Cardiff Van Murder

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Cardiff Van Murder

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

A 31-year-old man has appeared in court charged with murder and attempted murder following a series of hit-and-runs in Cardiff.

Karina Menzies, 31, died after she was hit by a van on a fire station forecourt in Ely.

Matthew Tvrdon, of no fixed abode, faces a total of 19 charges.

He spoke only to confirm his name and address and was remanded in custody to appear before Newport Crown Court on Tuesday via a video link.

The series of crashes took place in the west of the city as children were walking home from school on Friday.
Karina Menzies Karina Menzies was hit by a van in Ely, Cardiff, on Friday afternoon

Thirteen people were injured, of whom seven were aged under 12.

At lunchtime on Monday, the University Hospital of Wales in Cardiff confirmed three adults and three children were still being treated following Friday's incidents.

The two adults who were previously described as critical but stable are now "improving", the hospital said.

Mr Tvrdon has also been charged with 13 counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, and one charge of dangerous driving.

South Wales Police said that the investigation was still "very much ongoing" and have appealed for anyone with information to contact them.

What the hell is this country coming to?

Poor Wales has really been through it in the last 2 weeks, - little April going missing (and that's gone very quiet), the Prestatyn fire, and now this.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Cardiff Van Murder

Postby pip » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:12 pm

We had two of those here a few years back. A guy drove up the main shopping street here and hit numerous people but killed none while another guy stole a bus and managed to kill two and made it quite a few miles. Its bloody scary stuff
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Del » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:29 pm

Its been on the news here too.... I thought you lot have a gazillion cctv cams there.... how did he manage to get away with this for so long?

Sad. Really sad.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Tonyblack » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:04 pm

Del wrote:Its been on the news here too.... I thought you lot have a gazillion cctv cams there.... how did he manage to get away with this for so long?

Sad. Really sad.

This happened in the suburbs where there aren't many cameras. There are loads in the city centre though.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:14 pm

There are far too many Nutters in this world, You have got to have eyes in the back of your head nowerdays.What drives a man to do something like this :o
Alanz

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:19 am

Bouncy's report didn't mention that he deliberately targeted women and children.
He also got out of his van to assault people with a crook lock.

A sicko who deserves to be left in a room, to the mercy of mothers and fathers... :evil:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:24 am

Seriously?

Sheesh. :doh:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Catch-up » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Awful. :( So glad they caught him.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I know that this is entirely inappropriate to say, given the tragic subject matter (what can I say--I'm from a nation where every day hundreds of people get killed by guns, hit and runs, random kidnappings, domestic violence, gang warfare, and other acts of violence, so I've become uncomfortably numbed), but I originally thought that the title of this topic referred to a character in a book. :?
raisindot

Postby Tonyblack » Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:37 pm

:lol: You're not completely alone. Many years ago there was a company just outside Cardiff called Barry Van Hire and we used to have a joke that went: Did you hear about the idiot who thought Barry Van Hire was a Dutch footballer? :doh:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Return to The Broken Drum