Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: New Doctor Who Series

Postby spideyGirl » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:53 pm

I'll miss Rory more than Amy
spideyGirl

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm

spideyGirl wrote:I'll miss Rory more than Amy

Me too. At least I could understand what he was saying most of the time. Amy just mumbled her lines as quickly as possible.

Same with Matt, I'm afraid.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:26 pm

Tonyblack wrote:I've done that to people - it really works. :lol:

Ha ha! Gotta try it on the old man. :lol: :twisted:

Bouncy Castle wrote:
spideyGirl wrote:I'll miss Rory more than Amy

Me too. At least I could understand what he was saying most of the time. Amy just mumbled her lines as quickly as possible.

Same with Matt, I'm afraid.

I just found Amy unlikeable as a character. She seemed a little too much like the creator's pet, and had little of the likeability of Rose. This isn't the actress' fault. There are a number of stories (such as The Girl Who Waited) that prove that Karen Gillian can act well when given the right material.

Rory seems to be a better companion, partly because he isn't filled with dopey-eyed wonder about the Doctor straight away. The better companions tend to be suspicious of the Doctor initially. Look at Sarah Jane Smith, or the Brigadier.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:46 am

Was The Brig technically a Companion?

My memory is vague - did he ever travel in the Tardis? I have hazy memories of scenes of him in the Tardis, but can't remember if he ever went to distant galaxies or not.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:16 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Was The Brig technically a Companion?

My memory is vague - did he ever travel in the Tardis? I have hazy memories of scenes of him in the Tardis, but can't remember if he ever went to distant galaxies or not.

He did on at least two occasions in the TV series. In The Three Doctors, he was transported along with the TARDIS (though the TARDIS didn't actually move itself, it was transported by an antimatter creature) to Omega's anti-matter world within the black hole (though he initially thought that they were either in another country, thus risking a diplomatic disaster, or a beach in Norfolk). And in The Five Doctors, he was transported by Time Scoop along with the Second Doctor to Gallifrey. Oh, and in Mawdryn Undead, the Brigadier (from two different times simultaneously) entered a spaceship in orbit around the Earth.

In other media, he does travel to other worlds. In the radio story The Paradise of Death, he is transported to at least one other alien planet. In the novel The Face of the Enemy, he was transported (along with Benton, Ian Chesterton, the Master and Barbara) to the devastated parallel Earth from Inferno. And in the novel The Shadow in the Glass, he travels back in time with the Sixth Doctor and meets Hitler.

Anyway, he counts pretty much as a companion. He's worked with the Doctor for so damn long, he'd be an honorary companion at least.
"What have you been doing since you stole that antique TARDIS of yours, since you first landed on Skaro? Shouting 'Look at me!!! I'm not fighting a war!', while you battle the Daleks all the way through space and time."

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Tonyblack » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:18 pm

:lol: In that case, K-9 was a companion as well.
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Quatermass » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:23 pm

Tonyblack wrote::lol: In that case, K-9 was a companion as well.

Well, duh. Anyone who believes that K-9 wasn't a companion should be sentenced to be strapped down to watch Star Trek non-stop for all of the original series...with no food, no water, and no toilet breaks. :twisted:

-the Master
Quatermass

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:22 pm

Toilet breaks not a problem if there's no food or water!! ;)

Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:24 pm

WELL!

Short huh?

I liked "Cubed" and the Angels of New York the best.

I heard an interview where they said it was more like 5 little mini-movies. Totally agree.

Though I have to say... the series with Rose and Donna was more satisfying... I love the hunt for the clues in a proper series.

Yes Tony I will miss Rory's dad too :( I liked Rory too. Is River still going to be in it?

Feel like I have been offered nothing but a tiny sip of ale at the Guinness Brewery. FIVE episodes??? WHY? Its a world wide hit.. not like they cant sell it. Was it all the production costs of going to the USA? They could have filmed it in the BBC carpark for all I care. FIVE?

I was watching rather distractedly in the final one and suddenly burst into tears when Amy was gone :( :( Dead quiet loungeroom and lots of other sniffles too...

I feel like I have been conned.... FIVE episodes?
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Bouncy Castle » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:39 pm

Don't worry, honey.

There's a Christmas Special (where we meet the next Companion............ again - see the first eppy) and then another, I think, 7, making a total of 13.

Don't forget that next year is the squillionth anniversary, so should have Major Doctor Whozzz.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Seimimac » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:37 pm

Tom Baker will make a guest appearance in the anniversary specials :)

http://blastr.com/2012/07/tom-baker-will-return-for.php

Woo-hoo! :D
Seimimac

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:18 pm

Get out the Kleenex, folks.

We now find out what happens to Rory's dad, Brian, after the couple are transported back in time by the Angels.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/docto ... logue.html

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Absolutely bloomin perfect.

Bouncy Castle

Postby Selkie » Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:18 pm

Totally perfect - *sniffs*
Selkie

Postby Tonyblack » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:03 pm

:cry: :cry: :cry: :clap:
"Goodness is about what you do. Not what you pray to."
Tonyblack

Postby Bouncy Castle » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:25 pm

There were a lot of people on the BBC boards of the Angels/Manhattan thread wondering about some "closure" for Brian.

This is the BBC Points of View thread (wot I started! :clap: ) and there are many on there who wanted Brian to have found out what happened to his son and daughter in law.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/mbpointsofview ... 1#lastpost

There's a poster on there called Tony Ingram (or tony ingram has he is registered - I'm not sure that he's not a relative of our chrisph, for his lack of capital letters! Anyhoo........ ) ........

Mr Ingram gets into some snarky rows with other posters, because they don't know the exact script of every Doctor Who episode since time began.

In fact, he can be an obnoxious git.

If any of you are registered at BBC POV, get in there, should you feel the need.......... natch!!

;)

Bouncy Castle

PreviousNext

Return to TV, film, theatre