Halloween Kids alone

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Halloween Kids alone

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:52 pm

:lol:

Well anyone who comes to my house will get sweets, even if it's a teenager who hasn't made an effort. Everyone deserves sweets at Halloween! Maybe they'll go away wanting to be useful members of society.

I'm hanging a severed arm on the hanging basket hook by my front door, and putting a tombstone and a skull in my window. But if there are too many teenagers, there might end up more than one severed arm :twisted:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Will of Lancre » Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm

Here in Luxembourg we have a whole different lot of children's door-to-door begging traditions (some of which have been adopted by adult clubs for fund-raising).

They start on 2 February (Candlemas), which is still always just for the kids, followed by Shrove Tuesday, then the first Sunday in Lent (Buergsonndeg, with a bonfire a bit like Guy Fawkes Day), and finally the three days from Maundy Thursday to just before Easter. This period covers the "hungry gap" in the old (pre-industrial) agricultural year when winter stores were running low. The songs that go with these event often ask for bacon and beans, but the punters are now expected to give (a) sweets or (b) money. ;)

The imagery of Hallowe'en is here too, just like it is everywhere, but I have not seen anyone trick or treating, at least not out here in the country.

At Candlemas the older (11+) kids used to make it a point of honour to be in charge of the smaller ones and not have any adults with them. However, nowadays, even really tiny kids go, so there are some Mums who tag along. I never had any worries about our kids - only about the grumbly Mums (there was always one) who insisted that their kid hadn't been fairly treated in the divvying-up of the spoils. :roll:
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:35 pm

In Scotland we call it Guising. :)
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Joolz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:50 pm

I always open the door...
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

Postby Penfold » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Aaaarrrrgggghhh!

We just had our first few trickle treaters :D I gave the first little girl (witch mask with dangling bogey) two lollies and a packet of fizzers, & Mr Dotsie accused me of being a meany and let the next ones (6 witch princesses :roll: ) grab their own - the little buggers cleaned us out! :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 pm

We've had our first, and I hope only, buzzer.

Luckily, Phil upstairs leaned out of the window and very politely told them that we "don't do" T or T.

I'm sitting here with the dullest of lights on!!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:02 pm

Well I just had a very scary lion, about five years old, who roared on request and got his dad to carry his sweets for him. Soooo cute! :D
Dotsie

Postby pip » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:07 pm

Well Harry had great fun as a Pumkin. he trick or treated to his Nannys and to his aunties. then we headed home and he had fun looking at the kids knocking. we've a young estate and its seperated from the town so we knew all the kids . i'll post pix in the morning
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:59 pm

pip wrote:Well Harry had great fun as a Pumkin. he trick or treated to his Nannys and to his aunties. then we headed home and he had fun looking at the kids knocking. we've a young estate and its seperated from the town so we knew all the kids . i'll post pix in the morning

Presumably you'll put all the sweets he got tonight aside for him until he gets some teeth. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby The Mad Collector » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:53 am

I suspect mummy and daddy might just have helped him eat them last night Tony :)
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Bickaxe » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:10 am

1 witch turned up last night, said trick or treat very quietly so I went to get the tin of sweets. When I got back, another 5 of her friends had turned up so I said help yourself. I got called awesome (which I knew already) but felt like i'd been mugged...

Had liquidised brains and eyeballs for dessert last night (aka strawberry angel delight with a touch of blue food colouring and lychees with strawberry sauce)
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
Bickaxe

Postby Catch-up » Thu Nov 01, 2012 10:23 am

Nice make-up Joolz! :D
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Will of Lancre » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Oh dear, it seems if I was too optimistic about Hallowe'en in Luxembourg:

http://news.rtl.lu/news/national/339437.html

Highlights include: Eggs were thrown at house fronts and windows in Schifflange, Hautcharage, Lamadeleine, Dudelange, Mondorf, Bettembourg and Luxembourg City, a bin was set on fire in Bettembourg, and in Echternach 2 cars were smeared with ketchup. :roll:
A hoho, which is like a haha only deeper
Will of Lancre

Postby Joolz » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:31 pm

Catch-up wrote:Nice make-up Joolz! :D

Make up?....What make up? ;)
Tune the world out, turn the radio up
Sing along to my freedom song
Joolz

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum