Interesting Dedications

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Interesting Dedications

Postby Fragus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi All

I was looking through the west wing of my Library this evening.... Okay the left hand end of my TP bookshelf.... and I took down Interesting Times and read the dedication inscribed within.

Does anyone else have a clever play on words from Sir TP, giving a small enlightenment to the man. I'll explain...

I stood in line with my shiny new copy of Interesting times and stepped forward to the man in the hat. He looked up and said what do you enjoy doing, I said I was a "LARPer" (Live Action Role PLayer), he then quickly scratched away and showed me the the dedication. I was so in awe of the moment of being addressed by one of my heroes that I suffered from a sudden mind blank. He said, "Where's that from?". I read it and couldn't get it.

Here is what he wrote, "Hey Sarge, we've got a live role-player". He then had to explain that it came from the movie "Aliens".

This quick inscription showed me the following;
His mind must be working overtime cross referencing at the speed of dark.
He liked the movie "Aliens", so cool....
He knew what LARP was/is
I was an incoherent gibbering wreck

Sorry for not getting Terry... :)

Anyone else with strange/surreal dedications?
Fragus

Re: Interesting Dedications

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:01 am

That's really in Aliens? I don't remember it. I thought it was "we've got a live one here", but I hate to contradict!
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby Fragus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:58 am

Dotsie wrote:That's really in Aliens? I don't remember it. I thought it was "we've got a live one here", but I hate to contradict!

Oh no Dotsie, It was a play on words by TP. I know what the line was in Aliens as did Terry, but he quickly fused it with my hobby of Live Roleplaying......
Fragus

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 am

This was from a signing in Wincanton, I metioned to Stephen Briggs how much I liked the laugh he used for Carcer in Night Watch and as Terry was sitting by him the CD cover was returned as below:

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby The Mad Collector » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:12 am

I don't normally like dedications I prefer to have just the signature but I also have the German edition of Nanny Oggs Cookbook signed by Tina Hannan who actually created and tested all the recipes.

One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:58 am

Fragus wrote:
Dotsie wrote:That's really in Aliens? I don't remember it. I thought it was "we've got a live one here", but I hate to contradict!

Oh no Dotsie, It was a play on words by TP. I know what the line was in Aliens as did Terry, but he quickly fused it with my hobby of Live Roleplaying......

I guess you had to be there :lol:
What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby ChristianBecker » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:38 am

In my Science of Discworld he wrote:
It spins!
Maybe he was referring to his head after signing all those books (only two of them were mine).
But given the context of the book, I think it was a reference to round world.
On with their heads! I'm the clown prince of fools
if you don't get the joke it's your loss
Love and laughter you see are the new currency
'cause greed's coinage is not worth a toss

Exile yourself to the unforgiving continent of Wraeclast!
ChristianBecker

Postby pip » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:47 am

Not terry pratchett but i quite liked my dedication from Neil Gaiman on Fragile Things -
Dream dangerously
For Rivers of London I have a dedication saying ''everyone has there own London'' but my personal favourite is John Connolly for Hells Bells , Samuel Jonson vs the Devil part 2 which is , ''Keep that damned woman away from your side of the book shelf'' based on a conversation i'd had with him by email previously :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Quatermass » Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:53 am

ChristianBecker wrote:In my Science of Discworld he wrote:
It spins!
Maybe he was referring to his head after signing all those books (only two of them were mine).
But given the context of the book, I think it was a reference to round world.

He put that down in my copy too.

I dunno whether he puts certain dedications down in the books unless he decides otherwise, but my favourite came with my then-favourite book, Reaper Man. He put down, Read it and reap!
I've lived for over 2000 years, and not all of them were good ones. I've made many mistakes. And it's about time I did something about that.

-The Twelfth Doctor, Doctor Who: Deep Breath
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:51 am

These days he generally just signs the books. But he used to have a general comment based on the book, or, if you managed to intrigue him, something a bit more personal.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Dotsie » Fri Oct 19, 2012 1:11 pm

These days he doesn't sign at all, most likely. I guess you'll still be able to buy pre-signed copies from PJSM Prints, but there were no signing sessions at con. The latest signing I went to (2 years ago, at con), it was a thumbprint.
Dotsie

Postby Fragus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:54 pm

The Mad Collector wrote:I don't normally like dedications I prefer to have just the signature but I also have the German edition of Nanny Oggs Cookbook signed by Tina Hannan who actually created and tested all the recipes.

Just love this one....... :)
Fragus

Postby Fragus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Dotsie wrote:These days he doesn't sign at all, most likely. I guess you'll still be able to buy pre-signed copies from PJSM Prints, but there were no signing sessions at con. The latest signing I went to (2 years ago, at con), it was a thumbprint.

I read somwhere the other day that Terry is unable to write anything other than his signature, this is why he no longer does any signing tours. The Ely event must be a specially selected thing to enable him to control the signing. Not because he wants it to be extra special for the few (even though it is) or to upset those not chosen, but to allow him the peace and time needed to sign.
I personally think that the best way forward will be the pjsm signed copies. This will allow him to comfortably sign in his own time, in surroundings that make it less stressful.
I think he and those closest to him are getting the balance right. It must be so hard for such a prolific signer and meeter of fans to step back and slow it all down. Long may the turtle travel...
Fragus

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:01 pm

I know that when he did do lots of signings, he had a lot of problems with Repetitive Strain Injury and needed a bowl of ice water for his wrist.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:05 pm

Most of the time at the big signings I had seen him with a bag of frozen peas. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Next

Return to The Broken Drum