I could knit. I woke up air knitting with my fingers, demanded Knitting needles and wool and found... I still couldn't knit, lol.
angiel

Postby Tonyblack » Sun Oct 12, 2008 1:30 pm

:lol: Sounds like the sort of dreams I have!

I have a bag that I take with me on trips to the US with a Guild of Assassins badge sewn on it. It gets me some odd looks. But my Wadfest t-shirt with Death on was much admired by some Mexicans in Tucson around Halloween. They go in for skeletons in a big way at that time of year.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Jarmara » Sun Oct 12, 2008 4:27 pm

angiel wrote:loving your silver pendants Jarmara, I may have to forward it to my husband and drop subtle himts like " THATS THE ONE I WANT. BUY IT FOR ME" D'ye think that subtle enough?

Certainly worth a try :D

angiel wrote:I myself have the manual dexterity of a Camel but i do have some great ideas.
F'rinstance last night I dreamt of Manda ... sorry thats wrong.
Last night I had a weird dream, it involved Guest houses and tiny cats and smelly public conveniences.BUT in the dream someone had a discworld bag. An embroidered green and yellow Great A'Tuin swimming through the cosmos (or black canvas) with black sequins for eyes. 4 bluey grey elephants stood on his back (must have been special sparkly thread) supporting the disc which was sewn in a swirl of bright jewel like colours with Cori Celesti standing out in rhinestones. I begged the girl to buy this bag but she wouldn't sell it to me, even though she didnt want it and had never heard of Discworld. I think this was my subconcious telling me I would never have this bag nor the skill or knowledge to make it :-(
If only I had learnt to be a seamstress (hem hem) or rather a needleworker. Nevermind, maybe I will dream about learning to sew tonight. Don't mock, I once had a dream I could knit. I woke up air knitting with my fingers, demanded Knitting needles and wool and found... I still couldn't knit, lol.

That's probably do-able, embroidery is simple enough to take up, I'm working on my first peice at the moment, it's going to be a cushion cover when it's eventually done.
You could use the A'Tuin on this site as a start, print it out and use a lightbox to trace the design onto canvas and get cracking. I might do it myself one day actually - it sounds good!

Jarmara

Postby angiel » Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:28 pm

using a light box is a really good idea. my daughter has one of those disney art projector things maybe i could stencil it first, or perhaps use those fabric pen thingies. oooh the possibilities.
i have seen the assassins guild, AMPO and watch canvas bags, but this bag (the one in my dream) was Discworldly AND girly all at the same time. yes i am a girl and i like sparkly stuff.. i cant help it :oops: (waily waily )

10 mins later >

ok been onto a couple of crafty websites and apparently there is some image maker gluey stuff that you slap on to an image then transfer it on to fabric. i might go get me some of that with some 3d glitter/pearl fabric paint to highlight the key areas in sparkly sparkliness. it'd do the job until i learn various needlecraft techniques, like how to thread a needle and how to sew a stitch so that it doesn't unravel immediately. I kid you not I have bought my son new school trousers purely beacuse i couldn't sew the hem back up! :roll:
angiel

Postby Jarmara » Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:22 pm

Good stuff!

Post piccies when it's done!

Jarmara

Postby angiel » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:12 pm

well you'd think a large branch of a certain fabric/haberdashery franchise would stock the image pasty glue stuff, but alas... woe is me and my bag. they don't stock it and don't know anyone who does. so my only hope is the good old yella pages! i am going on a mission next week to find the stuff i need so i will keep you updated with any progress and if, by chance I do manage to make the blasted thing i will certainly attempt to post some pics. but only if it looks ok. otherwise the cat can sleep in it (she likes bags)
angiel

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum