Hurricane Sandy - Good Luck Eastern Seaboard

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Hurricane Sandy - Good Luck Eastern Seaboard

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:10 pm

A large tanker ship has been washed on to a street in Staten Island, New York

:shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:51 pm

At least five people killed by the storm in New York state, including a 30-year-old man crushed by a falling tree in the New York City borough of Queens.

Three killed in New Jersey, including two parents killed by a falling tree when they got out of their car; their children, 11 and 14, who remained inside, survived.

A woman in West Virginia who died in a collision in heavy snow caused by the storm.

Oh, those poor kids.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby phalarope » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:56 pm

All good vibes greatly appreciated!

It's pretty much over here in Maryland. This house is safe, though without power for 26 hours. Falling pine trees and overhead power lines do not mix well. Satellite dishes need power to connect to the interweb. Temperature dropped inside to 56 F. Practiced my cooking skills over a hurricane lamp :lol: and curled up with the cat under lots of blankets.

Other house is different story. Lost 60+ foot pecan tree in front yard, thankfully fell away from the house. Entire property flooded (11 acres); all Mate can see surrounding the house is water, the tops of shrubs, and woods across the road and surrounding marsh. Most of the marsh is underwater, too. Last night water reached within 8 inches of the first floor. Garage had 6 inches of water inside (not enough to damage tractor or SUV, yay). High tide was 2 hours ago, but the wind is still driving water ashore down there, so not out of the woods yet. No power of course, no phone, and iffy cell reception. Surrounding roads all underwater, and most county roads still closed.

Main thing, though, is we are both safe. My heart goes out to all who lost lives in this! And hang on for those still in its path!
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:38 pm

Wow.

Thank god you and your family are OK.

I can see this being a long haul for the rescue services.

Love and hugs to all in your area, and especially to Firemen! ;)

:mrgreen:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:49 pm

What Bouncy said! :flags-usa: :romance-grouphug:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:25 pm

Good to hear from you Carol! So glad you and your mate are ok. I've been thinking about you both all day. Hope the flooding doesn't cause too much trouble at the other house.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:40 am

Glad you are all OK. Image
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:28 am

Me too! Stay safe.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 am

Stay safe guys, I know what your going through, I was at sea once whilst in the Royal Navy and we were on the tail end of a Hurricane and that was scarey stuff, waves taller than the ship, Had to change my underpants after that i can tell you. Like every one says hucker down and god willing you will be ok :D
Alanz

Postby Toothy » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 am

Been tracking this via FB, too, as I've got family and friends affected and was hoping to hear from or about them on there (hubby's sister and her other half are right in it as they were visiting on holiday). I can only imagine how frightening it must be for those in its path, and especially at sea :o. It's so good to hear that our boardies are OK and may it remain that way! So sad to hear of the loss of life elsewhere. Stay safe everyone!

A 30 mile drive to get to a meeting in conditions like those?! :shock: I can't believe that wasn't cancelled for everyone's safety! :shock:
If all is not lost, then where is it?
Toothy

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:59 am

Alanz wrote:Stay safe guys, I know what your going through, I was at sea once whilst in the Royal Navy and we were on the tail end of a Hurricane and that was scarey stuff, waves taller than the ship, Had to change my underpants after that i can tell you. Like every one says hucker down and god willing you will be ok :D

Scary! :shock:
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:27 pm

And the clouds lifted....

For once, MA didn't take the brunt of the storm, although the coastline was hardest hit. The damage wasn't as nearly severe up here as during Hurricane Irene, but there are still thousands without power. We lost ours for about 6 hours; ours was fixed, but large parts of the city I live in are still without power, and many surrounding communities are still out. Lots of tree limbs down, but fortunately nothing hit the house. The kids had no school for two days--first time ever here in MA this early, since that part of the city had no power, either. But, as they say, we shall rebuild.
raisindot

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:31 pm

So glad you're ok Raisin! :D I'm sure the kids didn't mind the break from school.
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:19 pm

Good news that you are yours are OK.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:46 pm

The gays caused Sandy, apparently.

http://billionmoms.org/

:shock: :think: :doh: :doh:

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum