R.I.P. Mary Travers

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Postby raspberry » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:47 pm

Tonyblack wrote:We had a lovely surprise a while back. Sharlene is a big fan of this type of folk music and we watched a PBS special about Pete Seeger. We enjoyed it so much that I bought the DVD and when we watched it we noticed that at one of the concerts (Wichita University) Sharlene was there in the front row. :)

The BBC did a really interesting documentary where Seeger featured quite prominently- did you see it? It was about the history of American music, think it was on BBC2? The man seemed so geniuine and had put up with so much.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Postby Tonyblack » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:03 pm

He is (he's still alive and performing in his 90s) an amazing guy. He was accused of being a member of the Communist Party during McCarthyism and wasn't allowed to perform on TV or radio for many years, although he was still performing in universities and schools and touring the world. I got Sharlene another DVD of him on Australian TV while he was banned in his own country.

But if you think of songs he either wrote or co wrote like 'If I had a Hammer', 'Where Have All the Flowers Gone', 'Turn, Turn, Turn' and ones he made popular like 'We Shall Overcome', you realise just what an influence he had not only on American Folk music, but world music in general. :D

Pete Seeger. :wink:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby raspberry » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:10 pm

We had the words from Turn Turn Turn read out at my Dad's funeral, it is a really special song.
… I read him his rites, whereupon, he said up, yours copper. Sgnt Detritus then, cautioned him, upon which he said, ouch…
raspberry

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum