American Football in London.

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: American Football in London.

Postby pip » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:51 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I was kind of surprised to discover that rugby is played in the US. The head of the massage therapy practice that Sharlene used to go to was very much into it and had team photos all over the waiting room.

They've played in the last few Rugby world cups (badly)
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:00 pm

It has become a bit popular in some places, I was at a Worldcon wearing one of mine when, this guy came up to me and said he had been getting up really early to watch the games.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:15 pm

A mate of mine just outside of Cardiff will be going he is quite a fan of it as well as football :roll: surprising enough He's not much of a rugby fan :? :? takes all kind I suppose.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:35 pm

pip wrote:
raisindot wrote:
pip wrote: Our national games last 70 minutes :D

That's true, and usually the final score is 0-0 on the field, and 4 dead, 25 injured, and 1 million in damage in the stands.

What game are you talking about . 0-0 is pretty much impossible in Gaelic or hurling and no violence. Are you lumping us in with the English. I'm suprised at you :shock:

Forgive me for my diplomatic snafu. I thought you were referring to "the football," i.e., the most popular sport in every country in the world other than the U.S., where quite often there are more crickets chirpin' on the turf than spectators in the stands. If you folks in the Emerald Isles play something different, I'm quite open to be educated on whateverthehellitis.
raisindot

Postby pip » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:01 pm

'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby pip » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:03 pm

Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:04 pm

And in Scotland we have Shinty similar to Hurling slightly different but they play each other.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby pip » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:42 pm

Who's Wee Dug wrote:And in Scotland we have Shinty similar to Hurling slightly different but they play each other.

There are very violent internationals between the Scots and the Irish. :lol:
In the football we also play Austrailia in a mixed rules game were they send Aussie rules players out
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:12 pm

See I telt you we Celt's would win. ;) :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Postby chris.ph » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:17 pm

pip wrote:
Who's Wee Dug wrote:And in Scotland we have Shinty similar to Hurling slightly different but they play each other.

There are very violent internationals between the Scots and the Irish. :lol:
In the football we also play Austrailia in a mixed rules game were they send Aussie rules players out

i loved watching the mixed rules games its mental :lol: :lol:

i played a couple of games of rugby in the states once in fort lauderdale but they were an ex-pats squad then in raliegh in north carolina against the college and they were massive, useless, but massive :lol: :lol:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby raisindot » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:54 pm

Back to the REAL topic.

The New England Patriots hammered the St. Louis Rams 46-7.

Apparently, there were 84,000 people at Wembley, and most stayed the entire game. Considering that you can't get a quarter of that to attend a soccer game in the U.S. unless there's a national US team playing and it's not all that unimpressive, although whether most tickets for this game were purchased or simply given away in pubs is up to question.

American football won't make a significant dent in the UK until and unless a young handsome Brit becomes quarterback on a decent U.S. team and takes that team to the playoffs.
raisindot

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:18 pm

They definitely would not be giving then out in the pubs, although some may be corporate, and 84.000 is about the capacity of Wembley.
Last edited by Who's Wee Dug on Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby phalarope » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm

As an American fan of English Premier League football, I have made a major attempt to watch professional American soccer, and I have a hard time not falling asleep. It's about a quarter of the speed of what the rest of the world plays. No wonder the sport can't seem to generate a fan base here. Our national team is worth the effort, though.
Cheers -
Carol (phalarope)
'The world is full of signals that we don't perceive.'
-- Stephen Jay Gould, (1941-2002) paleontologist, evolutionary biologist, science historian

Oysters have 4 lips
phalarope

Postby Penfold » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I was able to catch a few of the American League games over here and agree with what you're saying about the pace of the game. I would judge the technical standard of the players (with a few notable exceptions) to be about that of our first and second divisions (league 3 & 4). Having said that, I still quite enjoyed watching it. :D
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
Penfold

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:29 pm

phalarope wrote:As an American fan of English Premier League football, I have made a major attempt to watch professional American soccer, and I have a hard time not falling asleep. It's about a quarter of the speed of what the rest of the world plays. No wonder the sport can't seem to generate a fan base here. Our national team is worth the effort, though.

Carol watch union Rugby then you won't fall asleep then, especially at a six nations Scotland V England game. :mrgreen:
Who's Wee Dug

Previous

Return to The Broken Drum