Thought This Marriage Was A Keeper

(For General Discussion)

Moderators: Jason, Toothy, Tonyblack

Thought This Marriage Was A Keeper

Postby Bouncy Castle » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:42 pm

TMZ:

Danny DeVito and Rhea Perlman are separating after 30 years of marriage.

The two married back in 1982 and have 3 children together.

DeVito (5'0") and Perlman (5'1") met in 1970 when Rhea went to see an off-Broadway play, The Shrinking Bride ... which featured Danny.

The two began dating soon after, and lived together for 11 years before tying the knot.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Re: Thought This Marriage Was A Keeper

Postby Who's Wee Dug » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:52 pm

Maybe they started to the goals/balls in.
He willnae tak' a drink! I think he's deid! , on the other hand though A Midgie in yir hand is worth twa up yir kilt.
Who's Wee Dug

Postby wicked woman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:34 pm

That's sad.
Of all the forces in the universe, the hardest to overcome is the force of habit. Gravity is easy-peasy by comparison.
wicked woman

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:55 pm

That's really sad as they've actually been together for more like 40+ years - still some things need to be put to closed off if there's no saving it, better to admit than limping along for the sake of it :?
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby pip » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:35 am

A little shocked as well. Together since the seventies and now in there golden years . Its actually sad :cry:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Del » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:14 pm

Yeah that WAS sad. :(

Gotta respect the fact that they feel it is their business and noone elses too. No press. No statements. As it should be.

Really close friends of mine (for 20 years) have just separated after 35 years of marriage. :( :( I feel shattered ! They are BOTH equally my close friends. I love them both as much as each other and they had such a solid marriage I thought. Really really sad.

She feels relieved and quite happy. He is shocked and sad. I can understand both sides of it from both of their viewpoints but I feel so torn. I am happy for her because she is happy, and I want to be cheerful and happy with her.... and I feel sad for him because he is so upset, and that makes me sad.
Just keep swimming... just keep swimming.. just keep swimming....
Del

Postby Batty » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:09 pm

But you have to bear in mind that their separation is a shock for you, whereas they would have been coming to terms with their situation for a long time, before they separated.

You are still in shock, which is why you're so sad.

We know a couple who have gone their separate ways after being married for 43 years. It was a relief for both of them, but they still want to be friends and go on holidays together.
Going to my school was an education in itself. Which is not to be confused with actually getting an education (Schultz)
Batty

Postby pip » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:54 am

Thats a bit weird to be honest , the shared holiday thing. I'd find that one a bit confusing to be honest.
My mate still lives with his ex because they can't sell the house (irelands market has collapsed so they'd get a lot less than the mortgage) and its a tad frosty to say the least. His mid life crisis (motor bike ) was reversed over two weeks ago :lol:
'There is no future for e-books, because they are not books. E-books smell like burned fuel.'
Ray Bradbury (RIP)
pip

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:23 pm

pip wrote:Thats a bit weird to be honest , the shared holiday thing. I'd find that one a bit confusing to be honest.
My mate still lives with his ex because they can't sell the house (irelands market has collapsed so they'd get a lot less than the mortgage) and its a tad frosty to say the least. His mid life crisis (motor bike ) was reversed over two weeks ago :lol:

Not so crazy Pip. I was great friends with my ex-hubby when we split up... great dad, great friend, lousy husband. We used to stay at his mums place; him with his new wife and kids and me with mine. They would come to visit. The ex-arse put a stop to that though.

And my adult daughter still lives with her ex. Again... they are brilliant friends who both want the best for each other and still have alot in common... just not a bedroom. And both are openly dating other people.

You can fall in love with a good friend and it can blossom into love right? So it can happen the other way too. When it happened to me and my husband I found out that its more usual than you might think. Couples living together "as married" and they just never bother to tell everyone its gone to no more than them becoming flatmates, until one or the other wants to date again.
Del

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:44 pm

Ditto with me and housemate - still legal except I don't really go on holiday with him much anymore as it was partly that that caused the 'die off' (he was a travel agent and it all got very regimented and obsessive in that we'd keep going back to the same sort of places - as for flights and airports :shock: ) :shifty:

Since he's been ill we've come out of it on better terms and he's actually coming to Hogswatch with me as a bit of an experiment on the basis that it's me organising it and not him and see how that works out - one thing I will not be doing is ever again if I can help it is Disneyland Paris... :evil: I called it a day after visit #15 in 8 years up to 2007 - he's done at last double that again in trips since but luckily goes with someone else who's got Disney OCD :ugeek:
"Some men see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not.” George Bernard Shaw
Jan Van Quirm

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:53 pm

............ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Disneyland!......... :shock:

Okay. I would have beat him around the head with a concrete pair of Mickey ears. Do you not have theme parks in the UK? Did you do side trips?

Travelling with a partner is a strange thing... with my hubby; I could doze off on a trip and find ourselves in another STATE from where we were headed (and thats saying something in Australia!) just because he "followed a road to see what was down there", or "lets pop in and see so-and-so while we are in the area"....400 miles later. :lol:

With the ex-arse the children would practically be wetting their pants before he let me veer off the set route for a toilet break. Famous words when we were at the beach at Emu Park.. "I did NOT budget for an ice-cream for everyone today!" So I bought them. Really big melty licky cones while he fumed. :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby raisindot » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Reminds me of that old.

Elderly couple walks into a lawyer's office.

"We want a divorce," she says.

He nods. "How old are you?"

"I'm 97, and she's 96," says the husband.

"And how long have you been married?"

"75 years," says the wife.

"Really?" the lawyer says. "You've been together nearly your entire life. Why do you want to divorce now?"

"We wanted to wait until our kids were dead," says the husband.
raisindot

Postby Del » Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:37 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Del

Postby Bouncy Castle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:51 pm

With the ex-arse the children would practically be wetting their pants before he let me veer off the set route for a toilet break. Famous words when we were at the beach at Emu Park.. "I did NOT budget for an ice-cream for everyone today!" So I bought them. Really big melty licky cones while he fumed.

Oh gods, that is one controlling man.
Some are born great, some achieve greatness and some have greatness thrust upon them.

The rest of us are a bit crap.
Bouncy Castle

Postby Jan Van Quirm » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:16 pm

Del wrote:............ :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Disneyland!......... :shock:

Okay. I would have beat him around the head with a concrete pair of Mickey ears. Do you not have theme parks in the UK? Did you do side trips?

First we had the skiing fad (before he was a travel agent) and went at least twice every season - we didn't do UK hols although we did do theme parks outside London (local for us) and in Alton Towers (get up at 3 am to drive north to make opening time) at least twice a summer.
Then we had the safari fad, which I have to admit was really great (and co-incided with the travel agent era so we got good discounts on disgustingly good hotels :dance: ), but also co-incided with a zoo addiction where we joined Friends Howletts and Port Lympne Animal Parks and went nearly every weekend (luckily local) for about 8 years... :roll: I mean I love animals but really - every weekend practically :roll:
Then there was the cruise fad - this was when I was earning big money and he was still getting good freebies so at least I only had to unpack the one time on the 2-3 trips a year (safaris are a such a pain that way moving about the whole time... :P ) which at least meant I had good room service and coach trips while I was having my nervous breakdowns because of said big money-high pressure job... :shifty: Trouble is this was on the US Disneyworld fad era so we did their cruise ships (v. boring 4 night cruise to Bermuda out of Canaveral) and out of Tampa twice whilst sampling the delights of Florida *yawns* - although we also did the zoo parks at Bush Gardens and Tampa so at least it wasn't ALL mouse-related... :evil:

I know I sound really ungrateful - I went to a load of places I never thought I would and most of the time enjoyed myself but when we moved away from London and I got really ill it was really like battle fatigue almost, (especially with going to the Paris Disneyland so much - talk about boring! :shifty: ) and part of my problem had got to be with the answer to everything being - let's go on holiday Image and also all the hassle of 'going' and the attendant slog through airports - I now hate to travel by plane unless it's somewhere I really want to go to.

So when I say the housemate is my best friend it's actually a compliment because it's a friendship that's been practically tested to destruction and he still makes me laugh (even if it's still with a facial tic like Inspector Dreyfus' in Pink Panther Image).
Jan Van Quirm

Next

Return to The Broken Drum