Best book for a big budget film

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Best book for a big budget film

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:00 pm

Someone once suggested (don't know whether it was here, or another forum) that Ken "Rebus" Stott should play Vimes, and I can't picture anyone else playing the part since.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby ArthurR » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:13 pm

For me it would have to be "The Last Continent", its a book I can read over and over again, but not a good read on long haul flights, you get strange looks when you suddenly burst out laughing.
ArthurR

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Sep 19, 2012 2:33 pm

Since Pooh isn't around to say it.................... Pyramids. :lol:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Margi » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:01 pm

Come to think of it, who the heck would play Nobby Nobbs? Computer avatar? Or clever make-up? I can't even picture how he looks. Maybe Michael J. Pollard could have done it in years gone by, but sadly he might be better suited to Cohen now (I just looked him up and he's 79!)
Margi

Postby fids » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:50 pm

Guards Guards, c'mon its got a bloody dragon :mrgreen:
You may be a King or a simple road sweeper but sooner or later you'll dance with the reaper
fids

Postby S@mwich » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:10 pm

I would like to see a five movie series of the granny weatherwax novels (wyrd sisters-carpe jungulm), however the one problem is that each movie would have to have quite a different tone

Wyrd sisters- absolute madness, particularly at the end
Witches abroad- very whimsical of course
Lords and ladies- quite dark and violent, methinks
Masquerade- just plain fun, I think, with a bit of a dark undertone
Carpe jugulum- one for sorrow...
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby polythenegirl » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:02 pm

I love the idea of Witches Abroad being a big budget film.

Also Carpe Jugulum.... fits in perfectly with the world's obsession with Vampires at the moment :lol:

I always get stuck on who would play the characters though. I would adore Granny to be played by Hetty from NCIS:LA, but she's far far too short. Maybe the lead woman from Prime Suspect USA would be good as she's good at playign the kinda harsh reality characters.
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 am

Somewhere I heard that Terry had finally gotten back the film rights to Mort. Is it likely that Pixar will come asking again, having got half way before it turned out someone else had the rights?
=Tamar

Postby 3blackhearts » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:54 pm

Time to stick my ten cents worth in I suppose for Best Book To Feature In A Big Budget Film, and my award goes to (drum roll please)..."The last Hero", but only as long as they don't get that that theatrically-challenged idiot Cruise to play Cohen.
3blackhearts

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:06 pm

Although a tad too tall, somehow (and it's a tad difficult, I know), I could see David Warner as Cohen.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Penfold » Sun Oct 28, 2012 12:15 pm

It would be an ironic laugh if they could get Arnold Schwarzenegger to play the part. ;)

(He doesn't fit my image of Cohen, btw, even with the use of prosthetics and make up)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby 3blackhearts » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:58 pm

Penfold wrote:It would be an ironic laugh if they could get Arnold Schwarzenegger to play the part. ;)

(He doesn't fit my image of Cohen, btw, even with the use of prosthetics and make up)

Hmmm...has possibilities, but I would see any future Arnie has in a DW film as being limited to either the Jailer or Snooork from the Evil Henchmen, or as a stunt-double for and elderly Carrot.
3blackhearts

Postby S@mwich » Sun May 12, 2013 8:54 am

Thinking about the need for background information in big budget films, I think Monstrous regiment would be a good option for audiences with no prior discworld knowledge.
Death or pins? Death or Pratchett!
Discworld completion: 66.6%
S@mwich

Postby =Tamar » Mon May 13, 2013 7:31 pm

S@mwich wrote: Witches abroad- very whimsical of course

I think Witches Abroad could be a very art-concept film. There's all that "reflections" imagery - the mirror on the scarecrow, the reflections in puddles, the physical resemblance, the climactic scene, and the rethinking that is also part of the meaning of the word "reflection." It would work as a satire of things like Shrek. It would have to be funded and made entirely outside Hollywood, though, for reasons that should be obvious. Casting would be crucial, too, and Hollywood would never go for the correct person to play Magrat. But there would have to be a prologue explaining the term "wet", which, frankly, I have never really understood except as a generic term for "someone the popular kids don't like".
=Tamar

Postby MongoGutman » Mon May 13, 2013 8:46 pm

Moving Pictures - got a lot of references the general (non discworld fans) public are likely to get. Got a love story. Lots of slapstick. Got a big cinematic climax: 50ft woman climbing a skyscraper with an ape in her hand. Made for the movies.
Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? ~~ Oddball
MongoGutman

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels