So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby polythenegirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough for me (and thats not meant a s a derogatory thing, that's just personal to me, I like to challenge myself)
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:19 pm

polythenegirl wrote:I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

What kind of challenges are you looking for? Advanced vocabulary? Plot convolutions? Hard-to-love characters? Philosophical differences to contemplate?
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 am

I first came across Disc world, in would you believe a second hand shop,I was in there with my wife at the time so while she browsed i looked at the books and there was 6 paperbacks by Sir Terry at £1 each so i bought them and the first one that i read was Night Watch, I am currently nearly at the end of Jingo and i'm getting through any that i can obtain, i keep looking as you never know what you will find..they're all brilliant i'm so glad i went into that shop with her as i normally wait outside.. :D :D
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

Six in one shop? Wow, you hit the motherlode! :lol:

I regularly scour charity shops and have noticed that second hand Pratchetts tend to be scarce these days. I buy most of the books as first edition hardbacks, but like to have a second hand copy that I don't have to worry about keeping pristine.

Every time I see a Pratchett in a charity shop these dyas I'm always tempted to buy it and save it from being pulped, but I stop myself and think - no! Leave it there for someone who hasn't read it before. ;)
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Alanz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Yea they are paperbacks in very good condition, As i said i've not read many but slowly getting through them, I may well read some twice as you get a better understanding the second time.
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Alanz wrote:Yea they are paperbacks in very good condition, As i said i've not read many but slowly getting through them, I may well read some twice as you get a better understanding the second time.

Absolutely! I've read most of them about five times or more and I still find new things each time.
Tonyblack

Postby polythenegirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

=Tamar wrote:
polythenegirl wrote:I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

What kind of challenges are you looking for? Advanced vocabulary? Plot convolutions? Hard-to-love characters? Philosophical differences to contemplate?

No need to be like that!

Just challenge my brain to read, so I suppose I mean in plot and vocab.

Sorry if that upsets people
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 pm

The last one is more adult and a bit darker. :) but then I like them all. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm just starting Book no 15 (Sourcery) tonight, still a long way to go. :D :D :D
Alanz

Postby =Tamar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 pm

polythenegirl wrote:
=Tamar wrote:
polythenegirl wrote:(snip) I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

No need to be like that!
Just challenge my brain to read, so I suppose I mean in plot and vocab.
Sorry if that upsets people

I'm not upset, just curious. Lots of people have a favorite series among the various books and it's pretty easy to guess what attracts them (witches, police procedurals). Because, I think, there is a fairly wide variety among the so-called children's books, I'm interested in why they you rejected all of them. My guess is that The Amazing Maurice is intended for a slightly older audience than The Wee Free Men and Truckers, but turned out to be written for a younger audience than I Shall Wear Midnight and the Johnny books. On re-reading TWFM after my 10-year-old great-niece gave up on it (and she has read some rather long popular books), I was surprised by how advanced the vocabulary is in TWFM, despite the deceptively simple plot.
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I got fed up with not finding any second hand Terry Pratchett books ( I intend to save the Paperbacks so i can read them again) so i bought myself 4 new ones today,from Waterstones they were on offer buy one get one half price,£ 7.99 Now my Missus has just told me that the same books are on Amazon for half the price i think the most for a Paperback is £3.00, so i'm ordering lots more :dance: The books that i got today are Hogfather Snuff (which i've just started reading) Men at Arms and The Fith Elephant. :D
Alanz

Postby chuckie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Happy reading Alanz :D
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 pm

I've got a long and enjoyable road of reading to go, I'm definately looking forward to treading. :dance: :D :D
Alanz

Postby mark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:24 pm

1. Someone on an un-related forum recommended them after i asked for advice on finding an author that wrote books similar to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
2. The Colour of magic
3. Yes, i want to read all of them, preferably in order (see below)
4. Mort
5. Not applicable

Can i ask is it that important to read them all in order i cannot find a copy of Mort, i can borrow one from the local library but it will take weeks to get, in the meanwhile if i read thew next one "Sourcery" i think, then came back to Mort would that cause an issue

Thanks
mark

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi mark and welcome to the site! :)

I would say that generally it's not important to read the books in order. Most people on this thread would agree - which was part of the reason for the thread in the first place. ;)
Tonyblack

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels