So, you've discovered Discworld...

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: So, you've discovered Discworld...

Postby polythenegirl » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:51 am

I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough for me (and thats not meant a s a derogatory thing, that's just personal to me, I like to challenge myself)
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby =Tamar » Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:19 pm

polythenegirl wrote:I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

What kind of challenges are you looking for? Advanced vocabulary? Plot convolutions? Hard-to-love characters? Philosophical differences to contemplate?
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:25 am

I first came across Disc world, in would you believe a second hand shop,I was in there with my wife at the time so while she browsed i looked at the books and there was 6 paperbacks by Sir Terry at £1 each so i bought them and the first one that i read was Night Watch, I am currently nearly at the end of Jingo and i'm getting through any that i can obtain, i keep looking as you never know what you will find..they're all brilliant i'm so glad i went into that shop with her as i normally wait outside.. :D :D
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:35 am

Six in one shop? Wow, you hit the motherlode! :lol:

I regularly scour charity shops and have noticed that second hand Pratchetts tend to be scarce these days. I buy most of the books as first edition hardbacks, but like to have a second hand copy that I don't have to worry about keeping pristine.

Every time I see a Pratchett in a charity shop these dyas I'm always tempted to buy it and save it from being pulped, but I stop myself and think - no! Leave it there for someone who hasn't read it before. ;)
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Yes! We're all individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby Alanz » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Yea they are paperbacks in very good condition, As i said i've not read many but slowly getting through them, I may well read some twice as you get a better understanding the second time.
Alanz

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 2:07 pm

Alanz wrote:Yea they are paperbacks in very good condition, As i said i've not read many but slowly getting through them, I may well read some twice as you get a better understanding the second time.

Absolutely! I've read most of them about five times or more and I still find new things each time.
Look, you've got it all wrong! You don't NEED to follow ME, You don't NEED to follow ANYBODY! You've got to think for your selves! You're ALL individuals!
Tonyblack
Site Admin

Postby polythenegirl » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:20 pm

=Tamar wrote:
polythenegirl wrote:I've read a couple. And I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

What kind of challenges are you looking for? Advanced vocabulary? Plot convolutions? Hard-to-love characters? Philosophical differences to contemplate?

No need to be like that!

Just challenge my brain to read, so I suppose I mean in plot and vocab.

Sorry if that upsets people
Polythene Girl

*mwah*
polythenegirl

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:09 pm

The last one is more adult and a bit darker. :) but then I like them all. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Alanz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:19 pm

I'm just starting Book no 15 (Sourcery) tonight, still a long way to go. :D :D :D
Alanz

Postby =Tamar » Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 pm

polythenegirl wrote:
=Tamar wrote:
polythenegirl wrote:(snip) I enjoyed Wee Free Men, but just didn't find them challenging enough

No need to be like that!
Just challenge my brain to read, so I suppose I mean in plot and vocab.
Sorry if that upsets people

I'm not upset, just curious. Lots of people have a favorite series among the various books and it's pretty easy to guess what attracts them (witches, police procedurals). Because, I think, there is a fairly wide variety among the so-called children's books, I'm interested in why they you rejected all of them. My guess is that The Amazing Maurice is intended for a slightly older audience than The Wee Free Men and Truckers, but turned out to be written for a younger audience than I Shall Wear Midnight and the Johnny books. On re-reading TWFM after my 10-year-old great-niece gave up on it (and she has read some rather long popular books), I was surprised by how advanced the vocabulary is in TWFM, despite the deceptively simple plot.
=Tamar

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:45 pm

I got fed up with not finding any second hand Terry Pratchett books ( I intend to save the Paperbacks so i can read them again) so i bought myself 4 new ones today,from Waterstones they were on offer buy one get one half price,£ 7.99 Now my Missus has just told me that the same books are on Amazon for half the price i think the most for a Paperback is £3.00, so i'm ordering lots more :dance: The books that i got today are Hogfather Snuff (which i've just started reading) Men at Arms and The Fith Elephant. :D
Alanz

Postby chuckie » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:15 pm

Happy reading Alanz :D
Susan did an unusual thing and listened. that's not an easy task for a teacher.
chuckie

Postby Alanz » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:21 pm

I've got a long and enjoyable road of reading to go, I'm definately looking forward to treading. :dance: :D :D
Alanz

Postby mark » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:24 pm

1. Someone on an un-related forum recommended them after i asked for advice on finding an author that wrote books similar to the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
2. The Colour of magic
3. Yes, i want to read all of them, preferably in order (see below)
4. Mort
5. Not applicable

Can i ask is it that important to read them all in order i cannot find a copy of Mort, i can borrow one from the local library but it will take weeks to get, in the meanwhile if i read thew next one "Sourcery" i think, then came back to Mort would that cause an issue

Thanks
mark

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:37 pm

Hi mark and welcome to the site! :)

I would say that generally it's not important to read the books in order. Most people on this thread would agree - which was part of the reason for the thread in the first place. ;)
Tonyblack
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Discworld novels