Photos of bugs and other things people might be phobic about

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Photos of bugs and other things people might be phobic a

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:35 am

That Mexican Amberwing looks fantastic,would love to get that in my viewfinder. :clap:
Broccolee wrote:Since then the girls are rather wary of dragonflies.

They really shouldn't be,if anything they are only after the gnats/mosquitos about to bite you! ;)
From the description and your location i suspect it to be a Große Königslibelle (Anax imperator/Emperor).
And as it's designation Große(=great/big)already states it is big.
In our neck of the woods it is indeed one of the if not the biggest around(although 11cms seems to be the max. :P ).
The males are more blue,like this one :
The only other suspects for me would be a Southern Hawker/Blue Darner (Aeshna cyanea),just a bit smaller than the Emperor :
or a Migrant Hawker (Aeshna mixta),even a tiny bit smaller still,but much more prolific :
Image.
The weather is turning nasty here,so the dragon- and damselfly season has come to an end i highly suspect.
So i'll be turning more to the skies for the next months,for shots like this :
My first European Honey Buzzard (Pernis apivorus)...
Sweet! :dance:
Last edited by Mycroft Vimes on Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Broccolee » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:39 am

I guess it was the first one!Maybe it sat in the woods hiding and gorging on giant gnats and grew to it´s abnormal size secretly,just to jump out on unsuspecting tourists and give them the fright of their lives.Hey,as long as it´s not a coala,eh? :D

Love that picture of the huge bird,I made one similar to that of a seagull once.I guess it´s luck if you get one like that without a huge blob of white obscuring half the picture!! :D
It´s still magic even if you know how it´s done.
Broccolee

Postby Mycroft Vimes » Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:59 pm

Might have been feeding at some toxic waste dump,in retrospect you were probably lucky to come away unscathed! :mrgreen:

The bird is quite large,but the pic is also highly cropped,so i wasn't in danger of fertilisation thankfully.
Although i grant you,you are far more likely to be hit by Harrier-poo than blue ice :
:lol:
'It's just like crop circles. No matter how many aliens own up to making them, there are always a few diehards who believe that humans go out with garden rollers in the middle of the night-'
Mycroft Vimes

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Really goods ones of the Dragonflies.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby AuntyVague » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:08 am

I almost missed those wonderful dragonfly photos! It is just coming in to the time of year that we get them here, so hopefully I will master my new camera and get at least one half decent photo on a dragonfly to share this year!

I disturbed this very sleepy critter by being rude enough to pick up the pot that it was snoozing under and start using it to plant something in. I didn't even know it was there until it started slowly making it's way across my potting bench like it was looking for it's first coffee of the morning. Lucky for me it wasn't wide awake or it might have shot up my arm!

AuntyVague

Postby Catch-up » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Wow! He's a decent size, isn't he? Please tell me he's not poisonous.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Christ on a Bike. :shock:
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Was he wearing a helmet. :mrgreen:
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Penfold » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 pm

Catch-up wrote:Wow! He's a decent size, isn't he? Please tell me he's not poisonous.

Since it is an Australian spider, I would assume that it is both extremely poisonous and a man eating species as well. ;)
The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense.

Len Brook Photography
Penfold

Postby AuntyVague » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:53 am

Penfold wrote:
Catch-up wrote:Wow! He's a decent size, isn't he? Please tell me he's not poisonous.

Since it is an Australian spider, I would assume that it is both extremely poisonous and a man eating species as well. ;)

Believe it or not, this one (a hunstman) won't kill you (quite an un-Australian attitude I know!) While the Museum Victoria website states that symptoms are minor - just pain and swelling, I've never met anyone who has been bitten by one. They mainly just like to hang around a freak people out.
AuntyVague

Postby cheery_j. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 5:41 am

I showed it to bf and remarked that we might not want to go to Auntralia after all. He wondered why and said "I'm sure he just wants to play". :roll:
I told him to keep that in mind when I wake him in the middle of the night to tell him to take the huge scary spider outside. :D
cheery_j.

Postby Dotsie » Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:09 am

What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!
Dotsie

Postby chris.ph » Wed Nov 07, 2012 9:11 am

this is why ive never visited my families relations in oz :shock:
measuring intelligence by exam results is like measuring digestion by turd length
chris.ph

Postby AuntyVague » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:46 am

Love the video Dotsie! Yep, they do love to appear from behind car visors :roll: Not sure that I'd try to catch one or let one run over my face though :o

cheery_j. wrote:I showed it to bf and remarked that we might not want to go to Auntralia after all. He wondered why and said "I'm sure he just wants to play". :roll:
I told him to keep that in mind when I wake him in the middle of the night to tell him to take the huge scary spider outside. :D

Just think of them as Australian squirrels. After all, they're big and furry and they scamper about really quickly. What more could you want :D
AuntyVague

Postby eric » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:36 am

I have..... spider crab. They're for people that either don't like spiders or people who don't like crabs. Kind of like having four legs in each camp.

eric

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum