File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: File this under "Headlines that left you speechless"

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:54 am

Colman Chadam, 11, was "optimistic and enthusiastic and overall, awesome," when he started classes at Jordan Middle School in Palo Alto, Calif., says his mother, Jennifer. "Now he's been told he's unsafe."

What did he do? Nothing -- other than his parents were told 11 years ago that he carries one of about 2,000 gene variations that can cause cystic fibrosis -- which is true for every 1 in 25 humans. He doesn't have the disease, or any symptoms, but the school has ordered him to transfer to another school, farther from home.

The school says that it already has students with CF, and having Colman near them is "unsafe" for them. "The school district freaked out," Jennifer said. "They made this decision without seeing one medical record on my son."

The parents are asking a court to step in.

:doh: :doh: :doh:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:20 am

I read that fresh on the heels of contributing my say about the whole Italian earthquake lawsuit that Pip's done a thread about, and I had already said that my opinion of humanity had sunk to a new low. Now it's sunken even further, which I consider to be beyond the frakking impossible.

He has the gene, for frak's sake! The smegging fraktards of the frakmothering school for crukking smegheads do not seem to milking understand the difference between having a frakking genotype for a disease and actually crukking having it! Frakking scragheads. It's made me so smegging mad, I'm using as many crukking expletives as I can milking use from frakking science fiction!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

And in other news, I find a stranger in the Alps...

All you need to understand
Is everything you know is wrong!

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby pip » Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:33 am

Bloody idiots. Por kid .
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:06 am

And even if he had full blown CF, it's STILL NOT CONTAGIOUS.

FFS.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:07 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:And even if he had full blown CF, it's STILL NOT CONTAGIOUS.

FFS.

But stupidity is. It's either contagious, or universal, and either thought should send you screaming down the street.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:25 am

What is also worrying is that these dipsticks have been charged with educating children. :doh:

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:30 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:And even if he had full blown CF, it's STILL NOT CONTAGIOUS.

FFS.

But having CF kids together can mean that colonising bacteria are passed between them, reducing their quality of life. This is why support groups or summer camps for CF kids are not necessarily a good thing.

But he doesn't have it, which is the point. So what I want to know is, how do they know he's a carrier? Is it policy to test for this sort of thing in US schools? :think:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:34 am

Bouncy Castle wrote:What is also worrying is that these dipsticks have been charged with educating children. :doh:

Agreed.

-Weird Al Yankovic
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:40 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/1 ... 81741.html

Actually, if you read this article, it makes a case for the school.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:41 am

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

The various wires, electronics and gadgets attached to a 30-year-old DeKalb County man didn’t look quite right to onlookers, who called police after seeing the man walking toward a movie theater.

Just weeks after a mass shooting massacre at a Colorado movie theater, the man had the appearance of someone wanting to be destructive, according to police.

Turns out, nothing on Daniel Guillermo Tudela’s body was anything dangerous. The devices includes a phone, MP3 player and GPS unit, his attorney said.

But Tudela was charged this week with having a hoax device, a misdemeanor, and booked into the Gwinnett County jail late Tuesday, according to police.

Tudela, of Stone Mountain, was released from jail about three hours later, booking records show. Later Wednesday, his attorney called the charge unwarranted, and said Tudela was not a terrorist and had no intention of harming anyone.

“The public should know that these charges are wrongful, outrageous, and inflammatory and that my client had no intent whatsoever to give any appearance of possessing a destructive device of any kind,” Regina Matthews, Tudela’s attorney, said in an emailed statement to Channel 2 Action News.

“He is not a terrorist, doesn’t condone terrorism, does not take terrorism lightly/jokingly and would never intentionally cause people to think that he would cause harm to them,” Matthews said.

But Tudela’s appearance prompted a call to 911 when he was seen near Discover Mills on Sept. 13.

“In the day of age that we’re in today, with terrorist activity, and dressing like one, one would assume that you are one,” Cpl. Ed Ritter with Gwinnett police told Channel 2.

Investigators waited to charge Tudela to confirm that he wasn’t a threat, Ritter said.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:54 am

"dressing like one" ??? Oooh. It's an offence to look foreign in Dekalb County.
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:01 pm

Dotsie wrote:But he doesn't have it, which is the point. So what I want to know is, how do they know he's a carrier? Is it policy to test for this sort of thing in US schools? :think:

That's what I was wondering. Here in Germany we only get medical information on students if the parents decide to tell us and the only thing we ever ask parents is if the child needs medication (and that's only when we plan longer trips).
cheery_j.

Postby cheery_j. » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Dotsie wrote:"dressing like one" ??? Oooh. It's an offence to look foreign in Dekalb County.

Oh, there's a special terrorist dress code?
Wouldn't that make it easy to identify terrorists and all the hassle at airports and stuff would be totally unneccessary?
And wouldn't it be a good idea to tell people how terrorist dress, to make sure they know one if they see one? I was in the city centre today and god knows how many terrorists I may have passed without knowing it!!
Oh! Couldn't the security services just arrest people who buy their clothes in shops that sell special terrorist apparel?:doh:

I think I need a lie down.
cheery_j.

Postby Dotsie » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:10 pm

When Jean Charles de Menezes got shot, I remember Underground staff put up a notice telling people not to run in the station, "especially if you look a bit foreign".
Dotsie

Postby raisindot » Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:58 pm

Dotsie wrote:But having CF kids together can mean that colonising bacteria are passed between them, reducing their quality of life. This is why support groups or summer camps for CF kids are not necessarily a good thing.

But he doesn't have it, which is the point. So what I want to know is, how do they know he's a carrier? Is it policy to test for this sort of thing in US schools? :think:

According to the article, the gene was identified by the kid's own doctor, and then the parents reported this to the school. Why they tested the kid is unknown--perhaps CF ran in the family, and the parents wanted to see if he was at risk?

The whole is outrageous. I bet if you tested every kid in that school, you'd probably find others who had the same gene. Why not run Hepatitus tests on all kids, given that supposedly huge numbers of people are unknown carriers? Why not test every kid for AIDs, since their parent's might be unknown carriers? Let's stigmatize every kid who carries a gene (but not the disease) for something so schools can avoid getting hit by lawsuits for events that will probably never happen.

I'll make a bet this school district teaches Creationism and has public prayers in classrooms as well.
raisindot

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum