Frustration Thread 3

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Re: Frustration Thread 3

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Nope. Waiting list for Housing commission houses is about ten years right now.

The rents on them are indexed so a pittance really. Not the best of houses but a roof over your head and better than being homeless. Some of them are interspersed in normal houses so you would never know. There are some horror areas yes, with estates but there are some really pretty streets of them too in really really good suburbs.

Its a bit sad and a pet peeve of mine... they are supposed to be "emergency housing" for when things are tough for people... but alot of people just never move out of them even when they get on their feet.

Some poor old dear made headlines here a few months ago. The commission wanted to move her and her husband out of her three bedroom house and into a two bedroom unit (flat) since their kids had well and truly grown up and moved out and these two dears were financially fine. She went to the press and made a furore about "I have lived here for 30 years and they want to uproot me. George is settled and I need the spare bedroom for the grandkids when they come and I wouldnt stay sane without my sewing room."

NO... You need to move out and let some poor homeless family of children have your damned sewing room so they can have a roof over their head that isnt a car roof. :evil:

They let her keep it. Poor love. :roll:

Its not that we have been affected with the GFC as much as other countries either. Far from it. It was the property boom that did this. The prices went up in some cases by 300% and so did the rents. The government rammed the interest rates down to save people NOT losing their houses and gave massive first home buyer free money incentives to keep the market booming, so thats not the problem. Its just that new home buyers now cant afford homes now that the first home buyers incentive is over, so they rent which drives the rents up more.

Maybe I am still in a bit of shock. I am not freaking out... though I suspect thats deep down boiling away. I mean... WHAT ELSE CAN HAPPEN HUH? :lol: :lol:
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:48 pm

Been surfing the rents properties JUST to see whats out there. Horrified when the major site only had six houses in all of Brissy in my price bracket. :o Though I found some nasty looking townhouses in my area though. So all is not lost and I shouldnt be homeless.

THEN... :lol: :lol: I discovered this... only four houses from ME!!!! Its $350 a week???? I suppose thats because it has a big pool and noone wants to rent a home with a pool.. the expense of running them is huge.

Thing is....... this is the bath !!!!! :o :o :o

Ohhhh I could sit in that an pretend I was in a sleep-pod in 2001 - A Space Oddesey. Could you imagine me ever trying to drag a teen out of that bathroom!! :lol:

bormanhouse.jpg
Del

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:04 pm

Not that this has anywhere near the frustration or drama level of Del's ongoing story, but I'm po'd at my idol, Pete Townshend. He was supposed to be doing a free bookreading in Boston on Friday and I was planning to camping out in front of the store for hours to get a spot. Then I check the bookstore calendar today and find out he's no longer on it. I call the bookstore and find out he's cancelled the free reading and is now doing a paid reading an another venue for US$32. Naturally, all the tickets are sold out and scalpers are selling them for over US$100.

I could blame myself for not checking the bloody store calender every day, but even today Townshend's web site STILL listed the book reading taking place at the book store. Needless to say, I'm not going.
raisindot

Postby Batty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:07 pm

So one landlord went to Dubai, and this one is going to Africa.
Do you always have that effect on landlords?
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:08 pm

Naaah Raisin.... we all have our frustrations at different levels mate.

$32???? Just for a book reading? Thats a bit steep. It would put me off the book frankly.

How rude.
Del

Postby Batty » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:13 pm

Del wrote:THEN... :lol: :lol: I discovered this... only four houses from ME!!!! Its $350 a week???? I suppose thats because it has a big pool and noone wants to rent a home with a pool.. the expense of running them is huge.

Thing is....... this is the bath !!!!! :o :o :o

Ohhhh I could sit in that an pretend I was in a sleep-pod in 2001 - A Space Oddesey. Could you imagine me ever trying to drag a teen out of that bathroom!! :lol:

Couldn't you drain the pool and leave it empty? Turn it into a walled garden ... or a safe games area, or something?
As to the bath. Just live in the bath and forget the rest of the house! :dance:
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:22 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh I thought about that one Batty! I reckon its got a microwave and teamaker in there! Its got one whole wall of full length mirrors. I could just move Morgan in there :lol: :lol:

You cant drain a pool when you rent. And the pool area takes up the whole backyard too (we have to have them fenced here) so no backyard....just maintenance on and on. Electricity, water bills, chemicals. Nah. The rest of the house is gorgeous too. OMG It even has solar hot water and sun panels. AND full security! It wont last more than a day or two that house. Most houses like that in any burb are about $450.

Hmmm... the sun panels might pay for the electricity to run the pool and that bath.... hmmmmm......

Nah :( Its over the budget!!!
Del

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:26 pm

Surely the landlord is responsible for the upkeep of the pool?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm

Nope.
Del

Postby Catch-up » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Oh Del. :( That is so unfair! I'm really sorry you're dealing with this on top of everything else. I hope you find something that works for you. And the teacher, I should have known. I would talk to the principal about her, but since there's only a month left, can't blame you for passing on that.

Raisin, really sorry about the reading. I agree, that is rude! Sorry you were disappointed.
“It is the peculiar nature of the world to go on spinning no matter what sort of heartbreak is happening.”
― Sue Monk Kidd, The Secret Life of Bees:
Catch-up

Postby The Mad Collector » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:06 pm

Ye gods Del, it just gets worse all the time at the moment doesn't it. I really hope you find somewhere when you have to, just keep making the place unappealing. Rents in the UK are really high I cannot find anything under $500 Australian anywhere near here, I pay $3,250 Australian a month in rent but that includes the shop unit underneath.
One of those? Oh I'm sure I have one somewhere..

http://www.bearsonthesquare.com
The Mad Collector

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:25 pm

:o :o

Ouch. But LOOK where you live! :D As much as we dont really like this house anyway... it is going to be so sad not to look out on all the big trees out the back of our house and have a "normal" backyard view again :( I cant make the house unappealing... I am a tad houseproud... especially with strangers roaming through it everyday. :oops: I am sure everything will turn out for the best.

I have to admit.... :lol: I find it funny that I changed my sig just these last few days. :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:27 pm

Oh!Del I feel for you, you could do with a big dose of good luck real soon I hope you find somewhere better to live that you like.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Ooooh. Had a thought - strange but true.

Could you ask the Landlord if he would consider selling to someone who wants to buy it as an income thing, and keep you as tenant?
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby michelanCello » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Bouncy Castle wrote:Ooooh. Had a thought - strange but true.

Could you ask the Landlord if he would consider selling to someone who wants to buy it as an income thing, and keep you as tenant?

That's a good idea! You could try that, Del!
I'm so sorry for your troubles... It's no fair that bad things always happen to good people. :( But you can always come and live here if you want! :D The girls can sleep in my room and we'll sleep on the couch - perfect, innit? ;)
Listen.
michelanCello

Location: Budapest, Hungary (and yes, I'm sure it's Budapest, not Bucharest)

PreviousNext

Return to The Broken Drum