NWN2 error message

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

NWN2 error message

Postby Conforumist » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 pm

I put the DVD in the drive in order to install the game again and I'm getting this message:

Image

Any suggestions?
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Penfold » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:08 am

I can't help you there, I'm afraid, except wonder if it's your 'Install Wizard' (assuming you're using Windows 7 or Vista). Maybe the guys on THIS BOARD can help? :)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:53 am

My hubby plays that game. He's out of town right now, but I can ask him about your error message when I talk to him later.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:55 am

Catch-up wrote:My hubby plays that game. He's out of town right now, but I can ask him about your error message when I talk to him later.

Although I suspect that might be AFTER talking to him about the extrenal hard drive . . . :?
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
User avatar
Tonyblack
Moderator
 
Posts: 28806
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:29 pm
Location: Cardiff, Wales

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:59 am

Oh, we've talked about that. Once he gets home on the weekend, that's top priority. But, I'll talk to him on the phone today, so I can ask him about Con's problem. Should be a good time to ask because he's with a bunch of people who play the game and the guy who created it/runs it.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
User avatar
Catch-up
Member
 
Posts: 6727
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 3:19 am
Location: Michigan, U.S.A.

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:25 pm

Blimey, that's handy!
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
User avatar
Bouncy Castle
Member
 
Posts: 11985
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:08 pm
Location: London

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby ChristianBecker » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:34 pm

Did you get this error after reinstalling the game or before?
The message sounds like the game is already installed but the launcher cannot find it. Perhaps there is an autorun file on the DVD that tries to launch the game when the DVD is inserted and a registry entry (from an old install) is still there, yet the actual directory isn't.

If you haven't already reinstalled the game, go to your Windows Start menu, choose Computer, right click on the DVD drive and choose open. There should be a file called setup.exe, install.exe or something like that. Run it to reinstall the game.

If you've already done so, find the install directory on your computer (probably in documents and settings → application data → nwn2 or something) and look for an ini file that's called install.ini, launch.ini, nwn2.ini etc. (any .ini, actually, since I have no idea what the game calls it). Open it with a text editor and (right click, open with... notepad) search for a preset install dir and modify the path according to the path you installed nwn2 to.

Or wait for Catch-Up and her husband('s friend).

Edit: here's the same problem for NWN1, perhaps it helps:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /3341490/2
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
User avatar
ChristianBecker
Member
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Bingen

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:58 pm

I got it on Steam...so much easier :D
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
User avatar
Bickaxe
Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Newport

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Penfold » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:31 pm

Bickaxe wrote:I got it on Steam...so much easier :D

Unfortunately, it's no longer available on Steam. :( (Apart from NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer expansion, that is.)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.
User avatar
Penfold
Member
 
Posts: 7106
Joined: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:59 am
Location: Worthing

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Conforumist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:48 pm

ChristianBecker wrote:Did you get this error after reinstalling the game or before?
The message sounds like the game is already installed but the launcher cannot find it. Perhaps there is an autorun file on the DVD that tries to launch the game when the DVD is inserted and a registry entry (from an old install) is still there, yet the actual directory isn't.

If you haven't already reinstalled the game, go to your Windows Start menu, choose Computer, right click on the DVD drive and choose open. There should be a file called setup.exe, install.exe or something like that. Run it to reinstall the game.

If you've already done so, find the install directory on your computer (probably in documents and settings → application data → nwn2 or something) and look for an ini file that's called install.ini, launch.ini, nwn2.ini etc. (any .ini, actually, since I have no idea what the game calls it). Open it with a text editor and (right click, open with... notepad) search for a preset install dir and modify the path according to the path you installed nwn2 to.

Or wait for Catch-Up and her husband('s friend).
Edit: here's the same problem for NWN1, perhaps it helps:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /3341490/2


I'll double check to see if I have installed it. It might be under a folder I was not considering.

Error came up as soon as I put the disc in; and when I double clicked the DVD drive in the "My Computer" .

I'm still at work, so I'll check it shortly; when I get home.
Edit: here's the same problem for NWN1, perhaps it helps:
http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic ... /3341490/2
Last edited by Conforumist on Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Bickaxe » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:49 pm

Penfold wrote:
Bickaxe wrote:I got it on Steam...so much easier :D

Unfortunately, it's no longer available on Steam. :( (Apart from NWN2 Mask of the Betrayer expansion, that is.)


Gutted.... :twisted: :P
Fiendish til the en-
:twisted:
User avatar
Bickaxe
Member
 
Posts: 603
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Newport

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Conforumist » Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:14 pm

I currently do not have it installed. I have 9kb worth of some Neverwinter files in "My Documents". I can't see how that matters though. :?
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby ChristianBecker » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:44 am

It might matter, if one of the files tells NWN2 where the installation directory supposedly is. Try deleting (or moving) the content of the NWN2 stuff and see what happens when you insert the DVD into the drive.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
User avatar
ChristianBecker
Member
 
Posts: 4120
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:21 pm
Location: Bingen

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Conforumist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:55 am

I opened the DVD and clicked on the "setup" file. It asked me if I wanted to uninstall the game. I said "yes" even though I'm sure it's not installed. Maybe there was some little bit of it left somewhere?

It's installing now...

Thanks y'all!
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Re: NWN2 error message

Postby Conforumist » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 am

Now I'm getting this at the end of the install:

Image

:?
The greatest things in life are not things.
User avatar
Conforumist
Member
 
Posts: 3354
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:23 pm
Location: Nova Scotia Canada

Next

Return to The Broken Drum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], The Mad Collector, Yahoo [Bot] and 9 guests